DPMS AR-15 Rifles and Accessories

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2550959 - 10/01/13 10:55 PM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: GC]
Kiyotes Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Upper, Mi
Originally Posted By: GC
Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes
...Brobee, I'd not even bother with the 5 and 20 yard tests.

40, 50 maybe even 60 would be way more relevant information for most of us here.

But no matter what you do, Thanks for doing it.

+1 to shooting at a more practical distance. More chokes of varying constrictions would be helpful. Be careful about drawing conclusions from the result of a single shot. One shot simply isn't enough statistical data to conclude the result as a fact. As coyote hunters we aren't all that concerned with steel shot loads so lead and tungsten of B size and up to No. Four Buck is where it is at.

Beyond that this is a staggering amount of work, sweat, time and expense that few can really appreciate. I do understand this and I do appreciate your efforts. I think they could be an excellent contribution to all the data at the top of the page in the big shotgun sticky if you were so inclined as to post them there. Derbyacresbob did some very good penetration testing that is contained in that thread and there are numerous choke, load and pattern test in there for a reference.

+2

#2551009 - 10/02/13 12:50 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
Dogface Offline
Predator Master

Loc: PA
Very interesting. I'll look forward to your future tests.

BTW I like your presentation. Stright and to the point.

Thanks!!

#2552840 - 10/06/13 12:55 PM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
BrobeeBiter Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB
Hi again!

As suggested by you folks, here's my first attempt at a longer range format. I made some mistakes (ie: not enough gelatin for the 20 and 40 yard blocks, and not enough rounds in the 20 yard test) - I'll fix these in future episodes though!

Federal Premium Copper Plated Lead 00 Buckshot with FliteControl Wad:

http://youtu.be/S546W_L0tFo

Thoughts about the test format?

Next to edit - same format for #4 buckshot.

Cheers,

Brobee

#2555540 - 10/12/13 10:12 PM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
BrobeeBiter Offline

Got another one edited up this weekend...and I've been using it to deadly effect on coyotes this past month out of my new versamax! 6 and counting so far...:)

Hornady's Varmint Express Lead #4 Buckshot:

http://youtu.be/3VTk_7884r8

I got out this past weekend and filmed a bunch of different slug reviews...will get to editing them pronto!

Cheers, and thanks for watching.

Brobee

Edited by BrobeeBiter (10/12/13 10:19 PM)

#2555648 - 10/13/13 08:07 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
dennyd Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: mn
I have been doing some pattern testing with black cloud steel BBB, all i can say is i am going to use these for yotes this winter, i know it goes aganist all wisdom here but i got to try em. Of the loads i have tried nothing patterns like black cloud. I hope you get to testing the BBB BC loads because i want to see how your guns do.

#2555662 - 10/13/13 09:16 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: dennyd]
BrobeeBiter Offline

Originally Posted By: dennyd
I have been doing some pattern testing with black cloud steel BBB, all i can say is i am going to use these for yotes this winter, i know it goes aganist all wisdom here but i got to try em. Of the loads i have tried nothing patterns like black cloud. I hope you get to testing the BBB BC loads because i want to see how your guns do.

As luck would have it, I long-range-tested the Black Cloud BBB load just this past weekend. I'm working on editing the long range test episode for Hornady's 3 inch BB load first, but then I'll edit the steel BBB episode.

The steel BBB patterns super-tight in all my cylinder bored and improved cylinder guns, but the long range gelatin test with it was eye-opening in the disappointment department. I've been out hunting coyote with all three, and the #4 lead buckshot is definitely the most effective.

As soon as I get the bb episode uploaded, (and maybe a couple coyote hunting episodes I've also got filmed) my plan is to approach hornady and see if I can pitch to them a 3 inch versatile wadded T or F swaged lead load...I think it would be awesome for coyote! I'll also ask for a high density tungsten BBB load. When I go to do this though, it would sure help for hornady to see there is a big market for them....having a mega high view count on my videos would sure help in this department, so please pass the links out to your friends and help me get my hit count up!

Cheers, and thanks for your help!

Brobee

Edited by BrobeeBiter (10/13/13 09:17 AM)

#2555677 - 10/13/13 10:08 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
Mike B Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Berrysburg, PA
Thanx for all your effort - I feel like we oughta be contributing to all you guys that work on this stuff and take all the time to post it all - gotta be expensive and very time-consuming.

