55gr Vmax not dropping coyotes???

Great info guys and all much appreciated. The first one I shot that ran off really had me second guessing my zero and the next night I double checked and verified it. Had be boggled cause in general I'm a good shot. (I practice, train, instruct, and compete a lot)

After last night I was totally floored as to how it ran off. I was out searching the area with the thermal imaging cause I knew it had to be there but never found it. I mean crap, I saw the impact on the animal. So I was starting to wonder what was up.

I'm giving it a break tonight, just too tired, but will go back out tomorrow night or so and take all the advice given. Will report back.

(Just FYI, I have been hitting it hard all week cause we spotted what we believe to be a cougar in close a week ago and that doesn't sit well with me. My kids play outside 20 yards from where it was spotted, not to mention the dogs and such. I'd love to come across that cat one night.)

Here's my opinion, based on my experience shooting 223 Remington and 17 Remington.

Here are some typical shots I am presented with. Sometimes you can stop them for the shot you want, sometimes you can't control it at all. I prefer to be patient and wait for the right shot opportunity, while my partner just can't stand to wait one second longer and it itching to shoot the first chance he gets. He "misses" frequently. I almost NEVER have a bad shot. I like my way better.

In a perfect world, all shots would be just like this. Put it righ in the crease of their armpit.
C11_zps6d74014a.jpg

This is what many of my shots end up looking like. Quartering towards me. I prefer a neck shot instead of trying to shoot around the femur.
C09_zpsd48fb2e9.jpg

This is not ideal either, because he's blocking his vitals with his leg. Yes I can punch through that bone but I'd rather not. Neck shot!
C08_zps82c72864.jpg

Same here, if you hit the "elbow" you might not penetrate enough to the vitals. I'd take the neck shot here.
C06_zps14c5ca14.jpg

Sometimes this is all you have. The shoulders are pretty much blocking the vitals, so I'd go for the head if I HAD to shoot right now.
C10_zpse93f69aa.jpg

Quartering away like he's about to leave, or looking back? Do what you gotta do. Try to sneak one in behind the leg, or take the neck shot.
C07_zps501484bc.jpg

Either one would do here. I'd go for the neck.
C04_zps364617c9.jpg

Definately neck shot here.
C02_zps92e84abf.jpg

No comment.
C05_zps7f16ade0.jpg

I don't see this opportunity much, but either shot would do. I'd probably go neck, since this would likely be a close shot and the neck is bigger than the brain, which is attached to the head and moves all over.
C01_zps6772d420.jpg

Dirty Dog nice pics and shot positions marked. Should help anyone having trouble ! Last photo looks like a crap shot , ha ha ha !

Dirty dog.Ive killed numerous coyotes hitting them right on this dot.with the right bullet this coyote isnt going very far.I shoot a 22-250 or a 204 ruger.I will say with the vmax and a 204 I have had bad luck.I have not shot the vmax in the 22 caliber so I cant comment on it.I think if a coyote is hit in the head with a 55 grain vmax he is going down!So ya I think the head shot was a miss.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGYou "missed".

You may have hit him, but not where it counts. If you did, he would not have run off.

This is NOT where you're supposed to hit them, unless you like watching them run away...

coy_zps4f2c86c3.jpg
This dot

Actually, if you look at the skeleton of the Coyote, or other canine for that matter, your better shot placement is to run a mental image line from the head to the shoulder and the paw up from a vertical position and put your round in the area where the two lines intersect...

The heart is located between the lungs and what would appear to be a shoulder shot is not...Most other hits will result in a run off, most of the time...You only have about two inches in diameter for a DRT..

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleActually, if you look at the skeleton of the Coyote, or other canine for that matter, your better shot placement is to run a mental image line from the head to the shoulder and the paw up from a vertical position and put your round in the area where the two lines intersect...

The heart is located between the lungs and what would appear to be a shoulder shot is not...Most other hits will result in a run off, most of the time...You only have about two inches in diameter for a DRT..

+1

Im not a real big fan of V-Max rounds in any case. They're good for p-dogs and such, but when you need to kill a bigger animal you need to look at the bullets that do a far superior job. I would almost go as far as to say that they're junk, but I'm sure somebody would just love to jump all over me and disagree vehemently.

I personally prefer Sierra 55gr BTSP Game kings. They don't blowup, and they retain they're weight. The yote gets all the bullet has to offer and you don't have to worry about getting a "good shot". A bullet that retains weight is always better for critters with a heavier build and body structure.

Originally Posted By: BigGrizzI personally prefer Sierra 55gr BTSP Game kings. They don't blowup, and they retain they're weight. The yote gets all the bullet has to offer and you don't have to worry about getting a "good shot".

Never uses the Vmax but bought several pounds of 55 gr. Sierra 2nds (not sure what they are, but have flat base, not BT) that work great on coyotes, bobcats and even shot a number of feral hogs with good results in the .223. 55 gr. Nosler BT's work great on coyotes/cats, too.

Regards,
hm

I'm a little like Big Grizz when it comes to the ballistic tips and larger animals (Coyote size and above) and prefer the .224 Winchester 64gr PSPs...They are a lead nose round point and seem to hold together much more reliably for energy transfer,,,Plus, they tend to punch through bone without a splash effect and still mushroom...

Not to say they are the best, or there are not better on the market...

In the smaller calibers, like my .204, I really like the Berger 35gr HP

I agree vmax rounds are shallow penetrater's but I have killed a lot with the 40gr vmax.Right now I use the 50 gr vmax they are mostly drt.
For the op maybe your not hitting then in the vitals or they are running farther then you think before dying.Make a 100 yards search pattern from the shot coyote.

i havent lost one with a vmax yet. ive been with buddies that lost them when they shot them with a vmax. ive shot around 40 or 50 since i got my AR and vmax. had a few run off but the dogs found them.

Vmax are very fragile..

I've been shooting these exclusively for over a year. I've seen less than perfect shots from me and my buddy..

The bottom line is that if its not in the boiler plate , you can lose coyotes using Vmax!

Vmax are fragile, and blows a hole on the surface, but doesn't penetrate deeply with less than perfect shots. If you hit bone first, its not a good thing..

Just my opinion..

Back