California Legal AR Choices

Smesh

In Canada, I could possess an AR which was considered "restricted", but I couldn't hunt with it. I could only use it for competition, and since there was no real three-gun around where I lived, I didn't get one.

I've done all my predator hunting with bolts guns, other than this one time in Texas when I got to use an AR from a pickup:

sheldon-ar15-coyotes.jpg

Now that I live in the US, I want to get an AR for coyotes, but since I'm in SoCal, I'm told my options are limited. I'm having trouble figuring out which AR's are California legal as some info seems out of date and there is no info in the stickies. I'd prefer to stay with 5.56, but I may also consider a .243. I'm hoping to stay around $1500 or less. The guys at the BassPro shop I went to yesterday couldn't tell me much. The one guy I talked to said the Remington clones are illegal here, and there was a HUGE line of people ahead of me at the gun counter, so after 30 minutes of waiting, I left. The only AR they seemed to have behind the counter was a Smith & Wesson.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Lol. I hear you. I've been here 1.5 years and I think about moving back to Canada every day. Still here though. Sigh. I work in the film and television industry now, and do some advertising and commercials, so this is where the deals are made, at least for now. Been suffering serious withdrawal after moving from a horse ranch with my own shooting range and tree-stands for deer just a short walk from my back door. It's not ideal for my hunting lifestyle, but it is what it is. I'm finally going to learn to make the best of it.

I'm looking into the Remington and the Mossberg MMR in .556 now. Just have to figure out how to get one here that's legal or how to make it so.

I have a Windham Weaponry SRC CA Compliant AR that I have done some work to. The bullet button seems to be the only thing that is different from an AR bought in Nevada. Our local Gun Shop has a few brands. DPMS is on of them. Get on the CA DOJ Website and see if they have a list of evil black rifles they don't want in the state. Don't forget the 10 round limit for mags.
DSCN2159_zpsd890c97e.jpg

Last edited:
Powerfisher is right about checking out the CA DOJ site. It can be some what confusing but it should be able to point you in the right direction of what is legal and illegal to own in California. I purchased a Remington R-15 from a company called Personal Security Zone in Nevada and they installed a bullet button on the rifle before shipping it to my local FFL.

Great advice guys. Thanks. Josh that was very helpful. Now I know I can get something installed to make it legal and ship to local FFL and not worry about a particular model being on some black list that will get a guy in trouble.

Isn't this new semi-auto rifle ban that is working its way to the Govenor's desk going to make all AR variant rifles illegal in California?

Back