.204 and 20 BR

Q-Wagoner

Will the 204 push the 39/40 grain bullets to 3900 out of a 26-inch barrel safely? What does a 20 BR do with the 40gr bullets? DAA You have a 20 BR don't you? If so is the neck sizing a one step process and do you need to turn the cases? Also how is the accuracy while fire forming and grouping in general. Sorry for all the questions. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

I can't speak to the .204, but yes I do have a .20BR. Mine has a 26", 12 twist barrel, and I can push the 40 gr. bullets about 4100 - 4150 fps. My 12 twist doesn't shoot the 40 Vmax all that well, shoots the lighter 32's MUCH better (at 4450 fps). It SHOULD do fine with the Berger 40's, and now the Sierra 39's (which are slightly shorter than the Vmax). But I have not had a chance to try either of them yet.

I necked mine down in 2 steps. Using a Redding Type S .22BR die, just changing bushings.

The reamer that was used for my chamber was setup specifically to avoid neck turning when using Lapua brass. It's a .237 chamber neck. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I'm wanting to say that my loaded round necks, without turning, are .234 - .235. Regardless, I did not neck turn them. Did have to trim them a good bit though. But that was the total extent of the brass prep. I did no primer pocket or flash hole work on the Lapua cases. Just necked 'em down, trimmed 'em and shot 'em.

As with any other wildcat or improved cartridge, fireforming accuracy really just depends on the quality of the chambering job and the concentricity of the fireforming ammo. Both were pretty decent for my .20BR, so my fireforming groups were as good as my final groups.

Truth be told, I barely did any load work at all with this cartridge. Spent a total of about 2 or 3 hours, and shot maybe 40 rounds, and had a load grouping right around 1/2" using the 32 Vmax at almost 4500 fps. Called it good, loaded up all my brass and went prairie dog shooting. Never have circled back to do any more load work.

I'm planning on a .20-250 for next year.

- DAA

Q, after reading that post, a picture of you standing in front of 2,500 skinned, stretched out Prarire Dog hides flashed in my mind. Can't imagine why. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif kyray

I think it will. Chrono'd 3 rounds the other day at 3819,3824,3831 w/ 40 grains. This coming out of my Savage 12 VBSS LP w/ a 26 inch barrel. Barrel didn't even get warm...hardly.

Thanks guys. I am shooting 55 BTs out of my swift at 3840 right now so that would be ok for the .20 with the 40gr bullets. Coyotes are what I would use it for but it needs to get through the front shoulder to be of any use to me. I know Bob Addy has had poor luck with his but I think he was shooting the 32s? Bob you out there? LOL

I think if Nosler would come out with a 40gr BT with their solid base I would own one.

DAA, are you going to set up your 20-250 for light or heavy bullets? That should be an interesting project. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Q, all I ever shot was 40's. I never made it to reloading the thing. My Swift loads are just as fur friendly as the 204 and I tend to drop critters in their tracks with the Swift. I'm not too worried about blowing up a yote anyway. But even on cats some of my best have been taken with Purp and itty bitty holes. I'm running my 55gr V-Maxes at 3850.

I'm going to set it up for medium weight bullets, 35 - 40 gr.

I think your only hope for busting through a shoulder (reliably), with readily available commercial bullets, will be the Berger's. And I'm not too sure about them. I'd give the Berger 40's at 3850 a pretty good chance though. I know you won't be able to do it with the Vmax, and doubt it with the Blitzking.

Don't know exactly what you have in mind, but if doing a custom barrel, and don't require a repeater, you might even think about a 9 twist .20BR for the Berger 50's. Should be able to get 3800, or even better, out of the BR case. BC is .296 I think. Awesome sectional density. I'd bet that would get through shoulders reliably.

- DAA

Don't require a repeater? Are there feeding problems with the BR case? I like the sound of the 50gr bullets at 3800 but the fur damage with the heavier bullet at that speed may be about the same as my swift? The swift is a killer with the 55gr BTs. I had the best mortality rate on coyotes this year with only one loss. I had to get my terriers on a few to find them but still that kind of killing power speaks for i's self.

Sewing is the trade off for the swift advantage. I guess I can't complain but it would sure be nice to find something that will get through the front shoulder reliably and be a little easier on fur.

Bryansewjob2.jpg

This is a nasty neck shot. Neck shots are the worst but this one was exceptionally bad. Bryan my good friend holding the coyote is a master with needle and dental floss. LOL patched that fellow back together for me. Almost any bullet damage is fixable it is just that time is better spent fleshing and stretching. LOL

Thanks for all the input!

Good hunting.

Q,

Q, my calling partner had alot of problems this year when he switched to 55gr sierra game kings in his 22-250. He can't stay off the shoulder, and that resulted in a number of splashes and lost dogs. After talking to sierra, and me doing some searching in here, it was decided that he'd give the 52-53 sierra match kings a try. They're built quite a bit heavier than a GK or a BT. We never did get a chance to field test the bullets though as the season ended.

You could also try the barnes (if you can get them to shoot) because we know they'll get through the shoulder. But, I don't know how a x bullet would react in soft tissue or the occasional fringe shot. You might end up with alot more short distance runners going that route.

Either way, if you find that magic pill that will hold up to the shoulder yet give the solid bang-flops on soft tissue, be sure to post up in here. Because I got really tired of burning good calling time chasing down 3-legged dogs last season. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q, yes, definitely feeding problems with the BR case. The short, straight little buggers don't like to feed from 700 magazines very well at all. I've seen a few that have been made to feed "okay", but most attempts to make them feed that I've seen, have not worked well. Going to a single stack HS magazine is one way to reliably get them to feed (expensive). The other way I've seen, with less consistent results, involves shortening a .308 follower and blocking up the magazine box. I've got 4 barrels chambered for various flavors based on the BR case, and use them all as single shots.

I really have no idea how fur friendly that 50 Berger would be, at that velocity. Probably not any better than your Swift, if I had to guess though.

- DAA

Back