Blowgun hunting

Juan Moreno

Has any one here used a blowgun for small game hunting? i just made one and a couple of mini broadhead and nail darts.I've been able to kill some dove like birds, a couple of lizards, rats and im planning on going squirrel hunting next. Any tips ? I will post some pictures if you want

2010-12-31%2019.43.54.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Juan.. Squirrels are remarkably tough. I'll be real interested to see how you make out. I know of one guy who hunts rabbits with one. It's a commercial job and I honestly don't know much about it. I did get to play with one on targets once. I was amazed how fast one could catch on. Good luck!

Welcome to the forums, Juan.

That is an interesting topic. Be sure to keep us posted how it goes. We all love photos too.

I tried blow gun hunting squirrels once. it was a commercial tube with commercial needle style darts. stuck one and he just pulled it out and ran off. I guess if i could have gotten a head shot it would have been diffrent. but this was right in the shoulder. Im sured he died. as when he ran off he ducked into a whole never to come back out. so thats when i stopped. maybe if i had a diffrent dart. but at the time all they had out was the needles and the stingers.

I use a Cold Steel Big Bore blowgun. Its RIDICULOUSLY accurate. I have taken lots of cottontail rabbits with it. Great selection of darts from practice to hunting. It takes some time to get it down but its great fun.

I use homemade and cold steel and have shot 2 raccoons with them. I counted time til death and a double lung shot with and exacto blade dart only took 8 seconds

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterI use homemade and cold steel and have shot 2 raccoons with them. I counted time til death and a double lung shot with and exacto blade dart only took 8 seconds

Wow that's impressive. Any pics of your homemade darts?

Although I have killed a few pigeons with them before, the main extent of my blowgun knowledge is as a kid running around shooting my friends in the butt with the blunt darts
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CreekTrapperOriginally Posted By: EasternPredHunterI use homemade and cold steel and have shot 2 raccoons with them. I counted time til death and a double lung shot with and exacto blade dart only took 8 seconds

Wow that's impressive. Any pics of your homemade darts?

Although I have killed a few pigeons with them before, the main extent of my blowgun knowledge is as a kid running around shooting my friends in the butt with the blunt darts
grin.gif
Sorry I don't. i make my darts out of 1/8" or 3/16" poplar dowels from home depot. the darts I make are anywhere from 10-20" long and I use a #11 X-acto blade with the bottom snapped off to form a triangle. Cones are just regular printing paper with scotch tape on the cone to "waterproof" them and I super glue them to the dowel and then put some hot glue in the bottom of the cone. I use a small hacksaw to cut a slot in the other end of the dowel so i can slide my blade down in it and apply adhesive.

If you are VERY VERY precise, you can get a dart to accept and fly straight with a #2 X-acto. Just a bigger cutting surface.

Ive been trying to hunt squirrels but its been raining alot here. so I have to wait till the rains stop. Because its hard to get to where the squirrels are at when the ground is muddy. I will post some pictures of the birds ive taken i dont have any of the rats because i shot them at night and theyre disgusting and they smell bad.

i use the cold steel blow guns and have taken quite a few cottontails, as well as starlings with them. i have a 5ft takedown model, as well as a 4ft "professional" model. the pro is very heavy duty and feels like it could be used as a fighting staff if needed. they are deadly accurate, and cold steel makes razor tip darts that work very well, for the birds, the stun dart kill them easily, or the bamboo darts skewer them and they cant go anywhere even from a slightly off mark shot

Back