The tale of the INVINCIBLE coyote, and blue Montana skies.

getemclose

well folks im back onto the forum and if things go as planned will have a season full of coyote hunting adventures and mishaps.

I have not posted in a very long time so hopefully I still have a few around who remember me and if not well hopefully I don't bore you all too death!

My friend Marty and I are crazy about calling coyotes. in fact it takes up 90% of our free time during the months of October-February. im 22 years old and Marty is somewhere in his 50s, I forget.
crazy.gif
. He is the only person I know who has the passion for this sport like I do, well he is the one responsible for getting me into. Let me tell you we have been through allot together and its more of a father/son bond. you will notice he is about the only person I hunt with throughout my stories. my schedule is allot more open then his in the winter so I also have my fair share of solo trips.

anyways I realize its pretty early still but Marty and I had to work some rust off. we hunt a hometown tournament in late October and we need to be in mid season for by then! You see the hunt is in memory of Martys only son who we lost in a car wreck. The hunt means the WORLD to me. I never want to have an excuse as to why I didn't bring my all to it in the memory of Luke. he was also my best friend. we have been fortunate to win it two years running and Ill do my very very best to try to bring it home every year.

We decided to go out for the morning as temps were a cool 40 degrees.. LOVE IT! know folks what your about to hear is the honest to God truth and something that truly is UNREAL... and HILARIOUS. We packed our stuff and headed to an awesome first set. set up on a fenceline with pasture to our left and a freshly cut wheat field, and cool breeze in our face. Immediately upon marty firing up call a coyote come bounding in across the wheatfield. Unfortunately he didn't like something and began skirting us at 400 yards. All of the sudden this coyote to our left in the pasture come blazing in barking his head off. Marty lined him up at 280 across a small valley and smoked him low in the chest. OFF he goes barking and carrying on. The shot looked lethal. Back on the call and 10 minutes later here come another coyote from the pasture. I pick up my binos and see blood all down his chest. ITS HIM AGAIN. This time he runs into 150 and marty shoots nother 60gr hollow point and SMOKES him high in the back. down he goes and rolls down the hill. Once again were back on the call and a 5 minutes later a coyote is sounding off two valleys over. I decide to take action and I grab my rifle and off I go. im a little late and see the coyote leaving out. Thing is he is bleeding down his chest and has a big chunk missing out of his back...... WHAT. honestly he looked fine as he walked off into the rising sun. I go back and look for were he should have been dead and theres no sign. this coyote is one tough S.O.B..

We head down the road and set up for another set overlooking some more pasture and wheatfield.. On the call marty is and it wasn't long and Two hard chargers are coming across the wheatfield. I pick up the glasses and...... ITS HIM. bloody and beaten up he is HARD CHARGING. Marty lines him up, barks.. barks... yells... he aint stopping folks. 5 running shots later im laughing my butt off and marty is scratching his head. We were about 2 miles down from our last stand. This coyote must have suffered from short term memory loss. UNREAL.

We are rusty as you can tell but its time to turn things around. The next set were overlooking an awesome valley and it didn't take long. I was prone on a point and two coyotes decided to take on my .243 head on coming up a fenceline.

We decided to try one more set and call in a coyote from the furthest horizon you see in this picture. what a site. big sky country at its finest.

Anyways its late and I better get to bed. hope you enjoyed and expect hundreds of more photos and stories. I have a feeling its going to be a season for the ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHOOO HOOO getemclose is back!

It is great to have you back posting your pictures and hunting stories!

That is some pretty country. I wish it was that cool down here where I am at.

That's one tough and coyote..
Glad to see ya posting again.. I really enjoy reading about your adventures and seeing the photo's..
I'm sorry to hear of Marty's son Luke passing... Thats a terrible thing, and something no one should ever have to go through..
Best of luck in the tournament. Keep us posted..

Jerry

Thats a great story and great pics, congrats!

Interesting behavior on that yote especially this time of the year being that aggressive. I don't want to be "debby Downer" here or anything but am curious to hear others thoughts on why he was this aggressive? The most aggressive coyotes that I have either shot or shot at and missed/hit badly were either dead or turned into a fur rocket. The only thing I can think of to make him lose his mind like that before and after being shot would be rabies.

Any other ideas?

Either way it looks like a fun hunt, good luck in your tournament!

personally I just think he wasn't the brightest coyote to grace this earth. haha, he acted pretty typical otherwise as far a body language. short term memory lol

getemclose isn't telling you that he was sporting a heavy dose of Old Spice on that day. The old bit*h coyote just wanted to get a little closer to getemclose.

Got a prediction on how many the M&M crew is gonna kill this winter?

That's some great looking country you have access to there. I know what you mean about the difficulty of finding a predator hunting partner who can match intensity and focus. Most of my hunting partners are dabblers, so it takes some convincing to get them out chasing predators.

Thanks for sharing your stories. Your indestructible coyote seems to explain some of the runners we all experience at times.

That's just unreal. That's either one hungry coyote or it's dumb as a coal bucket (as I heard a guy say one time).

I do wish we had more coyote opportunities here like you guys do.

Thanks for the post, and welcome back.

I can honestly think I would be afraid of that coyote! If that thing takes that kind of beating and keeps coming back, it has to be possessed! That's a crazy cool story, I would not know what to think.

Looks like the country we hunt here in northwest ND...I am sure you are not too far from us in MT.

great story mitch! great being out again isn't it? I had to go out too last weekend too. best of luck in the tournament too wish we could make it. see you in Mandan???

Glad your back. I don't visit the site as much as I use to cause it seemed to have lost a little something to me but your pics will give me another reason to check in. Its between you, skinney, and derby something or another from cali, and the guy with the buster the dog for best stories and pics on here. To bad tony is gone too. Good luck this year and don't let the little jabs on here from some us jealous guys run you off again.

Mitch,

Good to have ya back. Looking forward of the story's and pics from your adventures. Tell Marty he better get armor piercing bullets. Them coyotes are wearing flak jackets now....lol.

Well, get after them kid....keep us posted.

Sorry for your guys loss of a loved one, here's hoping for a threepeat in his memory.

I'll echo the praise, by far my favorite poster and glad to see you back. Good luck on the season and hunt safe.

Back