Larger cals and 'varmint' projectiles

re1991

I'm interested in finding out people's experiences with larger centrefire calibers and varmint projectiles on a variety of game.
By larger, I mean greater than 6mm, with particular interest in .257, 6.5mm, .270, 7mm & .30

I am investigating a possible new 'do it all' rifle in the near future, and I am thinking a lighter caliber, .22-250 and .243 have been suggested as some good options and I tend to agree, but I want to look at all that's available.

Has to be light to moderate recoil as will be used in odd positions, so I'm drawing the line around .270/7mm-08/.308 for me personally, however if someone has shot some coyotes with a frangible 7mm rem mag bullet, I'm happy to hear your experience with that too

Thanks and regards
Rob

I have shot coyotes with two larger calibers 264 win mag and 300 wsm. Both both with lighter weight bullets for the caliber. In the 264 i used 100 grain Nosler and in the 300 wsm i used 125 Nosler. Now as far as recoil is concerned neither of these have light recoil. The 264 is my 300-600 yrd gun and the 300 wsm is my 800 yd gun. But Ive never had the opportunity to take a coyote at that distance, because I have been able to get closer than that. The coyotes that I have shot with these beasts have all been under 200yds. In my situations my two guns are the "once in a blue moon" scenario. But like a good boyscout I want to be prepared when the time arrives. A few years back I had multiple times when I needed the longer range capability but just have not had a chance since to put them to the test. I would suggest staying with the 22-250 with a faster twist so that you can shoot 55 grain bullets and 75 grain bullets to cover a range of distances effectively. The 243 is probably the most versatile because of the bullet selection. I shoot 70 grain for coyotes and 95 grain bullets for deer. I would jump to the heavier bullets but I don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize them.

I had a family member that owned a Kobi cattle outfit, and she had me down during calving season to keep the coyotes and feral dogs off the calves,

My first attempt was with a 300 Win Mag in a 15 pound, 1,000 yard target rifle. I used 178 A-Maxs, which Hornady assured me would open up like a V-Max.

Hahaaha. Nevea happening. The bullet zipped right through like an ice-pick and bounced over the next ranch (they called
frown.gif
).

So she bought me a 264 Sendero-II (the big brother to the VSSF-II).

I shot 95gr V-Maxs at 3,700 fps, and the results were ugly+10.

She passed away, and the spread is gone, but I still have the Sendero. It will lift a woodchuck 10 feet in the air if you hit it low. Also, ugly+10.

I have use my 270 win with 110gr vmax. Speed was around 3400 fps, and boy did they hammer squirrels. Come to consensus to use a smaller caliber to save on powder, but makes good practice using larger caliber.

I run the 125g NTBs in my 300 RUM at 4000fps.. It is devastating on deer and gives you a pretty good splatter factor on anything smaller than that... Very flat shooting to... Jason

For 36 years I've used a Remington 700 VS in .25-06 that I bought when I started varmint hunting.

Using bullets of 85 gr to 90 gr at 3500-3600 fps I have never seen anything more devastating on smaller game. With these light bullets there were no richochets, and the cartridge shot extremely flat. One thing that always got me about this cartridge was it kicked just enough that you couldn't see the hit through the scope. But, you sure could hear it. Made a slap noise on impact.

For medium game bullets of 100 gr to 120 gr did the trick. The rifle was not a hard kicker either. There's a good reason I still have this rifle.

I still chuckle when I hear someone put the .257 caliber down, I know better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smith1559I run the 125g NTBs in my 300 RUM at 4000fps.. It is devastating on deer and gives you a pretty good splatter factor on anything smaller than that... Very flat shooting to... Jason

Wow.. must a freaking laser beam!

Originally Posted By: joedFor 36 years I've used a Remington 700 VS in .25-06 that I bought when I started varmint hunting.

Using bullets of 85 gr to 90 gr at 3500-3600 fps I have never seen anything more devastating on smaller game. With these light bullets there were no richochets, and the cartridge shot extremely flat. One thing that always got me about this cartridge was it kicked just enough that you couldn't see the hit through the scope. But, you sure could hear it. Made a slap noise on impact.

For medium game bullets of 100 gr to 120 gr did the trick. The rifle was not a hard kicker either. There's a good reason I still have this rifle.

I still chuckle when I hear someone put the .257 caliber down, I know better.

I had a 25/06 & really liked it. However, with a 24" barrel I could never get the 90gr bullets much over ~3350 (pressure signs showed up) much less anywhere near 3600
blink.gif
. Still, the 90gr Sierra HPBT worked great on deer sized game just as it does the smaller stuff. I've killed a BUNCH of deer with the 25/06 (90gr-117gr) & it works very good for that at typical ranges.

When I decided to build a dedicated deer hunting rifle I wanted to do it in 25/06 because it did such a great job on deer & was relitivley light kicking. However, once you go to longer ranges... The standard 1-10" twist really kills the quarterbore in selection of LR (long high BC)bullets. Step up .007" in bullet size (the width of two hairs on your head) & the 6.5mm bullet sellection opens new windows. If you think the 25/06 is something you should try the 6.5/06 or 6.5x284 (or even 260). It carries the same charactersitic of the 25/06, (close enough to almost call them the same) but does not have the limits of bullet selection of the .25.

Still the 25/06 is a good one! And would satify 99% of the hunters out there.

Originally Posted By: coleridge
I had a 25/06 & really liked it. However, with a 24" barrel I could never get the 90gr bullets much over ~3350 (pressure signs showed up) much less anywhere near 3600
blink.gif
. Still, the 90gr Sierra HPBT worked great on deer sized game just as it does the smaller stuff. I've killed a BUNCH of deer with the 25/06 (90gr-117gr) & it works very good for that at typical ranges.

To be honest I couldn't reach much above 3400 fps till RL19 and RL17 came on the scene. These 2 powders added more velocity than IMR or Hodgdon powders used to offer.

When I saw 3600 fps come up on the chrony I was astounded.

I'm a big .257 fan. Five years ago when I finally replaced the barrel with a Krieger I remember the gunsmith asking what caliber I wanted and explained I could have a lot of choices. Being honest I gave the 6.5-06 some thought for about 1 second and told him that new barrel would be a .25-06.

I'm a varmint hunter at heart. I shoot light frangible bullets and not match bullets like many are prone to do these days.

If the .257 has a downside it is that the bullets for it are hunting bullets. There are no decent match bullets for this cartridge. But I'm not shooting targets, I'm a hunter.

Originally Posted By: bfr4570I hit a Coyote at 350 yds 338 AX 300 gr SMK at 2700. I hit in the chest facing us. Bang flop ugly.

EUWWW!!!! Just kiddin. I have always said there is no such thing as being over gunned.

Find a nice rifle in 243win and it will take care of all your needs. Remington model 7 is a place to start looking.
CZ's and Savage's are nice too.

Back