sierra 165 grain hpbt in a 30-06

curlyd

I just bought some sierra 165 grain hpbt gameking bullets for my 3006. When I seated the bullet to sierra's recommended c.o.l. of 3.16, I was having trouble getting the projectile to eject. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue with these bullets and if they had a length that worked for them. This is in a Remington pump rifle. Thanks for the help

I just worked up a load with my howa 30-06 with them but its a bolt action ,cant help with a pump gun. 3.175 was the OAL i went with 49 grains varget if that helps any.
9666636719_8ff2709f76_b.jpg

Just a guess, it could be many things. If you mean trouble to eject at initial slide operation. Your projectile is probably in the rifleing , the ctg/brass has entered the forcing cone/lead or you are bumping the shoulder back when you ram the round into the chamber. Try seating a few thou deeper and if that doesn't work, try trimming your brass or bumping the shoulder back a few thou when resizing.

Quote:When I seated the bullet to sierra's recommended c.o.l. of 3.16, I was having trouble getting the projectile to eject.

If you mean that you cannot extract/eject the loaded cartridge, as Gunny said, Quote:If you mean trouble to eject at initial slide operation. Your projectile is probably in the rifleing , the ctg/brass has entered the forcing cone/lead or you are bumping the shoulder back when you ram the round into the chamber.

Another possibility is that (if) you are crimping the case, your seating die is improperly adjusted and you are crimping before the bullet is fully seated. This will bulge the case just below the shoulder and cause it to hang up in chamber.

Quickest way to check for all of the above is to "color" a loaded round with a black felt-tip marker, chamber it carefully and then check to see where the black is scraped off.

Regards
hm

Back