Good Start To 2013 - Coyotes and Walleyes

Kirsch

Long story so bear with me. I typically start hunting coyotes in Sep but it was August 31st, so I thought that is close enough. I was spending the weekend at relatives in pretty good coyote country. The forecast was hot on Sat and windy and cooler on Sunday with light winds.

I got up on Sat morning and the wind was blowing 20mph+. I almost went back to bed but thought I haven't killed a coyote since early Spring, so I better get at it. I left without a lot of optimism. First stand about 2 minutes in, I had a hard charger coming in. Barked at it, stopped it and my 6WOA did the rest. With one down, I hit the kiyis and the 2nd coyote showed up soon after. This one was only about 50 yards away, so coyote number 2 went down. First stand of the year and a double, taking out the alpha pair in the area.
Coyote1.jpg

Stand #2 was a blank but I saw a coyote pup slip into a sunflower field as I drove down the road, so where there is a pup, alpha coyotes must be close by. After starting to call by the sunflower field on stand 3, the alpha male let loose behind me and I knew it was bad news as that was the only direction the wind could be an issue. I got aggressive hoping the female was in a different location and she was. A minute or so later, she came in to find me instead of an intruder.
Coyote2.jpg

The wind kept getting stronger and now it was up to 30mph. I hated to quit but wanted to try some walleye fishing the rest of the day. I caught my limit of walleyes, got them cleaned up, and picked the kids up from Grandmas. I was recapping the day thinking 3 coyotes, and a limit of walleyes isn't too bad for how windy it was. It was almost dark and my girls were already in their pajamas, when I saw a field that looked too tempting to pass up. I asked my kids if they minded me making one quick stand. They said sure. A quick change of clothes and with almost no light left, I found the closest cover and went straight to aggressive calling. It was now or never as the last shooting light of the day was almost over. Less than 1 minute into the stand, another adult coyote came to visit. I went back to the truck and my 9 year old daughter decided she wanted to come out and take a look at the coyote. She found out adult coyotes can be very heavy.
Coyote3.jpg

Sunday morning was time for church but the weather was really nice. My wife and I drove 2 separate vehicles and she took the kids and I went calling after church. There was only time for 2 stands and on the 2nd stand, I was able to harvest #5. Sorry, no pictures as I didn't have the camera along on that stand.

After lunch and some time with the relatives, it was time to try it again. My Brother-in-law wanted to come along since the action had been very steady. Conditions were good, but we hit 3 blank stands in a row. Doesn't it always seem to work that way, when you really want to get some, then you can't call in a coyote. Finally on the 4th stand, after the first howl, the entire area lit up with howls. Things were looking up. They came in as you would like in singles and kept coming. A little while later, 3 coyotes were down, and things were looking up. We ran out of daylight without any more action, but in review of my weekend, 8 coyotes and a limit of walleyes was a great way to start the season out.
Coyote4.jpg

Great start for the season, Kirsch. You may have trouble topping that one, but it will sure be fun trying. Kudos to you.

Awesome. Sort of a North Dakota August Grand Slam of some kind...
If it was bird season you'd have to get a coyote, pheasant, sharpie and walleyes for the Slam.

Originally Posted By: mt AlAwesome. Sort of a North Dakota August Grand Slam of some kind...
If it was bird season you'd have to get a coyote, pheasant, sharpie and walleyes for the Slam.

Mt Al, unfortunately for me, I did get the pheasant. The reason it was unfortunate, was it went through the grill of my truck on the way to church.
Coyote5.jpg

now shooting the coyotes was great, I think using the truck for pheasant is being a little "over gunned", just saying

Fine weekend Kirsch, congrats

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: mt AlAwesome. Sort of a North Dakota August Grand Slam of some kind...

Mt Al, unfortunately for me, I did get the pheasant. The reason it was unfortunate, was it went through the grill of my truck on the way to church.
Coyote5.jpg

Dang!! Sorry about that but at least you were on your way to church when it happened!

Originally Posted By: doggdownwhat part of nd you from?
From Fargo, but try to spread out my calling as much as possible. The area I hunt the most is South Central North Dakota. I do hunt South East quite often as well just because it is closer.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSWay to go man. What a great opener. Is it me or does your barrel look yellow?
I spray painted the Stainless barrel, a flat khaki/tan color as it had a lot of shine to it. I have a tan Hogue rubber forearm on the way to complete the gun. Tan looks OK in the fall, winter and spring at least to my eyes. Of course coyotes see different colors than we do. Stay still and it won't matter. I do try to make sure nothing shines though.

Originally Posted By: Rosco2469So were you mouth calling or E caller. What sound were the ticket for you?
I was using an eCaller. This time of the year I am focusing on alpha coyotes. A lot of people think it is the time of the year to kill pups but pups are very unpredictable this time of the year as they really don't know a whole lot yet. I get aggressive with the alpha coyotes in the area using lots of aggressive vocalizations. I do not use prey in distress calls this time of year with the exception of mouse squeaks if a coyote gets hung up.

Back