Grandpa N's Knives

Tim Neitzke

Was out to my Dad's this weekend and he got out some knives and asked if I wanted any of them. They belonged to Grandapa Neitzke, he's been gone a few years now.
Now I'm not really a knife guy,but I thought you guys might like a look.
Picked out a couple.

Last edited:
Very nice knives, your Grandpa had good taste and its neat to see them being passed down. It's hard for me to see but that looks like an old Schrade on the right in your photo. Your new EDC's right
cool.gif

Congrats and thanks for sharing them
Bob

Thanks Bob .

The little one is a Schrade Improved Muskrat. Thinking about getting it sharpened up and use it for skinning a few critters.

The Case is not legal here for carry. Too long ,IIRC. It will be just a show piece.

A fresh edge, a walk, and a a few critters is always good......have fun with it afield..........your grandpa will be smiling.
Best,
Bob

Those little muskrats are good carry knives. Bet it would be handy for the small stuff like fox. Those are something to hold onto. I have my great grandfathers EDC pocket knife and his pistol he carried in his boot. They are priceless to me.

Ken , there was 2 of the big Case,one was well used and the other was hardly used at all. There was also some older knives of diff brands all EDC and plenty worn. You know how those old guys like to file and grind on them.

There is also some "good Case" knifes that are locked away at the bank. I don't get to play with those.
wink.gif

Thanks guys.

Not sure to be honest. It is similar to a Barlow pattern but has a broken wood handle that looks like walnut to me.

Worthless to anybody else
wink.gif
. My dad asked me of all the things he owned, what I would like most. This box was my choice. He gave this to me in a walnut presentation case before he died. Street value less than $150 for the whole box, but priceless to me. It belonged to his mothers father.
PICT0230-1.jpg

Tim,
My mom bought my dad one of those big Case two blade folding hunters in 1962 for a Christmas gift. It has been dad's only "deer knife" for all this time. Last year at age 80 he gave it to me and said he probably wouldn't be field dressing or skinning any more bucks. Dad had that knife in his back pocket for 49 years in the deer woods. It is the only knife I've ever seen him use on a deer. The handles have some well earned dings in them, the blades a beautiful deep patina and a razor sharp edge on the old carbon steel. I plan to keep it well maintained and get it out in the woods with me here and there... gotta stop typing. Got something in my eye...

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunAgreed. Way cool Corey.

I can help you identify/ evaluate those knives any time Tim, if you ever decide to.....

Doesn't the knife in the box look like a TL 29?

Last edited:
Yes and no. I thought it was just a "straight jack" with a broken blade. It is not a Barlow.

BUT, the long pull on it makes me think it may be a certain brand of straight jack.

Keep in mind, nearly every company out there at the time made a similar looking knife. However, not all with long pulls.

Also, is it 3 3/8" in length?

I'll have to get it out this week and get a better picture of it. I have them tucked away and not near me right now. Will get measurements too. Hold on to your Grandpas knives and guns guys, they don't make them anymore once they pass
wink.gif

Back