Fox hunting in Pennsylvania

Where are you at in pa? I have only been calling daylight so far this season and targeting for coyotes. Ive always been told you can call reds all day long if there is snow on the ground. Good hunting and let us know how you make out.

I live in Lackawanna County just north of Scranton. Mostly greys in my area, they respond very well. I only hunt at night however. Never called in a fox during daylight hours.

I am in Gettysburg too. There are a LOT of local fox callers, and it's getting tough in a lot of my places, foxes are getting educated, etc. I have called in countless foxes in daylight hours while archery hunting with simple lip squeeks. If they're hungry and hunting, they'll respond...day or night. It's worth a shot. I don't think it'll educate them any differently than night hunting, might actually make it easier.

Originally Posted By: SuperOutdoorsman1Ok i think im going to try in the daylight hours. For hunting fox in the east what do you think is the most effective call?

1. Woodpecker distress
2. Cottontail distress
3. Grey fox pup distress

Originally Posted By: SuperOutdoorsman1Ok i think im going to try in the daylight hours. For hunting fox in the east what do you think is the most effective call?

Those are all good sounds that bownut gave you. Something else to think about is the level of sound. When calling for Red Fox(more open terrain) use a much lower volume, yet Higher pitched sounds. You will be surprised how far you will see a Red come into a soft/low volume sound. First thing thought will be how did he hear that way out there, but they come in on a string, straight to the sound. For the most part Reds are volume shy.

Now Grays on the other hand. Playing that Gray Fox Distress of any make at a loud volume will work them into a frenzy and provide for multiple shots if missed, they won't leave sometimes. Cover is usually thicker in Gray Fox terrain which muffles sound anyway. Good luck, enjoy.

The devil is in the details, but all these suggestions are contradicted on occassion in the wild.

Great points! Another benefit when playing Gray in distress in wooded areas is that it will bring out coyotes.

Originally Posted By: PrusonOriginally Posted By: SuperOutdoorsman1Ok i think im going to try in the daylight hours. For hunting fox in the east what do you think is the most effective call?

Those are all good sounds that bownut gave you. Something else to think about is the level of sound. When calling for Red Fox(more open terrain) use a much lower volume, yet Higher pitched sounds. You will be surprised how far you will see a Red come into a soft/low volume sound. First thing thought will be how did he hear that way out there, but they come in on a string, straight to the sound. For the most part Reds are volume shy.

Now Grays on the other hand. Playing that Gray Fox Distress of any make at a loud volume will work them into a frenzy and provide for multiple shots if missed, they won't leave sometimes. Cover is usually thicker in Gray Fox terrain which muffles sound anyway. Good luck, enjoy.

The devil is in the details, but all these suggestions are contradicted on occassion in the wild.

In areas where they are not called much they will come into almost anything. Lighting Jack is my favorite, but I have lip squeeked them in.

Gabe

I've called in a fair number of fox during the day. I really enjoy calling during the day. Obviously the best results are early in the morning and the last hour or so before dark. You usually have to make a few more stands to get some action but is certainly worth hunting. Sometimes the first stand has a fox in your lap, you never know. The sounds bownut gave you will pretty much cover that end of it.

Reds and greys will respond during daylight hours however, I do better especially for greys at the hours of darkness. Pruson gave some solid advice. Like alot of states Pennsylvania has different density ratios. In example, the Gettysburg posters above primarily hunt more reds than greys. Where as beagler will typically shoot more greys than reds on average. Pruson touched on techniques for calling. Basically, greys differ from reds and he made some great points to remember about their personalities. When I want maximum results I call and try to modify my techniques to the intended target etc. Anyways thats what seems to work for me. Before you know it we will be back after them here in PA. Good luck to you all!

Chet,
I take it back you did have a few reds in your area lol. Have a good season. Just having some fun with ya. Hope your season is safe and successful.

one good thing about calling in the daytime is it will make you a better night hunter. during the day you can see more meaning you will see the foxes or coyotes that you may miss at night. the day time you can see how they move and where on a 360 where at night you really can only see where the lite is. so in short day calling makes you a better light man.

Originally Posted By: Bucket listi wonder if it is legal to call them with turkey sounds in PA?
i have seen them belly crawling after turkey a few times
Why would you not be able to? You're not actually hunting turkey.

I know this is an old post but o well. Im in the gettysburg area and have had great luck in the area. I just got my FOXPRO a few weeks ago and have already called in some nice reds. I was able to make a kill the first night out. It was during a snow that we got about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I am addicted to it now. The fusion works great.

Back