Accurate Arms powder

old_sparky

Anyone using 2230 in a 223? Does it seem temp sensitive? I have some old load data I may go find to look at. As I am looking for powder. I was thinking about in the 70,s when I used Israeli arms 223 now AA2230. I don't know why I ever left that powder. I know it was great in a 223 rifle I had and a 7mmTCU in a contender. I know I couldn't afford multiple powders. Price is why I had the AA powder man it was cheap less than half the price of IMR maybe even a third. I wish I knew what I paid for it.

I use AA 2460 in .223 and 22.250 reloading and its been great from -20 to 105 degree's with the same loads...No problems! If your running max loads though you might have a problem not just with AA powders but with others too. I've never found a max load that was accurate as mid loads in most cases.Other times it was lower end loads.

I use the same powder in 308 WIN as well with 168 grain Nosler Custom Comps and they are FUN at 800 yards shooting 8 inch steel!

I'm starting to think I need to cut my targets in half LOL!

I've got a lot of Varget and H4895 too but just dont like it as well at long distance...love it for varmint hunting though with lighter bullets.

AA Powders are still cheaper than others around here.
Half price? Not that much cheaper, anymore anyhow!
In .223 Remington the AA 2230 has worked good for me but I also use AA 2460 and plan to purchase 8 Lbs next time I can find it locally.
The AA 2460 is very close to the same as AA 2230 but with a better load density according to the packaging (25g of AA 2460 will fill a case more full than AA 2230).
As far as temperature sensitivity I can not give a tried and true answer, but will say the most accurate rounds I have ever loaded were using AA 2460...I think the planets all have to be aligned just right to match that load though, not so much temperature
huh.gif

AA 2460 has also worked ok in my .308 Win. using 150g FMJ.
For a cheaper (bargain) powder the AA 2230 or AA 2460 should still work good for you.
I think both are similar to H335 or Win.748 (edit-not 760)
For a little more $ and a `claim` to being not temp., sensitive I like Benchmark. Benchmark is definitely cleaner IME.

Last edited:
I have had very good luck with 24grains of Xterminator and 65 gr Sierra Game Kings. I use this in my Handy Rifle for every thing. Load this for the son in law's mini 14 and am about to try it in my bushmaster. All have 1 in 9 twists. If this is the same as 2230 than I wish I had discovered it earlier . I am about to try some TAC as well. To be fair I have used a lot of H335 for years and it is great stuff as well.

Ps:I have not noticed temperature sensitivity and I have shot this load in my Handy a lot down in the Houston TX area the last 2 years in the summer .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old_sparkyAnyone using 2230 in a 223? Does it seem temp sensitive?
I use a lot of it in all my 223's with 40 BT's.

I don't notice a temp problem, as I do all my load work in the heat for my PD stuff, and use other things in the cold.

In my 22-204 I put together a bunch of 40gr loads over 2230 for pelt hunting in the winter and they worked great, took the same loads to a egg shot in 90+ degree weather in Aug. and the primers fell out of the cases and I ended up pulling the bullets and dropping a grain of powder in each, couldn't tell the difference except no loose primer pockets in the summer. I won the match with the really hot loads.

If I find a can I will local I may try it. I would like to stay with n133 but hate to soot up what I have. I loaded up some varget, it shot good but I have to trickle. Thats probably what I will have to do since I found some varget if I got it ordered correctly?

Back