Whats your opinions on the PVS-14?

Blake Cunningham

Ok, so Iv been considering picking up some NV. From what Ive read Im gonna need at least a gen3 unit capable of scanning and shooting. How easily is the monocle attached to the weapon? How does it attach? and what optics is it compatible with? Currently I have a LR-308 with a 3x9x40 Leupold mounted on it for hogs and a Ruger m77 22-250 for coyotes also with a 3x9x40 Leupold. is it even possible to utilize it with these set ups.

http://www.cstactical.com/optics/night-t...-monocular.html

Sorry for my ignorance with this stuff but I have only gawked over such items in the past. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!

the PVS-14 is not rated for the recoil you will have. may work on the 22-250 but your warranty may not. it is a pain to use the same device to scan with as to shoot with. so before going into the mounts needed you may want to consider a dedicated NV rifle scope and a thermal device to scan with.

Yea i was afraid of that! I have a JP muzzle break that reduces recoil to about what a .223 ar is.

So what are some setups yall use for scanning and shooting? Sounds to me like Im gonna have to dish out some serious coin for something worth having. $3000 is pushing it when it comes to funding. Also I dont wanna dedicate my rifles to night only. Im thinking Ill stick with my xlr 250 and spotlight.

I don't have any good answers for 3k... everyone I know start with spending 3k and soon learn they need to spend more or just stick with the light you have. if you buy something to see in the dark with and then switch over to a flashlight to shoot, you are going to be very frustrated.

Yea, thats what im starting to realize.

What about using the PVS-14 head mounted and using a gun mounted Ir laser? Seems like i read something about that somewhere??

Thanx for the info! Think ill just pick up a good head mounted scanning light for now until I hit the lotto or get a sponsor. haha Either way doesnt look promising

Get a PS32 thermal for scanning. Then light them up to shoot. You want to be careful with NV, thermal, of any kind though. Once you get it you want more.

check out the high tech redneck, a sponsor I have one of his with his MX160 and his jack rabbit mount behind a weaver 2.5-10x and it will do it out to 300 with a torch pro might check with him on the 308?

it is a system for one shooter as far as adjusting the focus what looks good for you may not for the guy next to you, but it is very fast to go from scanning to rifle

We find the PVS-14's the most versatile systems out there for scanning and engaging with head mounted systems. Using a IR laser on your shootin' stick with the 14 strapped on your melon is like shooting in a video game. Very effective.

To the OP, we have a just few PVS-14 L3 Comspec units left at $2650.00. Give us a call and we can get out all the details. Thank you.

Vic

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCWe find the PVS-14's the most versatile systems out there for scanning and engaging with head mounted systems. Using a IR laser on your shootin' stick with the 14 strapped on your melon is like shooting in a video game. Very effective.

To the OP, we have a just few PVS-14 L3 Comspec units left at $2650.00. Give us a call and we can get out all the details. Thank you.
PM me if you have any commercial spec pvs14's left. Thanks
Vic

If you have $3000 to spend go with the MX-160 it rated for .308
Or buy a ps-32 to scan and mount a light on gun.

Both are a good way to get started.

WARNING you will buy more.

Yes it is very addictive, wanting a third PVS 14 for myself since the kids think all these high tech devises are theirs now. My sons gonna get my old pvs 14 to finish off his HTRN NV scope. I want a multicam go along with my OPS Core Mapar helmet,Dbal d-2, and a FLIR PS32....... Thinking about adding a d760 to the arsenal if Shurshot will hurry up and talk me into it.

hurry hurry hurry!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: the impactzonecheck out the high tech redneck, a sponsor I have one of his with his MX160 and his jack rabbit mount behind a weaver 2.5-10x and it will do it out to 300 with a torch pro might check with him on the 308?

it is a system for one shooter as far as adjusting the focus what looks good for you may not for the guy next to you, but it is very fast to go from scanning to rifle

You can check out all of our Signature Series Scopes here: http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/Night_Vision_Scopes_s/2.htm

With the exception of the ITT NE PVS-14 all are recoil rated up to .308, there is no problem at all with making the switch from scan to shooting. You can go on you tube (search High Tech Red Neck Predator Hunting) or do a search here and see videos for yourself that switching is not a problem nor is shooting accurately out to 300 yards in complete darkness. You can do better than that once the moon comes out and you can adjust your variable scope on up to the higher ranges under these conditions. Kevin

Originally Posted By: the impactzonecheck out the high tech redneck, a sponsor I have one of his with his MX160 and his jack rabbit mount behind a weaver 2.5-10x and it will do it out to 300 with a torch pro might check with him on the 308?

Forgot to comment on Phil's second point. All monoculars including the PVS-14 have a diopter adjustment on the rear objective lens that must be adjusted to the unique optical prescription of the person using the monocular. If you are the only one using the monocular then this is basically a one time adjustment. If you have a buddy that wants to look thorough it, he will have to adjust the diopter to his own optical prescription. This is a very basic adjustment as you just rotate the diopter adjustment until you get a clear picture. This is really no different that the diopter adjustment on a binocular or a riflescope. I'm not sure if the dedicated scopes require this adjustment but I would guess that they do as each person's eye prescription will be different. Kevin

Originally Posted By: HTRN57Originally Posted By: the impactzonecheck out the high tech redneck, a sponsor I have one of his with his MX160 and his jack rabbit mount behind a weaver 2.5-10x and it will do it out to 300 with a torch pro might check with him on the 308?

Forgot to comment on Phil's second point. All monoculars including the PVS-14 have a diopter adjustment on the rear objective lens that must be adjusted to the unique optical prescription of the person using the monocular. If you are the only one using the monocular then this is basically a one time adjustment. If you have a buddy that wants to look thorough it, he will have to adjust the diopter to his own optical prescription. This is a very basic adjustment as you just rotate the diopter adjustment until you get a clear picture. This is really no different that the diopter adjustment on a binocular or a riflescope. I'm not sure if the dedicated scopes require this adjustment but I would guess that they do as each person's eye prescription will be different. Kevin

that was my perception having 4 guys on the range and the farther we got out the more adjustment was needed to meet each shooters eyes, not a problem with one set of eyes but to hand off to a newbie from 50 to 300 took time

Back