Giant Cottonmouth Moccasin Killed Near Baldwin, FL

Rocky1

Be sure to watch the video!!

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mostpopular...tz6Gy0YIwA.cspx

Quote:
Giant cottonmouth snake found in Baldwin

Published: 12/06/2012 8:15 pm | Updated: 12/06/2012 11:03 pm

BALDWIN, Fla. -- Humongous is an understatement when trying to describe this reptilian guy or gal.

"It's one of the biggest moccasins I've ever seen."

A cottonmouth snake was found earlier this week in the back fields of Baldwin near the Nassau County line. When we showed Charles Ford the picture he was surprised.

"Most of them you see probably aren't 5 or 7 foot at the most...that would be a big one because something usually kills them before they get that big," Charles Ford said.

The snake weighed in at nearly 87 pounds and nearly 7 feet long.

It was found by a worker clearing the land off County Road 121, which Ford says is becoming more common. He believes the price of progress is pushing critters out into the open and forcing them to come face-to-face with humans.

And with winter around the corner, this one could have been looking for a meal before hibernation.

"They're cold-blooded, so can't be out when it's cold," Ford continued.

Ford has been around snakes all his life, and even raised some. He says the cottonmouth is known for it's white throat and tongue and belongs to the water moccasin family.

He hates this one got killed, and has advice for anyone who encounters one in the future.

"They don't want nothing to do with you, so leave them alone. They got a right to live too," he explained.

Despite most people's disgust with snakes, they do serve a positive purpose. Scientists say they help keep the eco-system balanced by eating rats, mice and other pests.

Copyright 2012 Cox Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Wow, they must be crossing with the invasive pythons
smile.gif
can you imagine a 15 ft cottonmouth?
smile.gif
80+ lbs is a huge viper.

Especially when they got the attitude of a cottonmouth!!!

Comments end of the video about them chasing you are not stretching things even a little. Back when I was a kid dad had one chase him up on the back of the truck to reload, because he emptied the gun trying to kill the ornery SOB. And, we're talking a 22 pump, so 12 - 15 rounds, and it didn't slow down one lick!!

Only water mocassins I've been around were at Ft Polk and only a couple at that.

Lots of rattlers in S. Tx. and have killed my share; only had two that showed real signs of aggression and they both tried to bring it on. They weren't faster than a speeding bullet, however.
smile.gif
Quite a few coiled and stood their ground, however.

Regards,
hm

There has never.....I repeat NEVER been an 80 pound cottonmouth!!!

This is just another example of the often reported 10 foot internet rattlesnake!

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't kill a Mississippi green water snake mistakenly.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: jumprightinitWow, they must be crossing with the invasive pythons
smile.gif
can you imagine a 15 ft cottonmouth?
smile.gif
80+ lbs is a huge viper.

The largest Viper in the world is a Bushmaster.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyThere has never.....I repeat NEVER been an 80 pound cottonmouth!!!

This is just another example of the often reported 10 foot internet rattlesnake!

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't kill a Mississippi green water snake mistakenly.

Chupa

Head on the snake in that video is not that of a Mississippi Green Water Snake.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Originally Posted By: ChupathingyThere has never.....I repeat NEVER been an 80 pound cottonmouth!!!

Chupa

Head on the snake in that video is not that of a Mississippi Green Water Snake.

You're probably right about that, can't be sure of the species without a better and closer picture of it. Something is definately not right about the story though. Around here, every snake killed or seen is "a copperheadedrattlemocassin" and usually wind up being a Plains Rat snake.

Chupa

Last week, a farmer about 30 miles South of me killed a monster cottonmouth while digging out a beaver dam.
They didn't measure it, but had pictures of it stuck on a potato rake.

It was Huge,and they said it was over 5 feet long, but not 6 feet long.
The TV station that ran the story checked, and said that the record cottonmouth is 6 ft, 2 inches.

Shayne

Last edited:
I am deathly terrified of ALL, I don't rightly care what species the are!!!!!
tongue.gif

I've always felt that the only good snake is a dead one...and I'm not to ashamed to admit it!!!!!!
grin.gif

Snakes are a huge reason why I've never hunted during the warmer months.

The only good "live" snake is a King snake, And that's because they will kill and eat poisonous snakes.

Any snake will bite you under the right circumstance but a Cottonmouth is a totally different animal. They CAN be very territorial, and you never know if they will back down, or come to meet you, with their mouth wide open.

Cottonmouths scare the scat out of me, not that I'm going to kiss a Copperhead or Rattler!

Shayne

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54I am deathly terrified of ALL, I don't rightly care what species the are!!!!!
tongue.gif

I've always felt that the only good snake is a dead one...and I'm not to ashamed to admit it!!!!!!
grin.gif

Snakes are a huge reason why I've never hunted during the warmer months.

BINGO

Back