Who makes the most accurate .22 Upper

Most dedicated uppers, as well as the conversion kits, will not provide the accuracy in the .22lr that you can get from a quality repeater in another style, unlike the normal AR configuration in center fire models...

About a year and a half ago, I did a Test and Evaluation on a DPMS dedicated .22lr upper...

Here is the whole thread: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2090728
Unfortunately, all the photos have been removed from my PhotoBucket album...

For practical shooting purposes it was an excellent item, well built, and easy to clean...However accuracy fell a little short of my expectations...And a variety of 25+ brands and types of ammunition was used in the T&E, some very expensive "Match" grade to common bulk pack..Still useful for hunting and plinking, but not for precision competition shooting...

A friend of mine had acquired a custom made .22lr upper from another builder that was more accurate as far as groups, but the downside was that it had a ceramic chamber, rather than metal and as such, is much more prone to damage through mishandling or using standard cleaning tools...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleMost dedicated uppers, as well as the conversion kits, will not provide the accuracy in the .22lr that you can get from a quality repeater in another style, unlike the normal AR configuration in center fire models...

About a year and a half ago, I did a Test and Evaluation on a DPMS dedicated .22lr upper...

Here is the whole thread: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2090728
Unfortunately, all the photos have been removed from my PhotoBucket album...

For practical shooting purposes it was an excellent item, well built, and easy to clean...However accuracy fell a little short of my expectations...And a variety of 25+ brands and types of ammunition was used in the T&E, some very expensive "Match" grade to common bulk pack..Still useful for hunting and plinking, but not for precision competition shooting...

A friend of mine had acquired a custom made .22lr upper from another builder that was more accurate as far as groups, but the downside was that it had a ceramic chamber, rather than metal and as such, is much more prone to damage through mishandling or using standard cleaning tools...

I have the same DPMS bull upper that you wrote about and I agree 100%. I haven't ran a ton of different types of ammo through it, but it's definitely not the most accurate upper. Having said that, it's a blast to shoot.

I have the same DPMS bull upper that you wrote about and I agree 100%. I haven't ran a ton of different types of ammo through it, but it's definitely not the most accurate upper. Having said that, it's a blast to shoot.

OldTurtle-- Who makes the best aftermarket mags for these? I'm in the market for a couple of them.

mpitmann...I tested the Black Dog magazines with the DPMS and never had a fail to feed, even when I mixed various brands of ammo, by intentionally alternating it in them...

hylander, Kies is no longer a sponsor here and I don't have any knowledge about his current production status...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle
hylander, Kies is no longer a sponsor here and I don't have any knowledge about his current production status...

Thanks Turtle, did not realize they were no longer a sponsor
Looks like I may just stay with the 10/22 setup

I have the DPMS BB and the accuracy improved after 1500 rounds.

It's as accurate as my stock 10/22 and seems to perfer CCI mini mag and Winchester bulk the best.

The black dog 10 & 25 round mags work flawlessly.

I contacted Kies several times to no avail.

I have a Jard 22 upper on a Cav arms lower.
I don't shoot my 223 upper nearly so much now that I got the 22.
The barrel is free floating.Works trouble free after breaking in.
It is accurate enough for me to hit a live target about the size of a pigeon at 150 yards, twice in a row. It came with a Brownells magazine.

fwiw, i have a taccom. bought the barrel and bolt. only have 100 or so rounds of federal automatch through it. can hit a quarter at 50 yards 10-12 of 15 shots on average. 100 rounds all went bang and flew out of upper. i'm using blackdog magazines. hope to find time to try other ammo soon, squirrel season is just around the corner.

I have 5 10/22s all have barrels other than factory. Vloquartsen,Whistle Pig,Elysium and 2 Green Mountain,a black fluted and a SS fluted.

Even though the Green Mountain barrels are heavy,for me they are the most accurate of them all. I've shot all brands through all of them too.

Back