Question - I didn't catch it even reviewing it again, but what choke were you using this time with the Hornady round?

#2555683 - 10/13/13 10:22 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: dennyd]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
i know it goes aganist all wisdom here but i got to try em.

I had to touch the electric fence too. He11, I didn't believe em when they said it would shock me. lol

Of the loads i have tried nothing patterns like black cloud.

Even good patterns don't mean much if the shot won't do the damage needed to incapacitate. I'm sure the BC will do the job if the coyote is close enough though. So will a #8 dove load. Good luck.

#2555692 - 10/13/13 10:39 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: Mike B]
BrobeeBiter Offline

Originally Posted By: Mike B
Thanx for all your effort - I feel like we oughta be contributing to all you guys that work on this stuff and take all the time to post it all - gotta be expensive and very time-consuming.

Question - I didn't catch it even reviewing it again, but what choke were you using this time with the Hornady round?

My 870 police mags have improved cylinder for choke.

For now, I think the best way for anyone to contribute is to simply spread the word around their social networks...if I can build a healthy audience it will greatly enable me to do more next spring/summer/fall. I managed to film about another dozen or so episodes on top of what I've posted so far; I'll be editing them together over the next few months and posting them as I get them done, tut after that I'm likely going to gauge interest to decide if I'm going to keep going.

Cheers, and thanks for watching!

Brobee

#2555700 - 10/13/13 10:54 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
dennyd Offline
Seasoned Member

My best black cloud BBB's patterns come from improved cyl choke, i want to say they start out at 1450fps, i can't imagine a coyote running away to join it's mates after getting a facefull of these.

#2555711 - 10/13/13 11:23 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: dennyd]
BrobeeBiter Offline

My best black cloud BBB's patterns come from improved cyl choke, i want to say they start out at 1450fps, i can't imagine a coyote running away to join it's mates after getting a facefull of these.

It's happened to me....range was about 55 yards. Was kinda strange to see his fur take the hit, then have him run across about 800 yards of open field before disappearing into the bush.

In my opinion, steel projectiles are significantly inferior to lead, and not even in the same universe as HD shot.

Brobee

#2555715 - 10/13/13 11:46 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
Mike B Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Berrysburg, PA
Originally Posted By: BrobeeBiter
Originally Posted By: Mike B

My 870 police mags have improved cylinder for choke.

For now, I think the best way for anyone to contribute is to simply spread the word around their social networks...if I can build a healthy audience it will greatly enable me to do more next spring/summer/fall. I managed to film about another dozen or so episodes on top of what I've posted so far; I'll be editing them together over the next few months and posting them as I get them done, tut after that I'm likely going to gauge interest to decide if I'm going to keep going.

Cheers, and thanks for watching!

Brobee

Hmmm! That's pretty good patterns at 40 yds for an improved cylinder! Thanx!

#2555717 - 10/13/13 11:50 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
dennyd Offline
Seasoned Member

Thats a ways out there for steel, if Federal would make t shot with the flite control wad it might worth a look, Les Johnson used to swear by t-shot steel in the days before the FC wad came along.
Originally Posted By: BrobeeBiter

It's happened to me....range was about 55 yards. Was kinda strange to see his fur take the hit, then have him run across about 800 yards of open field before disappearing into the bush.

In my opinion, steel projectiles are significantly inferior to lead, and not even in the same universe as HD shot.

Brobee

Edited by dennyd (10/13/13 11:51 AM)

#2559407 - 10/21/13 02:49 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: dennyd]
RMc Offline

Loc: Alabama
Since you are cutting open a shell in each test, it would be of interest if you included the actual weight and diameter of the pellets. This would be of particular interest since the SAAMI specifications are nominal + .015" Most buckshot pellets are smaller than nominal.

#2562301 - 10/27/13 09:18 AM Re: 12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning [Re: BrobeeBiter]
BrobeeBiter Offline

Just finished editing and uploading another episode, this time a long range review of the Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote Nickel Plated Lead BB:

http://youtu.be/smJRQHss26w

Cheers,

Brobee

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Jack Roberts, OldTurtle, venatic 

Forum Stats
47310 Members
80 Forums
280879 Topics
2658569 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
bryan, Carolina Coyote, Chris Schroeder, Dave Henderson, deaddogsrus, Drhunter, elkhunter2002, Gary Denbo, Gregtex, jrbb00, mboyd4546, Richard R., RPukay, Yote76

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.