What Bullet Grain 30-30 for Coyotes?

canislatrans54

I see a lot of 150 & 170 grain bullets for 30-30.

If a person wanted to use a 30-30 for close/mid-range coyote calling...what would you guys recommend?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Are there any factory bullets that are smaller than 150gr?
crazy.gif
confused.gif

Pelts would not be saved.

Also, is it true that even with a brand new lever gun, a person using Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo, would need to replace a part (can't remember which) in order for the last cartridge to chamber correctly?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

They make 125gr factory ammo. Remington even has a 125gr bullet in their Managed recoil stuff that would be good for short range stuff.

Any bullet out of a 30-30 will kill a coyote. If you're looking for a little extra speed, I know Winchester makes a 125gr hollow point cartridge for the 30-30 and I'm sure there are others. Finding them may be a different story. If you are into reloading, there are a lot more options that open up for you.

I haven't heard anything about having to change a part to use Lever-Evolution rounds but I have never tried to use them in my lever guns either.

Any weight will work just use what your rifle is sighted in for. I used a dirty thirty and a loaded down .300 savage when I started calling, the first yote I killed was with a 45/70 marlin it made a mess. The 30/30 with 150 hornady didn't do much fur damage besides a pass thru.

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54

Also, is it true that even with a brand new lever gun, a person using Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo, would need to replace a part (can't remember which) in order for the last cartridge to chamber correctly?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

That ammo functioned fine in an old Marlin and Winny lever gun I tried it in without any mods.

Will: The only problem I have ever heard of with a lever gun not properly cycling a PARTICULAR TYPE of ammo, was the Marlin .357 not properly cycling wadcutter ammo.

This was due to the magazine cut off "missing" the rim of the next cartridge in the magazine causing a double feed thus jamming the gun up. The rounded/tapered and smaller diameter tip of regular shaped bullets would allow the cut off to move far enough to reliably catch the rim of the next cartridge.

The flat and very close to the same diameter wadcutter bullet would not allow the cut off to move far enough to reliably catch the next cartridge. This no wadcutter warning was actually written into the owners manual for the rifle.

I fooled around with my Win. '94 some tonight and I can't see any reason Leverevolution would cause a problem in a '94. I won't make any assumptions about the Marlin 30-30s.

I spoke with a buddy today who shot a lot of lever evolution ammo he said some rifles will shoot high with iron sights and that he put a higher marbles front sight sight on his 336 that did this. his other 336 marlin shot fine with the same ammo.

I have shot a lot of Leverevelution ammo out of my 336 Marlin and never had any problems.
As to what ammo works best, The ammo that works best in your gun for deer hunting works best also for coyotes.

Might see if you can find Hornady 110g Round Nose.
I picked up box of 110g spire point blems and they worked surprisingly well out of my .308 DPMS. So well in fact I loaded up the remaining 85 or so rounds just to have something loaded for that rifle.

Originally Posted By: HookedMight see if you can find Hornady 110g Round Nose.
I picked up box of 110g spire point blems and they worked surprisingly well out of my .308 DPMS. So well in fact I loaded up the remaining 85 or so rounds just to have something loaded for that rifle.

If only I were a reloader
blush.gif
(sigh).
That's something I never learned, & living in a one bedroom house, don't have space to start.
blush.gif

Back