??? about E-Bay

bl00dtrail

I was wondering how many have sold items through E-bay?

I have purchased, but never sold..... is there much to do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hey Bloodtrail, Selling is pretty easy. Just be sure and give an honest description of what you are selling. They charge you a few bucks to list your item, but it is worth it. I have sold lots of stuff, and done pretty well. The selling page is pretty self explanatory. Good Luck Jeff

Been doing ebay since '99 , never had a problem . If selling include as many pics as possible , be as honest as possible in your description. You can do alright on there, I have been successful selling stuff I could not giveaway locally. Be realistic on your shipping charges and you should be ok.

Selling is quite fast and easy especially when you get a couple under your belt. You can list an item for under a buck with pictures.

Never had any problems. Just follow the directions on the site. Definitely include as many good pics as possible. I don't bother with all the add-ons (bold lettering, colored background, "featured item status", etc.) Remember that most people there are looking for somewhat of a deal and also don't forget in your pricing the folks buying will have to pay shipping but not sales tax and you'll do fine. Have you listed your stuff on the classified section here? You miss out on all the yummy sellers fees that way.

Last edited:
How do you figure shipping? Do you just give a good guess or do you go to the post office first?

what happens if your item doesn't hit the "reserve" you've set? do you still owe E-bay the seller charge?

also..... what if I want the money to go straight to my checking account? can I still have Pay-Pal do that?

thanks alot... any other information I am missing?

You figure shipping by getting the buyers zip code after the item sells than look it up on the website of whatever service you're using..usps, ups, fedex, etc.. Personally, I have an account with UPS. I figure my shipping, pay for it online, then print out a shipping label with addresses and all, then drop it off at the local pac & send on my way to work the next day. She charges me a dollar for handing it to the UPS guy. It's usually a good idea to insure an item too. Don't forget to add that to the shipping charges It's not much, I think about $1 per $100 worth of value. When you get the shipping charges off the shipping carriers website, it'll ask do you want insurance. Keep ion mind, there are a lot of know it alls and people who suffer from the same malady I do..RFN syndrome. So they put the payment in the mail before they even hear from you what the exact shipping charges are. I won't quibble over $2 but it can be aggrivating.
If your item does not reach the reserve, you do not have to sell the item, therefore you do not owe the sellers fees. That's why I don't bother with the item enhancements. You have to pay for those wehter or not the item sells.
You can have the buyer pay you through paypal,rather, they put the money in your paypal account. Paypal automatically deducts thier fees, then you can deposit it into your checking account yourself, or keep it in there service charge free or have it put on a paypal Visa card which you can then use as you would any other credit card becuase it is a regular visa card. You can only request a buyer pay you a certain way too. I've listed items as Paypal only or paypal, M.O. only etc. A lot of people have trouble following directions. I've recieved personal checks in the mail after specifying Paypal or M.O. only. Then they had to wait 9 days for the funds to clear my account. They were ok with that but still if they'd have followed my directions, they'd have gotten their merchandise 9 days sooner. Never....NEVER ship someones merchandise until their funds are in your hand/account. I know most people are trustworthy but I've witnessed too many heartbreak stories to take the chance. Look at the one in our own classified section, poor guy just got jacked plain and simple. Just get in there and sell some stuff, you'll figure it all out.

Last edited:
Post office GIVES AWAY priority mail boxes of different sizes. The small one cost like $3.65 to mail the bigger one costs like $7.50 to mail. Doesn't matter how much they weigh. If you can fit it in there the price is still the same. I fit a Cabelas turkey vest in the big one and I could fit a pair of denim shorts in the small one.

Just an idea. Makes it really easy and you don't have to come up with the box!

Go to the post office and get the boxes, the Postmaster will know right away what you're talking about. Go home see if the item for sale will fit in the box and depending on which box it will fit in, that's what you will charge.

Now if the item is really big, then you're on your own.

Jeff

If that doesn't work where is a place to get some other different sized boxes?

good tip So.Dak..... thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Right now there is a "seller" on some of the auction sites called "Topnetseller", DO NOT BUY anything from this person it is a SCAM. They rob the pictures of guns from other places and put them up as their own. You send payment but receive nothing in return. I almost got taken myself, but figured it out last night. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to bust this person. Any suggestions? I managed to figure out their bank acoount number and routing #. Now I'm trying to figure out how to bust this SOB.

Walmart after 9PM is a good place for boxes of any shape and size. That's when they do their stock work. Also, liquor stores have plenty of medium sized very well made boxes. Of course plenty of places...Walmart, Walgreens, Eckerds, the post office, pac&send, etc, sell boxes if you have to have one and don't have time to scrounge around for one.

To bust a scammer, you bring the information you have to the attention of the auctionhouse moderators. They know how to handle it.

Quote:
Quote:
Post office GIVES AWAY priority mail boxes of different sizes. The small one cost like $3.65 to mail the bigger one costs like $7.50 to mail. Doesn't matter how much they weigh. If you can fit it in there the price is still the same. I fit a Cabelas turkey vest in the big one and I could fit a pair of denim shorts in the small one.

Just an idea. Makes it really easy and you don't have to come up with the box!

Go to the post office and get the boxes, the Postmaster will know right away what you're talking about. Go home see if the item for sale will fit in the box and depending on which box it will fit in, that's what you will charge.

Now if the item is really big, then you're on your own.

Jeff

You don't even have to go to the post office to get them. Go to USPS.com and order them online. They will deliver all sizes of boxes, envelopes and tape to your front door for FREE

Quote:
The USPS has lots of different shipping boxes and envelopes, some that are prepaid flatrate and others that you add postage....You can preorder them and have em shipped to you in any quantity you can use...great products and services!

http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal...s/Priority+Mail

Is there an echo in here??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited:
Wrongtarget...........good info

you guys have no idea how much this information is helping me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Hello,

One other thing to consider about shipping. Some items that are quite large for their weight (ie: snomobile hoods/windshields, hockey sticks, about anything made of carbonfiber, etc) will cost extra to ship because of the size. Also I sold a 24" cast aluminum lawn mower deck a while back, while only about 60 lbs by it self the crate I built for it added 25 lbs to the shipping, the cost: $120.00. The guy wanted the mower deck that bad that he paid 300% of the selling price of the deck to have it shipped to him rather than drive 300 miles to pick it up. So be aware that if your selling something big, it may be better to add "pick up only" than a huge shipping bill.

JA in SD

Back