Tell me about the Remington Model 740 Woodsmaster

Originally Posted By: Bear Is the 740 a pump?

Nope... that would be the 760, 740 is semi-auto.

And, Wikipedia tells us...

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia

Remington Model 740

Type
Rifle

Place of origin
United States

Production history

Designer
Remington R&D [1]

Manufacturer
Remington Arms

Produced
1955–1960 [1]

Number built
251,398 [1]

Specifications

Weight
7.5 lb (3.4 kg)[2]

Length
42.5 in (108 cm)[2]

Barrel length
22 in (56 cm)[2]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartridge
.244 Remington
.280 Remington
.308 Winchester
.30-06 Springfield[1]

Action
Semi-automatic

Feed system
4-round magazine[1]

Sights
White metal bead ramp front
Step-adjustable semi-buckhorn rear[2]

The Remington Model 740 was a semi-automatic rifle manufactured by Remington Arms between 1955 and 1960.[1] The rifle had a 22-inch barrel and a four-round magazine.[1] The original calibers were 30-06 and .308, but calibers .244 and .280 were made available subsequently. The blued metal barreled action was mounted in a walnut stock. This model was succeeded by the Remington Model 742 in 1960 and the Remington Model 7400 in 1980

Have never owned a 740, can't say that I've ever seen but one or two 740s. I do own an early 70s vintage 742 Carbine in 30-06. And, it's as reliable and rugged as the day is long.

Back in my teens, which was about 40 years ago, we bear hunted the swamps of North Florida, and one of the guys owned 2 late 60s early 70s vintage 742s. These guns were drug through the swamps, crawling most of the time, as they're to thick to walk in most places. They were rattled around under truck seats, so more dirt. And, the entire family was a tad on the lazy side, so they never really got cleaned. Maybe a blast with the air hose, or the water hose, and a shot of WD 40. More often than not, pull the magazine, hold the bolt open and blow in it real good a time or two, after shaking the bigger chunks out of course. And, in 5 - 6 years that we bear hunted together, I know of only 1 fail to feed/fail to fire on either of those weapons.

At the same time, we had another gentleman that spent more on a Browning Semi-Auto in 30-06, than the first guy had paid for both 742s. Cleaned it after every trip to the woods, carried it to and from the woods in a zipped up soft case behind the seat of the pickup. And, it would jam about every third trip, if not every other trip, and for a short while there EVERY TRIP into the swamp.

And, that is exactly why I own a Remington 742, and not a Browning semi-auto!

I've heard rumors to the effect that they were having a lot problems with them, which I didn't buy at the time, still don't, and that they weren't worth anything, which I didn't buy at the time, still don't. But, that was out of a gunshop owner that thought he was going to buy mine for $100, until I politely told him, "No... Ain't happenin' dude. This one works flawlessly and I'm not giving it away." It still works flawlessly 7 - 8 years later. Someone forgot to tell mine to break down, and honestly I'm glad he pissed me off, and I refused to sell it.

To the best of my knowledge, the 740 and the 742 were the same action, basically just cosmetic changes. I want to say there were some changes on the 7400 which followed the 742, that they had some issues with, (weak magazine springs or something as best I recall), and it was followed up by the 7500. Which was again, basically a redesigned stock configuration.

All in all, the action has remained relatively the same from the 740 of the 1950s to the current model 7500s. Which I have one of those that's 5 - 6 years old now, (in .243) and it hasn't impressed me nearly as much as my 742.

If you found a 740 that appears to be in reasonable shape, for a fair price, I wouldn't hesitate a minute to buy it. Might ask to take it out and run a few rounds through it if possible, but if it works, they really are a sweet shootin old gun, and quite reliable.

*** For the record, I did have problems with mine hanging up when I first bought it, (used mid-90s), but that had nothing to do with the action. There were issues we've never been able to explain in the neck area of the chamber; found another case like it here on the forum not long ago. Still isn't explained, but one more surfaced here shortly thereafter. Had mine fixed, and it has never given me any grief since. The other case reportedly resurfaced after several hundred rounds, which I probably haven't put that many through mine yet.

The action itself was strong enough to rip the extractors through the base of the casing when it hung up. Slam it closed again, and get it to lock on the case again, and it would pull it out. Every time!

My experience and that of several friends is the opposite of Rocky's. For the one or two box a year hunter that keeps the rifle clean (especially the chamber and neck area) very lightly lubed and takes the time to sort through enough magazines to find a couple that work reliably the rifle is – ok. Triggers are what they are and the accuracy was about 2"+/- @ 100 yards.

If you intend to shoot it a lot there is a well documented problem of the bolt rails battering inside the receiver which eventually causes the rifle to malfunction at a high percentage rate. This is essentially a non-repairable event simply because of the high cost of the work involved. This was common enough that there was a big gunshop that at one time did a landslide business converting the Remington semi auto to a pump action Remington rifle. When we hit the “throw away” era this conversion wasn’t cost effective any more and probably isn’t done much in today’s world. That is why many gun shops refused to take a well used one on trade because they were afraid of the very real probability of an immediate return and refund request. I’ve seen them marked “As Is…” on the used gun rack and it was buyer beware because there would be no warranty from the shop on that rifle.

I have seen and shot a few Remington 742’s but only remember one 740 back when I lived and hunted in Mississipi. The 742 was standard issue and rode in most truck gun racks back in the 70’s and 80’s. Some would shoot but they are not known for good accuracy so I never owned one personally.
As GC mentioned they were fairly reliable if you kept the chamber half way clean.

