Help sighting in my .22-250

Originally Posted By: Wyoming Winchester
Bipods from a concete shooting bench will group differant then bipods on the groung next to the bench.

I have not found that to be the case - you might be doing something wrong.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Wyoming Winchester
Bipods from a concete shooting bench will group differant then bipods on the groung next to the bench.

I agree with CS

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Wyoming Winchester

I agree with CS

Not meaning to dogpile but I agree as well.

Originally Posted By: Wyoming Winchester

Most guys are not very consistent in holding their rifles - even off of sand bags on a bench. When it comes to bi-pods, they are all over the place.

Bi-pods can be un-real in their accuracy potential... but you gotta learn to hold the rifle the same, no matter what it is sitting on.

You are probobly correct That "I might be doing something wrong".
I'm shooting from a bench that doesn't fit me. Granted rifle, load, wheather, do not change. I still group almost an inch higher off the bench then prone, off the ground, solid, and comfortable.

Most guys are not very consistent in holding their rifles - even off of sand bags on a bench. When it comes to bi-pods, they are all over the place.

Bi-pods can be un-real in their accuracy potential... but you gotta learn to hold the rifle the same, no matter what it is sitting on.

Thanks for all the help on this! Yesterday evening was a perfect time to get back out and re-shoot my rifle to see what kind of accuracy I would get. Since I had gotten the crappy ballistics at 200/300 yards the last time out I gave my barrel a good scrubbing and I don't know why but that seemed to have corrected the problem I was having.

Where I was shooting yesterday didn't allow me to take a 300 yard shot, but I was able to bench shoot up to 200 yards. I checked where I was hitting at 100 yards and I was about 1.5 - 2" high. When I backed out to 200 yards I was right on the money! I don't know if a dirty barrel can throw off the ballistics like that, but I was getting a very consistent pattern at 200 yards. My hope is now that I'm just a few inches low at 300, which I'll have to wait till I can get to my spot that lets me shoot that distance.

Now that I'm hitting where I know the rifle is capable I'm hoping to get some better quality ammo with a ballistic tip so I can REALLY dial this Howa in! Either way, I've never taken shots at 200+ yards, so for me to be able to hit a tennis ball at 200 makes me very happy!

I tried that same load out of my Ruger 1:14. At 100 yds they grouped well. At 200yds and beyond they performed terrible. Wide groups, flyers, and way too much drop just as you have described. I do not reload. I have had great results using Hornady 50 ur. V-max. Great groups and flat shooting. Bang flop.

Travis,
I have the Howa 1500 also in 22-250 and it is by far one of the best tack drivers I own. My load for it is 35.1 varget beneath V-max 55gr. Zero'd at 200, it is unbelievably flat almost to 300.

As for the Winchester 45gr hp's. I tried them since they were a cheap alternative for plinking. My tube spits them out horribly and I can't consider them as a hunting round for my gun. The pattern looks more like a shot gun blast then a rifle grouping. Every rifle is a little different and yours may handle them better than mine.

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

Lots of good advice and experience- I will add my .02. I like to sight my bolt action 22-250 to be about 1.25-1.5" high at 100 yds with my 52-55g bullet running at 3700fps and change. This lets me hold on mid chest fur on a coyote out to around 300yds in calm wind. I would say your Win white box ammo is not achieving its claimed velocity and that is the reason for the steeper trajectory. And your friends AR 'appears' to shoot flatter because of the increased height of the sight axis above the bore axis. The centerline of my scope on my 22-250 is about 1.75"(high rings) above the bore centerline. The cl of my scope on my ARs are about 2.75" above the bore cl because of the ergonomics/construction of an AR. Increased sight height above the bore is akin to using a tapered blank moa scope base that long range marksman use. Here is a pic so you can see the comparison.

photo_zpsba97ebaf.jpg

Back