25x45 Sharps Update

I know it would probably be an educated guess on your part, but in your estimation, what would be the expected velocity for this chambering in an 18" barrel and say a 90ish gr projectile?

I've been thinking about one of these ever since you started shooting one. I've got a 6x45 in an 18" and absolutely love it, but I think maybe I might like this even better.

Chupa

No I have chrono'd Sierra 90gr Blitz Kings even though I mainly load 70gr Blitz Kings using ARcomp. I think I have some of the chrono photos posted in older posts some where.

I have lots of load data that works for me in mine

I will look and what chrono I have written down

Here is my most accurate load I use with 70gr BK

The loast photo is Accubonds loaded up

25x45chrony.jpg

mm4.jpg

25x45g.jpg

My son with a dead critter

S3010011.jpg

accubond1.jpg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterSo is this 25-45 Sharps any different than the Black Hole 25X45?

Greg

Sharps did pay the bills on the SAAMI standardization for it. It's simply a 257 bullet in a 223 case. As to "exact" chamber specs on the Black Hole, no idea but I bet not as they are both 25x45. It now has Sharps name on it but its been around a long time. I ordered some Redding dies and am talking with Sharps about getting 100pcs of their Sharp 25x45 brass.

I messed with a 25-223 for a while that a guy was having barrels cut for over on the arfcom site. That cartridge has the case/chamber trimmed back to 43mm, supposedly to shoot heavier bullets. I have shot a lot of 100gr bullets and several heavier ones out of the 25x45 with no issues. But....the 25x45 is better suited for 100gr and below. But that just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: KAGOriginally Posted By: GLShooterSo is this 25-45 Sharps any different than the Black Hole 25X45?

Greg

Sharps did pay the bills on the SAAMI standardization for it. It's simply a 257 bullet in a 223 case. As to "exact" chamber specs on the Black Hole, no idea but I bet not as they are both 25x45. It now has Sharps name on it but its been around a long time. I ordered some Redding dies and am talking with Sharps about getting 100pcs of their Sharp 25x45 brass.

I messed with a 25-223 for a while that a guy was having barrels cut for over on the arfcom site. That cartridge has the case/chamber trimmed back to 43mm, supposedly to shoot heavier bullets. I have shot a lot of 100gr bullets and several heavier ones out of the 25x45 with no issues. But....the 25x45 is better suited for 100gr and below. But that just my opinion.

Kind of what I thought. The weight issues come into play no matter what we do to the 223/556 case. I have followed the 25X43 saga over on the other site. 60+ pages. Impressive thread but distilled down, IMHO, only a marginal gain in that you can use longer/heavier bullets. The new high performance bullets are letting us shoot the little guys faster and get good down range results.

I looked at the old Copperhead 222 based round and it looked good. I know the 25X47 based onthe 222 Mag would be better for the speed but that two millimeters would kill the bullet choices greatly. The 45 is it by far a more usable alternative.

Does the Sharps have a non-standard shoulder angle? I might go for some of the brass. I have vacilated over a 25 for a couple years. I may go this route if only for the cool factor. If the Redding dies are available as a brushing style it would be a plus. I have already arranged to do a conversion on a 223 Type S so I can load the original 25X45 I have been negotiating on.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: KAGOriginally Posted By: GLShooterSo is this 25-45 Sharps any different than the Black Hole 25X45?

Greg

Kind of what I thought. The weight issues come into play no matter what we do to the 223/556 case. I have followed the 25X43 saga over on the other site. 60+ pages. Impressive thread but distilled down, IMHO, only a marginal gain in that you can use longer/heavier bullets. The new high performance bullets are letting us shoot the little guys faster and get good down range results.

I looked at the old Copperhead 222 based round and it looked good. I know the 25X47 based onthe 222 Mag would be better for the speed but that two millimeters would kill the bullet choices greatly. The 45 is it by far a more usable alternative.

