Field Tested; Heavy Magnum Coyote

Oh I totally agree, one shot is always the route to go. I am glad that I can now do it for $1.60 as long as I can call them in close enough.

So really the moral of the story is that nothing defeats a good set-up, playing the wind correctly and making a smart clean kill.

Sounds like a handy shell to keep in your equipment. Good info on them. I would like to see how they compare out of the same chokes to federal bb just for the purposes of testing out that versatite wad in the heavy magnum coyote shot. Also in the perfect world some penetration tests of the 2 compared to 4 buck and dead coyote and 00buck. My wife would kill me if I got into anymore expensive projects for self gratification.

Originally Posted By: 22catSounds like a handy shell to keep in your equipment. Good info on them. I would like to see how they compare out of the same chokes to federal bb just for the purposes of testing out that versatite wad in the heavy magnum coyote shot. Also in the perfect world some penetration tests of the 2 compared to 4 buck and dead coyote and 00buck. My wife would kill me if I got into anymore expensive projects for self gratification.

The dead coyote T shot will penetrate much deeper than the Federal and Hornady lead BB loads and the lead number 4 buckshot loads. At 30 yards and less the lead BB loads may work better because they don't pattern as tight so it will be easier to put the pattern on the coyote.

The Federal 3" 1-7/8 BB load weighs 3/8 oz more than the Heavy Magnum 1-1/2 oz BB load. There should be around 18 more pellets in the Federal BB load.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob

The dead coyote T shot will penetrate much deeper than the Federal and Hornady lead BB loads and the lead number 4 buckshot loads. At 30 yards and less the lead BB loads may work better because they don't pattern as tight so it will be easier to put the pattern on the coyote.

I don't see how T shot is going to out penetrate 4buck. Your saying because the 4bk ain't plated is why you think this is true? Or am I missing something?

Tungsten T shot does out penetrate LEAD #4 buck. I have seen it personally many times while doing pattern testing using plywood/ 2x4's as a back ground. Tungsten T will shred the 2x4 @40 yards and LEAD #4 buck gets stuck about half way through.

Originally Posted By: brained
derbyacresbob said:
I don't see how T shot is going to out penetrate 4buck. Your saying because the 4bk ain't plated is why you think this is true? Or am I missing something?

I have personally tested both. even with the same shell (hevi shot dead coyote 3-1/2") the T shot out preforms the 4bk. I was getting a average of 7 pellets on a paper plate at 60 yards with the T shot and a average of 1 with the 4bk at the same distance. I guess in the end it depends on your choke but I have tested tons of shotgun shells (all in the same Carlson's dead coyote choke) and the dead coyote T shot by far out preforms any shell I have yet to test.

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanTungsten T shot does out penetrate LEAD #4 buck. I have seen it personally many times while doing pattern testing using plywood/ 2x4's as a back ground. Tungsten T will shred the 2x4 @40 yards and LEAD #4 buck gets stuck about half way through.

Interesting.

Originally Posted By: brainedOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbob

The heavier than lead shot like Hevi-Shot, Rem HD, Federal Heavyweight and Winchester Xtended Range etc, are also harder than lead so it does not deform or flatten out. You don't have to shoot very many coyotes with Tungsten alloy loads to see how much better it breaks bones.

Below is some info I wrote a long time ago that is in GC's sticky post on shotgun patterns at the top of the Firearms forum. This info is on page 9.

On the first catalog I shot into at 40 yards, I shot it with a Hevi-Shot "B" load, a Rem HD #2 waterfowl load and a Federal Premium lead copper coated BB load. The first pellet I found at "80 pages" was one of those ugly Hevi-Shot B pellets with two smaller size pellets that were stuck to it. At "page 115" I found 1 Rem HD #2 pellet. I only found two of the lead copper coated BB pellets in the catalog at "pages 211 & 279". The Hevi-Shot B load I found a total of 9 pellets, 7 of those were between page 80 and page 279 and the other 2 B pellets were found at page 359. Of the 25 Rem HD #2 pellets I dug out of the catalog, most of them were between pages 211 and 319. 4 of the #2 HD pellets were between pages 359 and 429. The next catalog I shot was kind of a shocker to me. I shot it with number 4 buckshot, Dead Coyote 3" T shot and Rem HD 3" BB water fowl load. The 4 copper coated lead number 4 buckshot pellets came out of pages 316 to 337. They were all mangled up. I found 7 Dead Coyote T pellets, 1 at page 218, 1 at page 291 and 1 at page 316. There were 3 T Dead Coyote pellets at page 367 and 1 at page 420. Here is the shocker part. I found a total of 10 Rem HD waterfowl BB pellets in the catalog. The first one was at page 290, 3 pellets at page 413, 1 pellet at 465, 2 pellets at 507, 1 pellet at 581 and the deepest pellet was at page 610.

