Attention Ohio Coyote hunters! Important news

Behconsult

My yote hunting ventures in my county have been somewhat lukewarm this year at best. Ok they stunk....
As a researcher by trade, and affiliated with a university, I have been networking through the state of Ohio with some folks I know regarding locating problem farms with coyote. Turns out, while I haven't really seen crap this year, numerous farmers have been reporting major coyote problems in my county.
I have discussed with the state and am thinking of creating a nuisance reporting web site for Ohio farmers to report and seek assistance. I'm pretty web saavy and can design something that PM folks can log into to see what farms in their areas have reported and seek help.
I'm not interested in making money, but rather interested in lowering my tax bill cause us Ohioans pay for livestock kills by yotes. It makes more sense environmentally as well. If you spend so many hours yote hunting, isn't it better that it be spend the time getting the one's that are causing the problems? Is there support for this among PM's Ohio gunners I ask?

I have personally called the odow, and got names of some of the farmers, they will give them too you if the landowner agrees, most of the places ive talked too have the amish coming in from time to time and driving the crap out of the woods and shooting them,so they are prettty wary alot of the time, and then of course the amish look like hereos and come back for gun season and mow everything down in site.
just wish they would stay in their own communities to hunt, BUT I GUESS THATS PRETTY HARD EHN THEY KILL EVERYTHING IN SITE AND DONT THINK THEY SHOULD FOLLOW OHIO LAWS, but thats a whole different subject, good luck if it works sounds great

It is good to find interested folks, 88 would be nice for each county. The state paid $160K+ this past year mostly for sheep kills (minimum amount$) and a few other species. Here I thought my county was bad for yote hunting; to hear today that 12 farms+ this past winter had yote problems bad enough to contact the state for advice/help. They should have called me!

I have been In contact with the DNR alot. They have been helpful were they can. I also contacted the local wardens and get some help from them.

I would be very interested!

If I can help out in anyway please let me know.

Brent

Behconsult,
A web site that coyote hunters could keep track of to find out who's having problems, where the coyote packs are running, farmer's sightings, etc. would be great.

I'm in Allen county and we just don't seem to have the complaints that some of the other counties have with coyotes. Plenty of sightings during the deer gun season and it's not hard to get permission to hunt. However, I hunt alone and prefer to call instead of drive with others, so I don't see more than 1 or 2 coyotes in 10 sets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif It sure would be nice to hunt in a heavier coyote populated area, for a change. At least...maybe, the "learning curve" wouldn't be so sharp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Anyway, great idea. Good luck with your endevours!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

count me in we saw one 2 days in a row eating on dn deer out behind work we even got to watch it chase deer around (posted prop)

I have made the formal requests into the state of Ohio (AKA legal for the Sunshine Laws AKA public information act). For ease, I'll post the county rankings according to claims by the state; then will figure out how to distribute the names of farmers from the state. I prefer to stick to PM members and keep it in the family. Will post as soon as I receive. Bob

Greenside,

Most farmers welcome coyote hunters with open arms. But, you haft to get results! Even if it means snaring or traping the coyotes. I do what ever I haft to to get the job done. If I cant call them and get results then I go in and trap them, this will keep you on the good side of the farmers and help there problems. Plus they pass the good news on to other farmers. all the stanards apply though, gates being close, and all that stuff, shoot I even pack out trash I find laying around in there, stuff like that.

I make sure that they see what I call or trap off there farm. Give them a card with my name and address and all the contact info they need.

I dont know how one would set it up to were there were not several people asking the same farmer. Could be a problem?

Brent

Not from Ohio but close. Great idea

This might help with the 30 hunters at a time issue.
I was looking at a site for a lodge that had a calender showing what rooms were scheduled and for how long.
Give each farm a number and a calender and have the hunters sign up/schedule.

I found the link.
http://www.rentors.org/calendar.cfm?pid=1780

Just thought of this also.
Insurance companies should post where car/deer accidents happen most often. WIN/WIN ?

Back