Checking Headspace

UncleDoc

Without using the "go/no go" gauges what is the preferred way to properly check the actual headspace of a chamber? Got a friend who is shooting a Handi Rifle and just had some case head separations. I believe he has more headspace than he needs. And on a different but related subject am I correct that the headspace for a .308 Winchester is the same as for the .243 Winchester, .260 Remington and the 7mm-08 Remington, 1.627" to 1.634"?

Been looking at a RCBS precision mic to check fired cases against SAAMI specs and it seems to me that if you had a .308 it would work for the other cartridges as well.

Last edited:
You could put a piece of scotch tape on the head of a factory round and use it as a no go guage.

Are they factory load separating or reloads? If they are handloads he is oversizing them for that chamber..

Originally Posted By: UncleDocWithout using the "go/no go" gauges what is the preferred way to properly check the actual headspace of a chamber? Got a friend who is shooting a Handi Rifle and just had some case head separations. I believe he has more headspace than he needs. And on a different but related subject am I correct that the headspace for a .308 Winchester is the same as for the .243 Winchester, .260 Remington and the 7mm-08 Remington, 1.627" to 1.634"?

Been looking at a RCBS precision mic to check fired cases against SAAMI specs and it seems to me that if you had a .308 it would work for the other cartridges as well.

Don't waste your money on gauges - the Handi rifle is a weak break open action and has tons of flex under pressure... so what ever you measure it at, it will chang during firing.

You CANNOT control the headspace of a Handi Rifle - they are designed to be fired and toss the case, cuz it has already stretched too much.

Except it.

That's kind of what I was thinking. But it's almost akin to telling him his kids are ugly. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a well recognized benchrest shooter in these parts and he suggested that my friend by a rifle. I guess that means the Handi is out!

Are you of the opinion that my comment on the case gauges is correct? In other words the HS on a .243 is the same as the .260 and .308, so if you get the case gauge with the larger bore the HS reading would be the same for all?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDocThat's kind of what I was thinking. But it's almost akin to telling him his kids are ugly. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a well recognized benchrest shooter in these parts and he suggested that my friend by a rifle. I guess that means the Handi is out!

Are you of the opinion that my comment on the case gauges is correct? In other words the HS on a .243 is the same as the .260 and .308, so if you get the case gauge with the larger bore the HS reading would be the same for all?

Yup... all same, same.

The link that was posted to an article by Mike Bellm is very interesting and enlightening on headspace, especially as it relates to break-open actions such as Handi Rifles and TC rifles/pistols. It provides some insight into the issue of headspace on bolt action rifles as well as rimless cases without shoulders if you think a bit outside the box.

Were the separations with factory ammo or hand loads? That can make a difference. While break actions certainly are flexy, it is easy to oversize the cases and create excessive head space. If the chamber is oversized and he is sizing the fired cases to minimum size, the brass is getting overworked and will separate very quickly. If this is happening with factory ammo, the rifle needs to go back to H&R for service.

I have a couple of Contenders and deal with the flexing by staying within pressure specs and by adjusting the dies to size the minimum amount that will allow the action to lock up. That way the cases are not worked nearly as much and they last much longer

Last edited:
Back