6.5 Grendel??????

wisel86

I was wanting to know what kind of distance you all have been pushing your 6.5 grendel to? I have taken mine out to 430 yards blowen up milk jugs. im burning through some wolf gold just for the brass then gonna load up some 123gr A-max

I bought this upper to be my reach out and touch em gun. a buddy of mine said he had his dope card worked out to 900 but he is a heck of a shot.

So what load you shootin? how far you taken it and pics are always good.

31.5 gr CFE 223, 123 gr Nosler Custom Competition, Lapua brass, CCI 450 primer. Runs 2750FPS from my Black Hole 24" Bull barrel.

The Grendel is one of the few chamberingss I have long wanted, but never gotten. I like it. I was gonna get an upper for my AR for deer hunting, until I saw what 62-70gr TSXs do to deer, first hand. ( I was also holding out for a Detroit Gunworks upper).

I'll be interested in reading the replies. Probably end up wanting a Grendel again, too..........

This is about the third group I shot with my new Black Hole barrel. Load was conservative and I wanted a baseline for accuracy for the 123 as I will be shooting this one at 1000.

264LBC123NOSLER8-18-13_zps2e1f4faf.jpg

I had an extra few cases and loaded up some 85 grainers that I thought would do for PD's and predators if I ever get a chance to go play. After these six shots I ALMOST went home. No pressure signs and it will go quite a bit faster once I get my data straight.

264LBC85SIERRA8-18-13_zpsfa0d511e.jpg

The 85's were my sight in/break in groups and were in the first 10 shots through this tube. All at 100 yards.

Greg

I built a Grendel over a year ago... still havent been able to shoot it.

Every time I think I have decided on an optic, I change my mind. Aaaarg!

GL Shooter, those are some nice groups!

Originally Posted By: BaxI built a Grendel over a year ago... still havent been able to shoot it.

Every time I think I have decided on an optic, I change my mind. Aaaarg!

GL Shooter, those are some nice groups!

I have a couple that I rotate as new barresl/uppers come in and I need to test. Then I get a glass to finish the job.

Greg

Last edited:
I used my SD Grendel last year to take a doe at 450+. I was shooting 123 grain Amax with CFE223 at about 2600 from a 20" barrel. I lazer ranged the cedar tree she was standing infront of at 468. I used the mildots for hold over using range estimation info from My Nikon Spot-on app. She went about 80 yards.

I have a complete AR sitting in the safe that is going to be a 6.5 Grendel. I have been looking for a barrel for a couple months with no luck. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

Originally Posted By: hoytwtI have a complete AR sitting in the safe that is going to be a 6.5 Grendel. I have been looking for a barrel for a couple months with no luck. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

As you can see above you might want to consider a Black Hole barrel. I talked with the owner yesterday and he says they are back up and running after the move and producing barrels in twelve weeks or less at this time. Profile and gas system choices are quite large.

Greg

Last edited:
Ive shot my grendel(target shooting) out to 1155yds with a confirmed hit using 123gr amax bullets with a 22" barrel.

I make a lot of grendels, by far the most popular caliber i make.

My preferred load is 28.5gr of IMR 8208 under 123gr SMKs. They run right at 2600fps from a 20" upper Scott at SD built me. I have also run 123gr Amax's and Scenars. All shoot very well and very comparable, but I felt the SMK's did hold a slight edge. I have recently started load development for the 123gr SST's. Turns out the gun wasn't fond of the 8208 and am in need of some CFE to try out. The factory ammo shot just OK as well. This round always amazes me from what it accomplishes out of the AR platform.

There are 5 shots in the lower left corner at 650 yds.....only pic I got at this time beyond 500yds.

When she was new. By far, one of my favorite rounds.

Thats some nice shooting guys

I have the 18 inch black hole barrel

Im in the process of building a house so my reloading press aint set up yet hopefully soon [beeep].

Back