Night time Fox to the Call

AllPredatorCalls

Thought we would share this short video out take from APC's recent hunt with the Predator Pursuit TV show using the W401 Wicked Lights. We had so much action on both day, and night time foxes that it will be two full episodes airing in January on Predator Pursuit (Sportsman Channel). For those interested in hunting grey fox during both day and nighttime, you will see some phenomenal footage and interesting interactions filmed with five HD cameras on each stand.

NcWhitetail,

The sound is one of our still camera guys shooting on continuous shooting mode (or burst mode), clicking off 4 or 5 pictures every time the camera man pushes the button.

The foxes were in so close, they would leave the decoy and come closer to investigate the sound of the camera.

There were 5 guys and 5 ATVs parked less then 10 yards from the decoy, ecaller, and fox... The light is your camouflage

AP

Originally Posted By: BoondockOutdoorsAP, That is awesome!! Love them grey fox, my favorite predator.

Jeremiah

I agree. They are an exciting little critter to call in. I call them "suicide greys" because they will run right up to a decoy or in your lap if you're not careful. Great video clip A.P.

This is all on public ground that is heavily called. When we started calling this area a few years back we where primarily targeting coyotes with prey distress sounds and never called a single grey fox in during dozens of stands.. As we evolved our calling technique and started targeting of grey's it became readily apparent proper sound, decoy, and stand selection determines your success, and how close the animal comes in. Proper sound selection absolutely being the biggest driver for success assuming you are in fox habitat. It makes zero difference day or night, if you use the correct sounds, know when to mute the ecaller, let the decoy do its job, are being patient you will have foxes within a yard of two of the decoy virtually every time one comes to the call day or night.

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsIt makes zero difference day or night, if you use the correct sounds, know when to mute the ecaller, let the decoy do its job,

What sound have you found best for those Grays??

JimmyG75,

It’s been my experience that particular sound types are much more effective then others.

Although there are many jackrabbits, deer, and birds in the areas where we hunt grey fox, distress calls such as fawn deer or jackrabbit have had marginal to mediocre success when calling in grays’. Actually, where I normally hunt, I haven’t even seen a cottontail rabbit, but that’s the call we start all our fox stands with.

When we call gray fox our technique is to target 3 “instincts” in order. Using 3 very specific types of calls
1. Hunger
2. Curiosity / Territorial
3. Paternal / Curiosity
Our technique involves a progression of sounds that pull on the animals Hunger, Curiosity, Territorial, and Paternal instincts. Some animals come running simply by playing one sound – a cottontail rabbit distress. Others will require the full “treatment”. Our goal is through audio to paint a picture that is so vivid and enticing any fox within earshot will respond.

We always use a high quality cottontail distress sound to start the stand. Since we prefer using an e-caller when targeting fox here are some of our recommended cottontail sounds:
1. L-57 Eastern Cottontail (FOXPRO)
2. Cottontail Adult Distress (Wildlife technologies)
3. L-58 Cagie Cottontail (FOXPRO)
4. 354 DSG Cottontail (FOXPRO)
5. L55 Adult Cottontail (FOXPRO)

I would recommend starting the stand with any of the above cottontail distress sounds at medium to loud volume. Run the sound continuously for 6 – 7 minutes. Sometimes we change from one cottontail to another at the 4 – 5 minute mark.

A few words about decoy use when hunting foxes.

With foxes decoy movement is the key to success when calling with several people on stand. Or if your goal is calling animals in very, very close, it focuses the animal’s attention. It reassures the animal that there is something small and furry that it can eat or dominate at the source of the sound.

We typically use a Mojo critter or a FOXJACK 1/2 attached to the caller. The decoy should run continuously during the entire stand.

Most of the time during the day its been our experience that grey foxes will not come to the call during the time the cottontail distress is playing. There is no doubt that they hear the distress cries but for what ever reason they are reluctant to respond. So our technique is to push them over the edge… If they do respond, mute the caller and let the decoy do its job and bring the animal all the way in.

After 7 minutes of playing the cottontail rabbit distress, we change to a good quality gray fox distress. At this point it normally gets exciting!

We always use a high quality gray fox distress after the cottontail distress. Here are some of our recommended fox distress sounds
1. C85 Platinum Gray Fox Distress (FOXPRO)
2. C86 Steeltown Gray Fox Distress (FOXPRO)
3. 226 Screaming Gray Fox Distress (FOXPRO)
4. Gray Fox Adult Female Distress (Wildlife Technologies)
5. Gray Fox Adult Male Distress (Wildlife Technologies)
6. Gray Fox Fighting (Wildlife Technologies)

Our technique is to cycle through at least 3 different gray fox distresses changing sounds about every 2 minutes. Normally at some point during the gray fox distress cycle you will catch the movement of a gray coming to the stand.

Techniques at this point will vary depending on the situation. If the animal is coming in strong we typically mute the caller and let the decoy movement do its job and bring the animal all the way in. However if the animal hangs up, starts barking or fails to close the distance to shotgun range – use the “secret weapon”.

“The Secret Weapon”

Canine puppies in distress is absolutely deadly on gray foxes. Anytime I have a fox hang up out side of shooting range or start barking at us, I immediately switch to canine puppies in distress. 99 percent of the time the animal will come in to the decoy/caller

Here are some of our recommended canine puppies in distress sounds
C00 Canine Pups 1 (FOXPRO)
C01 Canine Pups 2 (FOXPRO)
600 Canine Pups (FOXPRO)
620 BS Canine Pups (FOXPRO)

As you can see there is nothing earth shaking about our method for calling gray fox. But I’m a believer that our progression from rabbit distress (hunger) to fox distress (curiosity / territorial), and on to canine pup distress (paternal / curiosity) triggers an investigatory response from these very curious predators in which you can take advantage of, and if you do your part, will translate into more fur in the fur shed

I inserted an extended version of the short clip I posted above in this thread.
Note the following:
- Fox #1 came all the way to the decoy with no sound playing. We muted the caller when he was about 100 yards out. After he was at the decoy we gave him some rabbit distress and lip sqeaks to keep him there for pictures.
- Fox #2 played rabbit distress for 7 minutes then came in after we switch to Fox distress all the way to the decoy
- FOX #3 same as fox # 2 but came in down wind to within 15 yards of our 5 ATVS
- Fox #4 Hung up daytime fox. See the effect that canine puppies has on a hung up fox

Hope that helps,

AP

Thanks for posting this APC. Every year I go to Texas and have a fair amount of success calling in greys, but this should definitely help me up my percentages. I especially like calling them in during the day. They are pretty aggressive and it's cool to see them come bounding in, like so:

He went on to bite the Wildfire, knocking it out of the mesquite tree.

Best sound I have ever used for greys was the original Johnny Stewart Grey Fox Pup Distress. On my Foxpro I've had great success with the Screamin-Grey and the Steeltown Grey.

Thanks. Yours are awesome too. One other thing----you've had success calling them in once they've started barking by going to the canine pups sound? I was thinking it was all over once they started barking.

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsYep, a barking gray fox doesn't mean the stand is over. Just give him some canine puppies in distress at medium volume.

Good hunting,

AP
I have used scream-n-grey as well when they were barking at me with good success.

Back