Sighting in with thermal?

Flyrod1

What method do most folks use to sight in their thermal scopes?
I used a coarse target to sight in at 50 yds, and then folded up one of those small handwarmer packets stapled to a piece of white styrofoam for finer tuning. It looks like the reticle might be too coarse to do that at 100 yds. and greater, so what's your preferred method for 100 and greater?
F1

I will sight in on a steel target IPSC or Life size pig that I will evenly heat with a torch if I get the steel 120+ it makes for a every even and sharp contrast, and holds the heat for a long time.

I used a hand warmer and hot water in empty coke cans this weekend. I was blasting cans at 75 to 100 yards zero misses (suppressed subsonic ammo).The cool thing is I had sighted in my thermal scope on my suppressed 22 rimfire to start with so I could do some test firing 100-200 rounds getting use to the new thermal scope. I moved it to my bigger cal rifle this weekend both rifles hit the same POI at 70 yards no adjustments needed! I never get that lucky sighting in so with the QR mount on the thermal I can move the scope back and forth depending if I need a rimfire or big bore rifle now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Phantom223I used a hand warmer and hot water in empty coke cans this weekend. I was blasting cans at 75 to 100 yards zero misses (suppressed subsonic ammo).The cool thing is I had sighted in my thermal scope on my suppressed 22 rimfire to start with so I could do some test firing 100-200 rounds getting use to the new thermal scope. I moved it to my bigger cal rifle this weekend both rifles hit the same POI at 70 yards no adjustments needed! I never get that lucky sighting in so with the QR mount on the thermal I can move the scope back and forth depending if I need a rimfire or big bore rifle now
smile.gif

lucky you are

I use the steel cause during the day I spry paint it black and can see the hits and make adjustment

Back