Anyone from VA been doin any huntin?

I have been out once or twice during late august. Im afraid of educating the little smart bastards. Im near boones mill. If ya go back out any time soon and close to rocky mount, Westlake area id love to just tag along to watch!!!!

Been a few weeks since I been out. This hot weather makes for some nasty hunts with ticks and mosquitoes. I recently got some reports from several farms that they have been hearing some howls in the evenings and early mornings. They say it sounds like a frenzy, which leads me to believe it may be young pups with a fresh kill.

I have been enjoying the dove hunting though!

url]
[/img]

We have killed a couple and have seen some and heard plenty.Here where we live you have to have alot of things go right to kill these coyotes because people are every where when you are trying to hunt them.We try to do things different to smoke them!

Originally Posted By: Muskyman22808My friends and I have been out a few times. We had a great hunt last weekend killing 6 yotes and two reds.

Are you telling us you killed two red foxes the last weekend of August?

If so, look below.

From the Virginia DGIF site:
Fox
Firearms
Season:
November 1 though February 28

Code of Virginia - Title 29.1 Game, Inland Fisheries And Boating - Section 29.1-517 Fur-bearing animals

Legal Research Home > Virginia Lawyer

§ 29.1-517. Fur-bearing animals

A landowner may shoot fur-bearing animals except muskrats or raccoons, upon his own land during closed season. When muskrats or raccoons are damaging crops or dams, the owner of the premises may kill them or have them killed under a permit obtained from the conservation police officer.

(Code 1950, § 29-139; 1964, c. 207; 1987, c. 488; 2004, c. 421; 2007, c. 87.)

No prob...acording to several game wardens, anyone who has permission from the landowner may also kill foxes anytime, even in counties where fox is completely closed.

Thanks cec. Everyone has been questioning us on that. There are a lot more game laws other than the ones that are in the book they print out.

Originally Posted By: cec
A landowner may shoot fur-bearing animals except muskrats or raccoons, upon his own land during closed season.

According to that, bobcats and beaver are fair game too.

I have never seen that in the published game laws that the DGIF puts out.

Thanks for the clarification.

Originally Posted By: vatikkashooterOriginally Posted By: cec
A landowner may shoot fur-bearing animals except muskrats or raccoons, upon his own land during closed season.

According to that, bobcats and beaver are fair game too.

I have never seen that in the published game laws that the DGIF puts out.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yep and you probably never will...Jason

They don't want to encourage everybody out there to kill and not harvest fur bearers out of season and while the young of the year are still vulnerable. Otherwise these rules get abused by the general public to kill un-prime and immature fur for the sake of another target. It is a rule that has a time and place and is more of a small exception than a free pass to shoot summer time critters other than listed nuisance species. The rule has merit when the fox is in the hen house so to speak and follows along with the rural rules of Shoot-Shovel-Shut up in my opinion
wink.gif
. Rules like these are usually kept on the down low until a complaint comes forward where you need assistance protecting your livestock.

The funny thing is cant kill coons and they get after my chickens and turkeys more then anything else. I agree this should not be the general rule of thumb, would be alot less foxes in the prime. All the same if the law is being followed not much you can say or do...more of a ethical thing not to blast them all year long.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYThey don't want to encourage everybody out there to kill and not harvest fur bearers out of season and while the young of the year are still vulnerable. Otherwise these rules get abused by the general public to kill un-prime and immature fur for the sake of another target. It is a rule that has a time and place and is more of a small exception than a free pass to shoot summer time critters other than listed nuisance species. The rule has merit when the fox is in the hen house so to speak and follows along with the rural rules of Shoot-Shovel-Shut up in my opinion
wink.gif
. Rules like these are usually kept on the down low until a complaint comes forward where you need assistance protecting your livestock.

couldn't agree more... Don't abuse it..Jason

Part IV
Miscellaneous

4VAC15-110-80. Killing by landowner.

A landowner may kill or have killed foxes at any time on his own land.

Statutory Authority

§§ 29.1-501 and 29.1-502 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR325-02-8 § 4.1; amended, Virginia Register Volume 13, Issue 18, eff. July 1, 1997.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what DGIF is basing telling us that we can kill foxes with a directive of the landowner. Meaning the landowner may have the foxes killed by someone else of his choosing. Make sure you have a WRITTEN DIRECTIVE, not just permission to hunt foxes
===========================================================
I've posted this probably a dozen times over the years.
Like Corey said: "Don't abuse it"!! I would hesitate to even post about fox kills this time of year, especially on any public forum.
This is VADGIF regulation, not Statute Code, so with the right(wrong) pressure, it could be recinded at any time!
Wait until the open season to post fox kills, please! For all of our sake....
F1

Originally Posted By: Flyrod1Part IV
Miscellaneous

Statutory Authority

Historical Notes

Derived from VR325-02-8 § 4.1; amended, Virginia Register Volume 13, Issue 18, eff. July 1, 1997.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what DGIF is basing telling us that we can kill foxes with a directive of the landowner. Meaning the landowner may have the foxes killed by someone else of his choosing. Make sure you have a WRITTEN DIRECTIVE, not just permission to hunt foxes
Like Corey said: "Don't abuse it"!! I would hesitate to even post about fox kills this time of year, especially on any public forum.
This is VADGIF regulation, not Statute Code, so with the right(wrong) pressure, it could be recinded at any time!
F1

Before everyone starts bashing maybe you should get some more info. All of these animals were killed on a farm that has been having alot of problems with their livestock etc being killed and pets dissapearing. The landowner was ecstatic that we did what we did and wants us to come back. If doing a service for a local farmer within the laws of the state and posting pictures of it should not be done, then I would say to stop posting pics all together. We did nothing wrong and Im not ashamed of it or wanting to hide it from anyone.

by this regulation...the fur-bears have to be a nuissance before you can hunt them. Does that mean we have to demonstrate proof that they are damaging animals on my property? OR can we hunt these predators early in the season because we own the land?

Hey guys, I'm working in Hopewell, Va for the next 8-10 months. I'm looking for any places to hunt in the area. Does anyone know of any landowners having any problems? I'm originally from Alabama and being away during hunting season is killing me.

Originally Posted By: Muskyman22808Originally Posted By: Flyrod1Part IV
Miscellaneous

Statutory Authority

Historical Notes

F1

Before everyone starts bashing maybe you should get some more info. All of these animals were killed on a farm that has been having alot of problems with their livestock etc being killed and pets dissapearing. The landowner was ecstatic that we did what we did and wants us to come back. If doing a service for a local farmer within the laws of the state and posting pictures of it should not be done, then I would say to stop posting pics all together. We did nothing wrong and Im not ashamed of it or wanting to hide it from anyone.

I don't think anyone is trying to bash you Musky, only suggesting a little discretion might be best. Some things are just better kept to yourself. Certainly not the kind of attention you want to attract to your club or to predator hunting as a sport. Personally I prefer not to hunt (except for coyotes) until I know the fur is prime, but that's just me.

Back