IMG_1977.jpg

This is a picture of the pellets I removed from the catalogs. The top row is the messed up copper coated lead #4 buckshot. The second row is the Dead-Coyote Hevi-Shot T pellets. The 3rd row is Rem HD BB and on the right are the copper coated lead BB's. The 4th row is the Rem HD #2 waterfowl pellets. The 5th or bottom row is the Hevi-Shot B goose load pellets. So what I got out of this was my old favorite Federal Premium lead copper coated BB's are not near as good as the Rem HD 2's or BB's. I was pretty sure the Dead Coyote T shot would out penetrate the 4 buckshot. The Rem HD BB's out penetrating the number 4 buckshot and the Dead Coyote T loads was a surprise. The Rem HD #2's look to be much better than the Hevi-Shot B goose loads also. The HD 2's out penetrated the Hevi-Shot B pellets and there was 51 more HD number 2's per shell than the Hevi-Shot B load.

Great post Bushman and thanks for sharing! Some great info in here from everyone. I love threads like this one. Good stuff! I kill most of my coyotes with a rifle but when I'm carrying the shotgun, I'm carrying the hevi-shot T shot loads in it also.

Originally Posted By: GCI could just kick Remington's azz for dropping that HD-BB load from production.

I seen where they have some 2.75" HD BB home defense loads. I cant remember for sure but I think they are 1.5oz loads.

Originally Posted By: 22catOriginally Posted By: GCI could just kick Remington's azz for dropping that HD-BB load from production.

I seen where they have some 2.75" HD BB home defense loads. I cant remember for sure but I think they are 1.5oz loads.

IMG_7754.jpg

The 2-3/4" Remington UHD 2-3/4" HD BB loads are 1-1/4 oz loads but they are still a great coyote load. I told everybody I could to buy them when Bass Pro Shops was selling them for $9.98 per box they even had them for $7.98 per box for a while.

While these Rem 2-3/4" shells were selling for 80 cents to $1.00 per shell just the shot to reload a 1-1/4 oz Tungsten alloy 1-1/4 oz load was costing $1.56 per shell.

At the time the Rem 3" 1-1/2 oz HD BB loads were selling for $35.00 per box of ten if you could find them. The 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz loads were $1.00 per shell and the 3" HD BB loads were $3.50 per shell so the extra 1/4 oz in the 3" shells made the 3" shells $2.50 more per shell.

The Rem 2-3/4" HD UHD loads had 58 pellets per shell and the 3" Rem HD shells had right at 70 pellets per shell.

Why should ammo makers produce a cheaper more effective round, when the $50/box DC stuff sells very well? I bought a few boxes of it when it was $26/box, but no more for me. Good ol' #4 buck will have to do.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: brainedOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbob

The heavier than lead shot like Hevi-Shot, Rem HD, Federal Heavyweight and Winchester Xtended Range etc, are also harder than lead so it does not deform or flatten out. You don't have to shoot very many coyotes with Tungsten alloy loads to see how much better it breaks bones.

Below is some info I wrote a long time ago that is in GC's sticky post on shotgun patterns at the top of the Firearms forum. This info is on page 9.

On the first catalog I shot into at 40 yards, I shot it with a Hevi-Shot "B" load, a Rem HD #2 waterfowl load and a Federal Premium lead copper coated BB load. The first pellet I found at "80 pages" was one of those ugly Hevi-Shot B pellets with two smaller size pellets that were stuck to it. At "page 115" I found 1 Rem HD #2 pellet. I only found two of the lead copper coated BB pellets in the catalog at "pages 211 & 279". The Hevi-Shot B load I found a total of 9 pellets, 7 of those were between page 80 and page 279 and the other 2 B pellets were found at page 359. Of the 25 Rem HD #2 pellets I dug out of the catalog, most of them were between pages 211 and 319. 4 of the #2 HD pellets were between pages 359 and 429. The next catalog I shot was kind of a shocker to me. I shot it with number 4 buckshot, Dead Coyote 3" T shot and Rem HD 3" BB water fowl load. The 4 copper coated lead number 4 buckshot pellets came out of pages 316 to 337. They were all mangled up. I found 7 Dead Coyote T pellets, 1 at page 218, 1 at page 291 and 1 at page 316. There were 3 T Dead Coyote pellets at page 367 and 1 at page 420. Here is the shocker part. I found a total of 10 Rem HD waterfowl BB pellets in the catalog. The first one was at page 290, 3 pellets at page 413, 1 pellet at 465, 2 pellets at 507, 1 pellet at 581 and the deepest pellet was at page 610.

IMG_1977.jpg

This is a picture of the pellets I removed from the catalogs. The top row is the messed up copper coated lead #4 buckshot. The second row is the Dead-Coyote Hevi-Shot T pellets. The 3rd row is Rem HD BB and on the right are the copper coated lead BB's. The 4th row is the Rem HD #2 waterfowl pellets. The 5th or bottom row is the Hevi-Shot B goose load pellets. So what I got out of this was my old favorite Federal Premium lead copper coated BB's are not near as good as the Rem HD 2's or BB's. I was pretty sure the Dead Coyote T shot would out penetrate the 4 buckshot. The Rem HD BB's out penetrating the number 4 buckshot and the Dead Coyote T loads was a surprise. The Rem HD #2's look to be much better than the Hevi-Shot B goose loads also. The HD 2's out penetrated the Hevi-Shot B pellets and there was 51 more HD number 2's per shell than the Hevi-Shot B load.

That's good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Back