Hey .260 AR10 guys, learn me something.

bluealtered

Ok, i can't fight it any longer. I'm going to do a .260 ar10 to round out my 260 family of rifles. I haven't even started looking at specs yet but thought i would ask you guys about yours first.

Twist and length i know, weight i don't know, (it will be a carry rifle) or what issues i need to address before starting the project. So what have you guys learned from doing yours? Thanks.

Last edited:
I am also looking at either a 260 or 7mm-08. I will be watching this thread also to see what the experts say !
thumbup1.gif

I had a 308 and have a 243.Weight is the only think I would like to change.I don't know how you could make it lighter except a shorter lighter barrel.I am no expert.I will be interested to see if someone has a way to lighten them up.

I did some looking into this caliber an am going to go with the 6.5 creedmore because I an stuck on using the mega upper and lower. I would recommend using armalite upper lower for the 260 cause you can load longer out of the mags. I am by no means an expert that is just my opinion.

Not necessarily a good time to build. I am trying to build a 6.5 Creedmoor and am having trouble finding the parts. I can't find a bolt and carrier anywhere. I have one on backorder. Everything else is either here or headed my way although a few parts are not my first choice. I do have my barrel and after checking my max COAL with the bullets I want to load I have several that I will want to load longer than mag length will allow.

I know the CM case is a little shorter than the 260 which is why I chose the CM. I am building a DPMS pattern and I don't know how much more mag length an Armalite will give. I wish I could get about .1 more out of a pmag.

So where did you guys end up with this? I just ordered my matched lower/upper and am leaning towards a kreiger barrel may go as long as 26", but would love to see what you guys came up with.

Originally Posted By: bluealtered
Twist and length i know, weight i don't know, (it will be a carry rifle) or what issues i need to address before starting the project. So what have you guys learned from doing yours? Thanks.
I haven't "done" one, but using the Armalite "AR-10" with a 22" 1-8twst, works great with the 140's on down...
our DPMS "LR-260 with a 24" 1-8twst barrel is a straight shooter as well... both perform sub moa easily if you handload.

Boy, my life has really changed since posting that. Due to different health/vision problems all the rifles have gone except the smaller calibers like .223/6.8 spc.

I was cleared a month ago to start building/using larger calibers like the 308 and have picked up a ar308 to start my build with but i'm taking it slowly.

I still have plenty of .243 and .260 ammo if at this point i decide to go that direction again. The only given at this time is that it will be an ar platform so i can control the recoil.

Are you shooting suppressed blue? That takes a lot of the concussion out of the initial blast. Not sure what vision problems you've developed, but that might help.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: sendit223Are you shooting suppressed blue? That takes a lot of the concussion out of the initial blast. Not sure what vision problems you've developed, but that might help.

Sendit

That helps a lot. My father thought he would never shoot again until he shot suppressed. When he visits me now that is all he wants to do.
smile.gif

No guys i'm not, yet. I'm still playing with buffers, muzzle brakes, springs, gas blocks etc. So far i have gotten the recoil down to that of almost a ar.223, which is working good so far. (I still get my eyes checked monthly)

I have been buiding cans on paper for a while now and when i do use one it will probably one i make, (and stamp) simply because i'm a build a "better mousetrap" kind of guy, though theres some really good stuff out there.

I started hunting using the dpms lr260 with a 24 inch barrel and with a vortex viper the weight was like 13 pounds. I actually found an older dpms 260 barrel that is 18 inches long that they quit making with the miculek brake on it. I beleive it was the light hunter model but was discontinued in 260. The gun shoots great and saved about 4 pounds. I only lost about 80 fps with the same exact load in both the 18 and 24 inch barrels. Everyone says you dont want a 260 with any shorter barrel than 20 inches but mine seems to work well even up to 400 yards.

Contact Scott at Specialized Dynamics. He has built 260's and knows what he is doing and talking about when it comes to the AR platform whether it is large or small.

I had a LR243 for a couple seasons. It was a coyote hammer...55gr going over 4000fps. I put the shorter 18" barrel on it, colapsable stock, and a JP handguard. The JP has a smaller diameter and makes it feel much smaller. It just had a regular DPMS barrel and was very accurate. My only beef was that it was a tank. You can only reduce the weight to a certain point. Awesome rifle, too heavy for carrying a ton in the field.

At the moment i'm running a dpms with a "light" cmmg 18" barrel, the rifle with scope and loaded 10rd mag comes in at 10 lbs.

I'm waiting on a cmmg mk3 with the 18" light barrel, the last one came in at 9 lbs ready to go. I'm going to take one of their 16" 308 barrels and turn it down to the profile of the 18" light barrel, i think i can get maybe 4 ozs off it and come in at around 8 1/2lb or 8 3/4's when i'm completely done with a few other small changes.

Last edited:
Back