Field Tested; Heavy Magnum Coyote

Arizona Bushman

So, a few weeks ago I walked into my local Cabela's with a $50 dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket. I had used up the last of my Dead Coyote loads while in Utah and was looking to get a fresh box to hunt with. As I pushed my way through a pile of Tacti-Cool guys that were about ready to throw down over the last box of .22 LR, I noticed something glimmering on the top shelf near my coyote loads. What is this? I thought. "Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote" Well......it had a coyote on the box, so it must be good right? Decent marketing at best, but I needed to see for myself. So I picked up three boxes plus some beef jerky for what I would have spent on the Dead Coyote stuff and headed out to do some pattern testing.

I am running a 870 Supermag and put three rounds each on an 8 inch target at 40 yards. The chokes that I had were the Carlson's Dead Coyote, A Remington Predator/Turkey, a full and a mod choke.

The Dead Coyote Choke put 8-8-9 pellets on the target.

The Turkey Choke put 9-10-7 pellets into the circle.

The full choke put 14-14-19 pellets on paper.

And the Modified choke worked best with the Versatite Wad by placing 22-25-21 pellets into the 8inch target.

I ordered a light modified and improved cyl. choke but have yet to test them on paper.

Shooting paper is fun, but I was fixated on getting some real "coyote" results.

I have been out five times since switching to these loads and have managed to drop four grey foxes and one coyote. I have landed effective shots that range from less than three yards and out to sixty yards. However; I honestly wouldn't trust shooting BB's past thirty yards. Luckily, my partner had a quick follow-up to put the sixty yard fox down for good.

Today, I went out to call in a fox and ended up calling in a coyote. The shot was a frontal angle and put the coyote down at 29 yards. DRT, no problem! I counted 15 hits total, mostly in the neck and chest. There were no exits, so this tells me that the BB's used up all of their energy and leaves me to believe that 30 yards is the extent of the effective range for such a small pellet.

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneI would think 40 would be ok with the pattern?

And it would be...

Good info.
thumbup1.gif

good to know, good testing, all I have is a extra full choke with a long forcing cone in my 870 that Bansner's modified 25 yrs ago. I wasn't sure if it was ok to use Dead Coyote loads in it. Not sposed to use steel if I remember right.

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneI would think 40 would be ok with the pattern?

Yeah probably, I just don't have proof so I can't really speculate.

Shotguns do funny things in a short amount of time. I have shot coyotes using BB's in the past and tend to have alot more runners after 40+ yards. I don't think that the pattern is the issue with a BB load but penetration becomes the issue.

Your patterns at 40 will probably be fine BUT those BB's are losing energy fast and you will be wounding and not killing as the range increases. Good for you on the testing and limiting of the distance for your shots, lots of folks just pull the trigger and hope for the best!

Before I modified my shotgun I used 4buck and 00buck, I thought the 00buck was better. I dont know if I can use 00buck in the extra full choke

So, is it worth to you to spend three times as much to get a longer range w/ the "dead coyote" rounds?

by the way, your stats has disappeared from your sig. ;-()

Last edited:
I have seen well over 100 coyotes killed with Federal Premium 1-7/8 oz Copper Coated lead BB loads. Up to 40 yards away on coyotes that weigh 30 pounds and less they worked good.

The Federal Premium 1-7/8 oz loads have around 98 copper coated lead pellets in them.

Good info----keep it rolling.

I use Superformance 00 buck in my shotgun and have knocked several at 50 yards (and less) and most have been DRT or shortly there after. I also use 04 buck from time to time and it seems to work good also.

I had always been told when using buck shot to use a full or modified choke. I found in testing some of these new shells at the range that they are far more effective when using improved cylinder or light modified.

I have a hunting buddy who dropped one in his tracks at 62 ranged yards with the NEW Carlson Dead Coyote Choke Tube---that's when I ordered my Carlson Dead Coyote Choke Tube.

Keep the results coming AZ Bushman. I always enjoy your post!!

Originally Posted By: Fling-a-arrowSo, is it worth to you to spend three times as much to get a longer range w/ the "dead coyote" rounds?

The range and stopping power is nice. I have never had a "Dead Coyote" runner but I get a better rush from having to call them in so close to be effective.
I will probably stagger my shots by putting a Heavy Mag in the chamber and then having 3 1/2 inches of high speed tungsten to reach out and grab any runners.

Originally Posted By: Yote Yoda USMCGood info----keep it rolling.

I use Superformance 00 buck in my shotgun and have knocked several at 50 yards (and less) and most have been DRT or shortly there after. I also use 04 buck from time to time and it seems to work good also.

I had always been told when using buck shot to use a full or modified choke. I found in testing some of these new shells at the range that they are far more effective when using improved cylinder or light modified.

I have a hunting buddy who dropped one in his tracks at 62 ranged yards with the NEW Carlson Dead Coyote Choke Tube---that's when I ordered my Carlson Dead Coyote Choke Tube.

Keep the results coming AZ Bushman. I always enjoy your post!!

A couple of weeks ago, I shot a coyote at around 60 yards w/ a 3" dead coyote round and a Carlson extra full! Incidentally, I didn't realize he was so far!

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanOriginally Posted By: Fling-a-arrowSo, is it worth to you to spend three times as much to get a longer range w/ the "dead coyote" rounds?

The range and stopping power is nice. I have never had a "Dead Coyote" runner but I get a better rush from having to call them in so close to be effective.
I will probably stagger my shots by putting a Heavy Mag in the chamber and then having 3 1/2 inches of high speed tungsten to reach out and grab any runners.

that's a great idea..

As far as money wise ... if you stagger and shoot a runner with the expensive stuff because the cheap stuff didn't work then in the end your wasting money on the cheap stuff because if you would have just used the expensive stuff to begin with it wouldn't need a second shot. If that makes sense.

Originally Posted By: brusso89As far as money wise ... if you stagger and shoot a runner with the expensive stuff because the cheap stuff didn't work then in the end your wasting money on the cheap stuff because if you would have just used the expensive stuff to begin with it wouldn't need a second shot. If that makes sense.

($5.20 + $1.60)=$1.60 + $5.20

Fur on the Ground = Pricele$$

I'm saying 1.60+5.20=6.80 because the first shot didn't drop him. Or just 5.20 because that only needs one shot to drop which saves you the 1.60 with the same dead critter.

Back