Sizing problem!!

caseharvester

While sizing 22-250 brass in my rcbs die that is pretty old but used very little, i almost have to jump on the press handle to run the brass into the die. While watching videos on youtube they barely have to use any muscle at all. Wondering if anyone had any tips or something i could check.

Sounds like you need (a better) case lube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=Unique+case+lube

Unique beats all case lubes I have used including the highly touted Imperial wax.

When I started loading for 243 WSSM, I heard that the WSSM cases were notoriously hard to resize so bought some Imperial wax and the 243 WSSM brass (fired in an AR) squalled like a banshee. Switched back to my old standby (Unique) and no squall.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: caseharvesterRock chucker supreme press with rcbs case lube.

That is good stuff - I use RCBS-II lube and it is easy.

Maybe you have other problems.

How are you lubing the case?

Originally Posted By: caseharvesterLubing the cases by rolling them on the lube pad and using the brush to get inside the neck. I'm pretty sure they are getting enough lube.

If you were going to estimate the amount of force you had to use, they how hard do you have to push down on the handle... 2 pounds, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30???

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: caseharvesterLubing the cases by rolling them on the lube pad and using the brush to get inside the neck. I'm pretty sure they are getting enough lube.

If you were going to estimate the amount of force you had to use, they how hard do you have to push down on the handle... 2 pounds, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30???

I would say probabley 20 to 30 range. Here in a few days i'm going to start loading some 223.

I will be able to see how that compares to these dies, and be able to narrow it down a little.

Originally Posted By: caseharvesterOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: caseharvesterLubing the cases by rolling them on the lube pad and using the brush to get inside the neck. I'm pretty sure they are getting enough lube.

I would say probabley 20 to 30 range. Here in a few days i'm going to start loading some 223.

I will be able to see how that compares to these dies, and be able to narrow it down a little.

The 223 should be about half the force. Let us know what you find.

Originally Posted By: venaticYou said they were old dies and used little. Is it possible they had a light coat of rust on the inside?

Good thought - it would make sense.

Originally Posted By: venaticYou said they were old dies and used little. Is it possible they had a light coat of rust on the inside?

I've never taken a die apart. Is there much to it?

Originally Posted By: caseharvesterOriginally Posted By: venaticYou said they were old dies and used little. Is it possible they had a light coat of rust on the inside?

Look at a sized case - it should be glass smooth - if it is scratched or shows signs of looking different - then most likely, the dies is rusted.

Send it back to RCBS, and tell them it is hard to use and can they fix it - they will replace it.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: caseharvesterOriginally Posted By: venaticYou said they were old dies and used little. Is it possible they had a light coat of rust on the inside?

Look at a sized case - it should be glass smooth - if it is scratched or shows signs of looking different - then most likely, the dies is rusted.

Send it back to RCBS, and tell them it is hard to use and can they fix it - they will replace it.

After looking at the cases i do see there are some scratches. After doing a couple more it's also pretty hard pull to get them back out through the bushing(i think thats what it's called).

Originally Posted By: caseharvesterOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: caseharvesterOriginally Posted By: venaticYou said they were old dies and used little. Is it possible they had a light coat of rust on the inside?

What about the lee dies will they do the same and replace those I some times have that problem to

After looking at the cases i do see there are some scratches. After doing a couple more it's also pretty hard pull to get them back out through the bushing(i think thats what it's called). Originally Posted By: caseharvesterOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: caseharvesterOriginally Posted By: venaticYou said they were old dies and used little. Is it possible they had a light coat of rust on the inside?

After looking at the cases i do see there are some scratches. After doing a couple more it's also pretty hard pull to get them back out through the bushing(i think thats what it's called).

I got a set of RCBS brand new dies in .17 Remington just about a week ago and it sounds just like the problem you are having. Although I wouldn't say I have to jump on the arm. It really gets rough about 3/4 of the way up and the down stroke is just as bad in one spot. I took the die apart to see if there were any bad spots in it and nothing. I have other RCBS dies and these are by far the roughest. No scratches or scuffs on the brass. RCBS II case lube on an RCBS case prep pad.

Originally Posted By: AubreyD.I got a set of RCBS brand new dies in .17 Remington just about a week ago and it sounds just like the problem you are having. Although I wouldn't say I have to jump on the arm. It really gets rough about 3/4 of the way up and the down stroke is just as bad in one spot. I took the die apart to see if there were any bad spots in it and nothing. I have other RCBS dies and these are by far the roughest. No scratches or scuffs on the brass. RCBS II case lube on an RCBS case prep pad.

Ya. Sounds about like my problem. Might just be the norm. It is real tough on the up stroke when the expander ball is sizing the neck.

Got a hold of rcbs today and they are gonna take a look at mine and polish it up. I just have to pay shipping.

Originally Posted By: caseharvester

It is real tough on the up stroke when the expander ball is sizing the neck.

The expander ball doesn't size the neck on the up-stroke... it expands the neck on the down stroke.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: caseharvester

It is real tough on the up stroke when the expander ball is sizing the neck.

The expander ball doesn't size the neck on the up-stroke... it expands the neck on the down stroke.

I probably said that wrong. When the handle is going up and the brass is coming out of the die.

Back