What I do for coyotes

Tactical .20

Here are most of the tools I use, first set pic is a dirthole half done, second is the set finished. Note I put a corn shuck upright on left side of trap jaw where a twig sized stick should go for a foot guide, hole is partially plugged with grass or corn leaves.

here is one type of flat set I make, it uses a 4" trench for a foot guide, lure goes at end of trench in the backing. I laid a long corn leaf in the trench in half finished set pic.where you see a corn leaf on the right side of the trap is where a dog or coyote turd is placed for a foot guide.

second pic set is finished, turd on top of sifted dirt, on right side, scratches in surrounding soil to make the look of a coyote did a kick back there.

Corn leaf in center, lower in pic, spot where a twig or small stone is placed for a foot guide.
On the dirt hole foot guide I rarely use a stick bigger than half a pencil in length, and about same diameter.
In the tool picture, I have a snare, the support, Wolf Fang anchor, and driver, lure bag, trap tool bag, pickax I use, trap, drag, drill with auger, sifter, and the all important scratching tool. I also use this tool to tamp the bedding material around and under the trap.

Last edited:
Not sure how .20 will respond but the pan was my lowest point probably 1" lower so the canine actually would step down onto the pan when I was trapping. Just curious ,what material is your pan cover, everyone tries and uses something different. Great pictures and explanation of your set.

no the pan is at same level as the hole, actually a lil lower with the scratches to make it look like an animal scratched the hole out.
I only use steel screen for a pan cover, this one is galvanized screen, there is also a stiffer black one thats sposed to be better. The cheap phone camera made the grey screen look almost blue. the screen should be cut to be long enough to go under both jaws, a slight help if soil starts to freeze, or bedding material starts to freeze in our damp cold trapping climate.
I made these sets in my raised bed garden, the soil on the bed is mostly compost, too crumbly for a good set illustration. so I used the hard soil in the trench of the garden(where I walk) for the set location.

Last edited:
Here is my atv, a Honda Rubicon, they are great cause there is no shifting, a hydrostatic drive trans. The boxes have load deviders in them to prevent load shift on side hills.

On setting the pan in a depressed area, I only use those type of sets in early fall. If there is a chance of rain, freezing rain, or snow I would like the set location to be a well drained spot, the pan if lower than surrounding area, it becomes a low spot for rain to run into, snow to be deeper there, I try to set my traps on a spot that drains well, and is maybe somewhat drift free, blown free of snow, if possible.
99% of my trapping is from my atv last 16 yrs, the truck usually only hauls my trailer to the area to unload the atv.

Last edited:
Back