Pre 64 winchester model 70 220 swift

plinkhard288

I've come across a pre 64 model 70 220 swift. Its in real nice shape I would say 95% plus with an older weaver scope. I know that its hard without pics but I was just wondering if anyone could give me a ballpark price on this. Thanks for any info.

Brett

I looked at a pre64 m70 in 220swift in that condition a few weeks ago. The price was $2300. The rifle had a unertl scope(hope I spelled that right) with external adjustments. Pretty slick varmint rig wish I could have taken home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeadbellyI looked at a pre64 m70 in 220swift in that condition a few weeks ago. The price was $2300. The rifle had a unertl scope(hope I spelled that right) with external adjustments. Pretty slick varmint rig wish I could have taken home.

Yup... you spelled it right, but the first letter is capitalized - "Unertl".
smile.gif

I say who cares if it needs a barrel if it's the right price (assume it does (that's why Jack stated to have it scoped)--lots of powder going through that thing). Pre 64 actions are worth quite a bit of $$$.

Send to Hart, wait 2 years and you'll have a fine shooting varmint rig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carcass CollectorsI say who cares if it needs a barrel if it's the right price (assume it does (that's why Jack stated to have it scoped)--lots of powder going through that thing). Pre 64 actions are worth quite a bit of $$$.

Send to Hart, wait 2 years and you'll have a fine shooting varmint rig.

Awful lot of money for a .220 Swift. I'd probably just buy a Remington VSSF II and save 2k.

I dont believe an old weaver will fetch that that much hm1996 a Unertl will come close though. If the bore is in good shape and the rest of the gun is nice it will bring around 2k. If the barrel is toast I would say more like 800 to 1000 depending on the year of manufacture. Some varmit rifles look nice but had the crap shot out of them. Also is it a sporter or a varmit model. Varmit would bring more.

An old Weaver scope ain't worth squat.

I see original K-10's that are clean, go for a buck-fifty on eBay.

That makes it a 50+ year old .220 Swift for $2,200...

... what Jack said.

Back in those days, Swifts got shot hard and put away wet... barrel steel was not what it is now.

For that money, it would have to be one of the high end M-70s, and then you don't wanna shoot it.

Take the $2,300, get a Remington 700 VSSF-II on Gunbroker, a Leupold bigassed varmint scope, mounts (Burris Signature ZEE), dies, and have enough left for a bacon cheeseburger... or 30!!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I agree the second poster would pay too much (he recognized that though)...

However, it was Brett that asked the question and never listed the price.

I do agree that $2,300 is way too much.

So, what was the price Brett? Or was it a make me an offer type situation? If so, do what Chad suggested and offer him $800 (assuming worst case). Make sure you have the money w/you when you offer him that much. Times are tough; hard to turn down something in front of you!

Anyway, good luck.

Originally Posted By: W. Chad ShultzI dont believe an old weaver will fetch that that much hm1996 a Unertl will come close though.

You are absolutely correct, and a mindreader at that. I was sure I read where it had a Unertl on it....don't know where I got that idea!!??????

Regards,
hm

Edit to add:

Man, I feel better now! Right church, wrong pew. I thought we were talking about this one:

Quote:I looked at a pre64 m70 in 220swift in that condition a few weeks ago. The price was $2300. The rifle had a unertl scope(hope I spelled that right) with external adjustments. Pretty slick varmint rig wish I could have taken home

Whew, though I was losin' it for a minute there.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion hm1996, those pre64 m70 are over priced well I will take that back, priced for collectors and probaly don't need to be taken afield and fur dang sure dont belong in my hands. If I was going to spend that kind of money it would be on custom rig.

Once Winchester came out with the new controlled feed action the value of the pre 64s took a serious hit. Probably only worth half what they were worth 20 years ago. And 20 year old money was worth a lot more.

Jack

Hey, Leadbelly, my bad. I'm the one that can't read!
blushing.gif

I love the pre-64's, just can't afford them any more. Wish I'd bought a barrel of them back when they were $120, but $100 was worth something back then.

Regards,
hm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the the great info. The bore is VERY Clean. The price he is asking is $1200. Its tough because I also have the option of a NIB VSSF II in 220 swift as well as a NIB first generation Ruger M77 when they came with the Douglas barrels. Too many choices...but they are good choices to have. Thanks again.

Brett

If the rifle is in the shape you describe it, including the bore, $1200 is not a bad price for a Swift. As for the scope, its value is almost nil other than maybe it is a period scope for when the rifle was made.

I have two pristine condition L-461 Sako sporter weight rifles in 222 Rem and 222 Rem Mag that both came with old Weaver 6X scopes. Both scopes are very clear and track well, so I left them on the rifles as is. They fit time-wise.

My next choice of the ones you named after the Model 70 would be the old tang-safety Ruger 77. Last the new Remington. The new Remingtons are around in good numbers, but older rifles in good condition in 220 Swift don't show up every day.

if the vssf II is truley new in the box and can get it under 2 grand buy it up. If you dont, give me the info and I will buy it. I sold mine that I kept NIB for 2 grand on gun broker. If I were to be buying for a keeper, it'd be the winny. Money maker...VSSF

Thanks again guys for your help.

VM...

Both the VSSF II and the old ruger are NIB. I believe I could pick them both up for around 2 grand together. I've been looking at the VSSF for a while now especially seening what they are bringing on GB.

Brett

Back