Savage and Remington Actions Interchangeable ?

Graylake

I am wondering if anybody can tell me for sure. I was told the other day that savage and remington actions are interchangeable in stocks. Is that true?

I am asking because there is a nice Boyd's stock for a remington short action at a local shop. And if it is possible to swap it for the stock on my savage 12bvss.

I would then have a spare savage stock that I could use as a replacement when I get the new 204 in a savage. I would be able to get the cheaper synthetic stock and switch it. That would save me a couple hundred bucks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Graylake

Go here: http://www.boydboys.com/

The phone number is 605/996-5011

I think you will find the answer is no, they are not interchangeable, but you may as well hear it from the experts.

A word of warning. In January, as a cabin fever project, I bought a Boyds VIP finish level stock. Inletting was supposed to be 98%. Nearly drop in, they said. Took me 12 hours of fussing and fooling around to take care of the 2%. Am I glad I did it? Yeah. Will I ever do it again. No.

Snowshoe

I have talked with Boyd's and the girl that I was talking to didn't really understand my question and just said no. She wouldn't pass me along to anyone else.

The only reason that I am thinking about this is because when I was on the McMillian site, they talk about how the remington and savage actions are interchangeable with their stocks and I was wondering if that is the case with all stocks?

I may go a see if I can try the stock before I buy it.

What tools were you using for the inletting? Did you just have hand tools or were you using a dremel.

If it works are there any words of advise that you can give me, such as things to do/not to do?

Thanks

Graylake

Even if they are close, the remington stock does not allow for the barrel nut on the savage stock. I would not be suprised to find that a Savage action will it in a Remington stock with a little adjustment to the Remington stock. But then there is the issue of magazine location and trigger guard shape and location.

I just got a reply back from McMillan's. They said the remington stocks work with just a bit of inletting.

I think I will pass on this stock. A bit of inletting is no problem, when you know what you are doing.

I think I will just order up a proper stock from Boyd's

thanks

Graylake

I don't know about a short action but I can tell you for sure that you can't put a savage long action in a remington long action stock.

The screw holes will not align, the bottom of the action well where the magazine will be, has to be completely cut out due to the fact that the well is not deep enough for the Savage magazine to fit in.

Once you get that "fixed" you will realize that the tangs are different. The savage is a tang saftey so it is less material in the metal surrounding it which in turns leaves this big gaping hole that has to be filled... Whew... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.... I could go on more..

Ok I will!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif As for "minor" inletting..... Yeah right lol........ I am in the process of doing a project and I am nearly finished (I hope). It has taken me off and on a year and a half to do...

In other words, do some tear it out and try again!!!!!!!!

If you try it good luck......... James L.

Back