Does the Sharps have a non-standard shoulder angle? I might go for some of the brass. I have vacilated over a 25 for a couple years. I may go this route if only for the cool factor. If the Redding dies are available as a brushing style it would be a plus. I have already arranged to do a conversion on a 223 Type S so I can load the original 25X45 I have been negotiating on.

Greg

Redding dies are available from Sharps. $84.00

If I remember right....BH has a couple of barrels already cut. I agree on the 25x47 and i looked hard at it also. I have been absolutely captivated by the 25x45. As of yet i have not had any coyote that has been hit run, crawl, or limp away. It hammers them. The deer killed with it (100gr) were taken cleanly....none crumpled but most only no further than 30yds. All of the 87gr soft point bullets have performed well. The 85gr nosler BT and 90gr Sierra BK are deadly on everything they touch.
I really like the 70gr Sierra BK as they fly well and leave massive wounds....not fur friendly. Plus I picked up a couple of 500 bullets boxes in a trade. I have used a bunch of powders and it is fairly forgiving and adaptable to what yo have on hand. But I am not a paper guy as much as i load for hunting and field use.

sharps25x45_zpsc81b7827.jpg

Thanks for the information. BHW just moved so I will wait a bit to bug them. They have three projects in the mix for me right now. Maybe when it cools down I will pursue a shakedown on one of these.

Greg

So does anyone know exactly how sharps will proceed here?

Yes they have dies and brass are the going to distribute uppers too? Will just a barrel be an option or are they planning on selling complete rifles.

I want!!

Originally Posted By: nitisSo does anyone know exactly how sharps will proceed here?

Yes they have dies and brass are the going to distribute uppers too? Will just a barrel be an option or are they planning on selling complete rifles.

I want!!

http://www.broadswordgroup.com/index.html

http://www.broadswordgroup.com/black_forge.pdf

Some of these are available now and some....like this whole thing, is coming. For those that do not reload supposedly there is going to be 9 million rounds available soon. I am interested in the 65gr 257 bullet.

http://www.broadswordgroup.com/sharps_ammunition.html

Currently available or will be

Ammo - Yes
AR15s - Yes
Uppers - yes
Barrels - Yes
Dies - yes
Brass - Yes

Last edited:
I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but I got my 25-45 Sharps barrel today and I need load data! Will CFE223, Varget, IMR8208 XBR, Varget or BL-C(2) give suitable results?

Originally Posted By: GSPKurtI apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but I got my 25-45 Sharps barrel today and I need load data! Will CFE223, Varget, IMR8208 XBR, Varget or BL-C(2) give suitable results?

Use 6X45 data for a start. They are so close that you have a plethora of baseline data plus the huge thread on ARFCOM should give you something to cogitate. Those powder choices will do fine.

Greg

There is mountains of 6x45 data out there
Might be a starting point and place to look for powders to use ----
Comparable weights are not the same only starting place ---
Be careful -- Good Luck
Thx

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing how this one shoots. I've almost picked the phone up two or three times whan talking with Ritch. Black Hole has teh Sharps barrel contract so I tend to gravitate toward them. I'm out of striped uppers but that one is on the list as one of my next three or four builds.

Since I'm shooting the 25X6.8 and the 25 WSSM I have a few pills to use. Since I have four 6X45's I have lots of experince in that area with the same case with a bit less expansion. Not hard at all to step up that extra 0.014 and have some fun.

Greg

Sizing and trimming brass, then just wait for the bullets...

I ordered .257 90 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Regular or Magnum primers?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GSPKurtSizing and trimming brass, then just wait for the bullets...

I ordered .257 90 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Regular or Magnum primers?

My feelng is that is a great bullet for this one for general usage. My go to primers on all these little 223 variants has been the Remington 7 1/2's. Plenty of spark. Lots of guys love the CCI Magnums but I have not seen any real need. I shoot quite a few ball powders from Accurate and have never had any issues personally. YMMV

Greg

What happened to SRC on this round? I have a build using a BHW barrel but haven't done much with it yet. I bought some 90g TNTs as an all around bullet for starters.

Back