What did you do with your Son Wednesday Afternoon?

daddyflea

My Son and I talked about hunting at Lunch Wednesday and decided we would go that afternoon. I got home late for work and it looked like rain. The place we were headed to hunt is not a place where you can ignore rain. It is secluded and there is no gravel roads anywhere.

We gathered our stuff and headed out the door. We had no sooner got in the truck and it began to rain. I just recently bought a 4 wheel drive truck, so we decided to ride out and look anyway.

On the way we started fiddling with our Walkie Talkies. We use these as we walk through the woods using the Spot and Stalk method to kill these hogs. Somehow my radio had a Roger Beep signal turned on and I was having trouble finding out how to turn it off.

We got almost there and it poured down. We wrote off hunting but decided to ride by and look. We got there and the rain was much lighter. We could see light nearly all the way around us. We decided to ride through the field.

Hogs were not visible in their normal spots but I was sure the cool weather and rain would cause them to roam.

Lee looked over and saw a huge Boar walking along a small stretch of woods that border the River. This hog was about a 1000 yds off. Lee took off after it. The hog entered the woods and Lee saw it. He was able to get within about 50 yds and the hog was now in brush. The hog was headed toward a trail so Lee sat down to get a good rest. The hog was two steps from offering a shot when he threw up his nose and winded us. He was gone and we never saw him again.

We walked back to the truck and rode to the woods. The rain had stopped now.

We decided to make a short walk through the woods, so we devised a plan to walk in a general direction paralleling the river about a 100 yds apart. If one of us spooked or shot at hogs maybe they would run to the other and offer a shot.

I saw hogs first and they saw or smelled me. The wind was at my back. They ran away from Lee. We moved on and shortly I saw another group of hogs. Apparently they had smelled Lee and was getting away from him. The wind was still at our back. I got one good shot and killed our first pig.

I lost sight of Lee and did not know where he was. I called him on the radio and told him the hogs had run away from him.

I moved on and aided by three glasses of tea the call hit me. I leaned my rifle against a tree and had my pants around my ankles when Lee started shooting.

Lee told me the hogs had run toward me but I never saw them. Lee said he killed two.

We were now in a core area for the hogs. It seemed like the hogs were very reluctant to leave this area and did not know where to run.

We moved on and soon I saw a bunch of hogs. I started shooting and killed 5.

These hogs ran to Lee and I heard him shoot. Lee walked to my location and showed me blood all over him. He said the hog had come running up the trail he was on and was so close when he shot it, blood spattered all over him.

Lee took some pictures but never sent them to me. He is doing football practice so his time lately is limited especially since he also has a job.

I started to realize all these hog pictures looked alike so I did not take pictures of all of them. We moved on and realized we were already much farther from the truck than we wanted to be.

I walked a little farther and saw another group of hogs. I only got one good shot and flubbed it. I wound up having to shoot this one twice. These hogs also ran to Lee and he got a couple.

It was now getting late and dark so I called Lee on the radio and could not get him. I heard him shoot again but I still could not get him on the radio, I then felt my phone vibrating and it was Lee calling me. "Dad I lost my Radio, my gun is jammed, and there is hogs all around me snorting at me. Can you head this way?"

I could tell by his voice he was a little rattled. We started using these Caldwell Brass catchers because we shoot so much we need to keep our brass. The only problem is they do occasionally cause jams especially if you are not careful and crush the wires that hold them in place. Lee is left handed so he naturally holds the ejection port to his body.

From the last shot Lee sounded like he was about 4 hundred yards behind me. I took off and hogs were all around me, snorting. It was now dark and I only had a small pen light. Lee had a decent shooting light attached to his rifle. I could not see any of the hogs but I could hear them in the brush.

I got to Lee and he had his Rifle cleared. We then figured out how to turn the Roger Beep back on and found his radio another 300 yards back in the brush.

I used the Find my Car ap on my phone to get the compass. We started out of the woods and found that we were 2 1/2 miles from the truck and about half of it was thick brush.

We finally found an open field but it was full of Bull Nettle that really ate our lunch.

We eventually made it back to the truck a full two hours after dark.

Our final total was 13 confirmed kills with two probables. Our next hunt will be early morning at daybreak when it is cool and we both can't wait to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you two had a great time, even though there were a few bobbles...While I try to keep my brass as well, I think under the circumstances where the catcher can cause a jam, especially when in areas where the game can turn on you, I'd be ditching that type of catcher...

I made a 'deflector' for each of my ARs that throws the extracted round straight down, near my feet, out of an old truck inner tube but doesn't negatively affect the extraction process..It takes a little trial and error to get the deflection angle the way you want it..

You can control the flexibility by the degree you cut the 'notches' at the upper part of the flap...The deeper the notches, the more it throws the brass out, instead of down..not too hard to find you brass in most cases....

Back