Lots of 742 & 7400s here in Michigan, proly some 740's aswell. Commonly called "jam-o-matics".

GC hit on what I've seen and been around.

Please place me on the growing list of highly dissatisfied former 740 owners who would feel better equipped with a broom and a fly swatter in the field.

Mine was bought new in 6MM Rem which is a favorite cartridge of mine. It was ho-hum to look at, at best, and not worth owning if you try to do much shooting with one.

They make a great firearm to hang a hat on top of it in the corner behind the door than never gets closed, maybe.

Think I've heard enough. Unfortunately it's not possible to test drive this one before buying so I'm going to pass.

Thank you gents.

The Remington 740 and 7400 series of semi-auto hunting rifles are some of the biggest pieces of garbage ever foisted upon the American hunter.

I have owned a 740 and a 7400. They are probably fine for the hunter that buys one box of ammunition every 10 years. But if practicing and maintaining proficiency with your hunting rifle is something you value they are a poor choice. The 740 bolt was notorious for chewing up the inside of the receiver. Most any used 740 that has been fired a moderate amount will have deep gouges along the bolt guide on the inside top of the receiver. Reliability was always pretty poor. The 7400 was a small improvement but not bu much.

Last edited:
Ahh, were do I start... I've owned my 740 since 1990. My grandfather passed it down to me and I've never seen any issues that stand out. It has never failed to cycle a round, but if you use just the reduced recoil rounds that are out there I could see that causing the bolt not cycle properly. I have been getting a 1.5" grouping at 200 yards. Not great, but for a 60 year old rifle it is not too bad. If you break anything you are screwed. However, you can get new stocks for it. For the money it is a good value. Maintain the the rifle with light lube, clean after you shoot, and store it properly. You will have a great value for your money and a long lasting rifle.
Semper Fidelis

Last edited:
The 740 came first and most had issues with accuracy because o f the forearm attachment method. The 742 changed that, but they were for the most part inaccurate compared to bolt guns. Most of the jam-o-matic part was because the owners did not clean them properly. The rifles came with a chamber brush that most folks put up and did not use properly. The gas action spewed crap into the chamber and if not cleaned properly, the chamber would pit thus causing the case to stick to the chamber walls and the extractor would slip over it often tearing the rim of the case. The factory triggers were long, heavy, and creepy.

At one time most of the deer hunters in my family owned 742s in .30-06. Today none of them hunts with one. Every member of the family has gone to a bolt action. Part of the reason they wanted autos in the beginning was to shoot at deer on the run in front of dogs (illegal then and now) and they wanted firepower.

My dad, grandpa, uncle, heck everybody had one when I was a kid. None of them held on to em, dads would only cycle 180 Remington core lokt stuff. Everything else would jam and it was cleaned and maintained properly. Groups where awful, dad traded for 1895 marlin in 45/70 and hasn't looked back.

I knew a neighbor who hunted with a 740 chambered in 280, and it would jam on occasion. On the flip side, I used my dad's 760 pump in 30-06, and though it kicked like a mule, it was extremely reliable.

I've got a 7400 in .270 and with the Federal 130gr NBT's it can shoot MOA to slightly better. It does have a heavy recoil for a .270 which is odd, it being semi-automatic. It's ok, don't use it much.

Chupa

I've had a 1959 Remington 740 chambered in 30-06 that was my Dad's.
I've been using it for decades with open sights as a close quarters "down in the creek" wild hog gun.

Though it only holds 4 rounds, it is more than adequate for my needs.
Modern high velocity ammunition ensures that it cycles properly.

I have only had it jam ONCE. That was shortly after I got it from my dad.
I tore down the action and found it filthy.

Because they are a PITA to tear down and put back together, I am sure that most people do not maintain them properly (you must tap out retention pins like in the 870 shotguns to drop the trigger assembly).
Additionally, the action will not stay locked back in the open position without a magazine in the chamber. That makes it difficult to clean the breech and bolt face.

The release for the action is on the magazine, and is of an odd design.
10-shot, high capacity after market magazines do not lock back the action on the last shot.

So, humans being the lazy bums that they are, don't do a good job maintaining their weapons and then they have problems with fouling, smooth operating and component failure.

I've had no problems with accuracy.
I shoot it with open sights out to 50 yards and always hit 2-3" dirt clods.
Last weekend my teenage son was plinking on dirt clods at 25 and 50 yards and nary missed a one.
Not a single malfunction after another 50 rounds.

I would not buy a 740, 760, 7400 with the intent of turning it into a MSR.
They cannot handle that kind of heat and cycling.

Overall, if you are meticulous with cleanliness, these are reliable firearms that can be had for a couple of hundred dollars. A good "beater" gun to ride on the gun rack.

Last edited:
They weren't the terrible gun many have it cracked up to be. Like any semi auto it requires a frequent cleaning to keep on running right. The rails wearing out were mostly a matter of not being kept properly lubed. There are two problems I see repeatedly in my shop, neither are very common...one is the barrel nut coming loose and the other is the bolt stop flying apart when the gun has been shot a lot. It is a strange design and most owners don't take it down and clean/lubricate the gun properly. Some were amazingly accurate while others just had a bad barrel from Remington. I have a 270 here now that about all I can say is it will keep them all in a pie plate at 75 yards. I have killed one deer at over 300 yards with one back in the 70's. That bolt stop thing is a pain because you cant get the parts from Remington any more. Midwest Guns has/had{??} them, it's a "repair kit" with the springs and detents.

I deer hunted with a 742 carbine in .308 for 6 years. It wasn't a tack driver by any means, but it killed 9 deer in that period and was a reliable rifle.

Back