Pawnshop score! Savage 340 Triple Deuce

Todd M.

I have been wanting an old 222 for a while now, and all of you guys posting about your sweet shooting Savages made it even worse. Long story short, I found one in a pawn shop this afternoon. The stock is about 85%, with the average small dings, but the checkering is as new. The blue is about 80% with no dings. The barrel looks new (to my eyes with a bore lite anyway) and everything functions tight and solid. The best part of the story is the asking price of $229. I reload, but do not have dies and brass for the 222 yet. Please share your favorite recipes? Thanks, Todd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Todd

I'm loving mine...Checering you say???...is it an "E" model...or did someone checker it for you...Mine was checkered by the former owner, and he did a great job...He also put a real dark stain on the ash stock, and it suites me...and I shoot it...it has a fixed 6 old Weaver on it, but I am looking for an old steel tubed variable....I also put a trigger shoe on mine, to get a lighter feel to the trigger...

Have a ball with your new toy.

Scott

i passed my savage 222 on to my son. as he does not hunt
or reload, it was sort of a wasted effort. moral of the
story is that i have a nice set of reloading dies that i
would be willing to pass on, so to speak. if your interested let me know. thanks

dudechance

postscript: my 340 savage was bought new in 1962 by my
dad. last year when i passed in onto my nohuntinnoshootin
kid...the triple duece almost out shot my varminter 223.
the 222 is simply an awsome shooting rifle.

Hello TODD M
If you decide for what ever reason not to buy the 340 .222 id like to have it. Or buy it and ill give you $20 more than what you pay for it for your trouble. Will the PAWN Shop ship to another FFL? Thanks

Todd, I shoot a BLR in .222. It likes a Hornady 50 grain bullet, with 19 grains of IMR 4198.

I love leverguns!

Thanks for the replies guys. It is a E model with dark finish and I bought it. I am interested in the dies. I picked up a Weaver mount and rings and hung my 2-7 Leopold on it and can't wait to shoot her. Let me know what you want for the dies Dudechance. Todd

HogBuster1
There are several .222 in the savage family on the auction websites.

If your interested take a look...most of the prices are reasonable.

I have the same model with a weaverK10 on top of it, love how it shoots. I use Hornady Vmax 50gr factory loads without no problems.

ocngrats on the 340. they are a nice old gun. i have one in 225, 222, and 22 hornet. love em all, and would not part with any of em. looking into a 30-30 version now also.

man I saw one (340 in 222) last week in the pawn shop. price was 250.00 I hadnt heard much about them so I passed up on it. Maybe I will get it now

Rem 222

I agree that side mount is goofy...I havn't ever checked...could the receiver be drilled and tapped for a standard scope set up, with rings and bases...Hey what about grooved like a rimfire?

The other flaw with the gun is the barrel band on the front anchor screw....if I take my "E" model 30-30 apart, I play hell trying to get the tension right again for it to be consistantly accurate...I have heard of some having a nut soldered on the bottom of the barrel to lock it down better, but tht might cost more than the rifle is worth...besides with a little care...my 3 shoot well...Plenty accurate for hunting.

I have the Springfield (Savage) model 840 in 30-30. It was my first rifle. My dad bought it for me at a pawn shop for $75 for my 8th grade graduation. I killed my first deer with it and several more. I don't take it out much, now that I have better deer calibers.

The 840 is identical to the 340. There is also a Revelation model that is also identical. All have the side mount scopes and the barrel band. The worst part about mine is the trigger, as it is very hard.

I have a seen a couple of 340's in the pawn shops here. A couple were 30-30 and one was 222. They are asking around $275 for them best I remember.

I passed on the 222 because I don't care for the side mount scope either, but really don't like the triggers. I have not really heard what kind of accuracy you can expect from them in 222.

I have a trigger shoe on my Triple Duece, but my gunsmith has assured me that the trigger can be worked, and end up with a crisp 3 LB pull...mine is 4 1/4 and with the trigger shoe it feels like 3...I have a very accurate .308 heavey barrel, and it is more accurate than the Savege 340 .222, but its hard to make use of that kind of accuracy in the field...My .222 is more than plenty accurate for hunting.

rimfirematt

If your looking for a .222, you won't find one for less than that, and they make a great hunting rig.

I purchased a 340 in a pawn shop for about the going price it seems. 300.00 dollars. The rifle had an excellant bore and the furniture was in nice shape. The rifle came with an old out dated scope as well. I own a Sako vixen in 222 that is almost to pretty to shoot. This new rifle would be a good calling rifle I could camo-tape and crawl thru the brush with. Such was my Idea. The problem was the rifle would never settle down and shoot a decent group. I tried all sorts of hand loads and tricks. The triple duece is a 1/4 " caliber all day long. Not with this gun. The inherant problem is the forward barrel band on this model. My gun smith saw the rifle and smiled when I showed it to him. He'd been there many times before. He told me he would do what he could. I had the smith stone the trigger and bed the action. After all that I was lucky to keep 5 in a golf ball at 100 yards. Theres a reason you see allot of these In pawn shops. In a nut shell! You get what you pay for.

Back