Texas is Losing the War on Feral Hogs

Saw a video not too long ago here on PM of a helicopter and some gunners with infrared scopes mowing down a $hiton of hogs. I would pay to do that.

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherSaw a video not too long ago here on PM of a helicopter and some gunners with infrared scopes mowing down a $hiton of hogs. I would pay to do that.

People do pay to do that.

I'd say let people hunt, Ok they have to take a class, they have to wear a gps locator, the have to swear the hunters promise, I love pork chops but can't see paying $600 or more to hunt a nuisance animal. I've come close to paying $700 2 times but backed out both times, I just cant see it....
Oh I want too, but my hillbilly rednecking ways wont let me.

What's gonna happen if they don't the state will wind up taking tax $$ and paying millions of $$ to hired good buddys
to fly around killing thousands and leave 'em laying....
Is that what the farmers want down there?

They could feed many thousands of people with these pigs, but will it ever happen. If I had a 10,000 acre ranch down there
I'd let people hunt it, I'd want them to take the hunters oath
I certainly wouldn't complain about pigs then charge hunters
$250 a pig. Kinda like going in a bar then complaining 'cause people in there drinking.

How about a national feral pig BBQ week round up the free food, sent it all over feed the hungry, oh never mind no profit
in that, I forgot about that it's gotta be big $$ in it or if the government is involved they would have to waste billions of $$ in the process.
Oh well i'd guess pork chops are better that beef anyways.

This summer I had a Yellow Jacket nest starting under the eve of my house. I tried everything I could to get rid of them but had to PAY $250 to have the nest destroyed. Recently I had voles and moles tear up my beautiful lawn and the sides to my beautiful new paving stone walkway. Tried everything I could to get rid of them but had to PAY $150 to have them killed. I have a few cattle farmers in Nevada that let me hunt their land to keep the coyote population down and I am not charged for the hunts or number of coyotes I put down. I do not charge the ranchers a dime to help eradicate the coyotes from their land. If the land owners in any state piss and moan about how bad the hogs are tearing up their crops, land and killing livestock they should let the hunters hunt for free. Put a cap on how many hunters per day and be selective is fine. But to gripe about the hogs as they destroy their land and then charge $$$ so you can hunt the land is BS. They can keep their land destroying hogs. Or they can PAY $$$ to have them trapped or killed just like any other nuisance critter.

Quote: certainly wouldn't complain about pigs then charge hunters
$250 a pig. Kinda like going in a bar then complaining 'cause people in there drinking.

Most likely the ones complaining about hogs are not the ones charging for hunters to kill them.

Places that charge to hunt hogs, usually want more.

People with small pieces of land that are getting tore up are likely the ones complaining. The hogs are only on their property when they are doing the damage (usually at night) and my only be there a night or two a month. But the damage done in one night can be extreme.

For the average feral hog, the processing fees can be more than the meat is worth.

Usually the processing fee for a 100 pound hog is the same as it is for a 300 pound hog, and the most will dress around a 100 or 150 which might yield 40-50 pounds of meat for $75-$100 processing fee.

In the area I live, you could hunt hard for hogs all day long in areas that have good numbers of hogs and never see one.

Quote:This summer I had a Yellow Jacket nest starting under the eve of my house. I tried everything I could to get rid of them but had to PAY $250 to have the nest destroyed.

Eeeks. I think I'm going into the yellow jacket removal business!

I didn't read the whole thread, but with that said....

They would have far fewer hogs if ranchers/landowners should quit charging people 100's of dollars to help rid them of their pest problems. JMHO.
Just sayin.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesQuote:This summer I had a Yellow Jacket nest starting under the eve of my house. I tried everything I could to get rid of them but had to PAY $250 to have the nest destroyed.

Eeeks. I think I'm going into the yellow jacket removal business!

Clark Pest Control. Put on his bee suit, climbed a ladder, used a plastic bottle and blew in some gray powder, took him 10 Minutes. Pretty good racket if you ask me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PowerfisherThis summer I had a Yellow Jacket nest starting under the eve of my house. I tried everything I could to get rid of them but had to PAY $250 to have the nest destroyed.

$5 Can of wasp and hornet spray, and a case of beer, after dark, would have done the trick. Someone in the neighborhood is brave enough to climb the ladder and apply the spray for the case of beer!! Guaranteed!!
thumbup1.gif
You do it after dark so that they are all in the nest when you spray, otherwise you miss those in the field.

Likewise, if you can figure out how to get it up there, dawn dish soap and water will kill them as well. Insects all have exoskeletons, and breath through their skin. The soap bubbles clog their airway and vapor locks them. If you can figure out how to make it foam and get it up there, you can wipe them out for a whole lot less than $250 without damage to paint or siding, or the environment.

In honey bees we have this little invasive species called the "small hive beetle", which raises tens of thousands of little grubs that crawl over everywhere sliming everything up. I took the ether can and a Bic lighter after a bunch on the concrete floor in the shop one day. They curled up, rolled around a little, then straightened out took off again. Bug sprays don't even phase them in larval state!! But, you can put 2 tablespoons of Dawn Dishsoap in a pump up sprayer with a gallon of water, and walk around and spray the little creepy crawlers, and they wriggle around for a few seconds, foam up, and die on the spot!

----------------

Too many BIG ranches out there to have an impact on the hog population through hunting or trapping. It's a serious problem, no doubt. Were I a young fellow that enjoyed hog hunting, I'd be investing in lots of hog hunting equipment and advertising a pig pest control service.

Originally Posted By: crapshootI didn't read the whole thread, but with that said....

They would have far fewer hogs if ranchers/landowners should quit charging people 100's of dollars to help rid them of their pest problems. JMHO.
Just sayin.

You know this hog thing goes full circle......some guys PAY to hunt hogs and some guys get PAID to hunt hogs. I don't do either one and I continue to get land to hunt on because I volunteer my time and expense to hunt for farmers with hog and coyote problems. I show up with expensive NV gear to help them out and in return I get lots of land to hunt on. I also hunt alone....They give ME permission to hunt.....not my buddies or their buddies.

Once you get your foot in the door with a few landowners and you respect their property and show some appreciation for the privilege to hunt they will tell their friends and the next thing you know your phone is ringing and you have a new property to hunt.

I just picked up a new 800 acre tract that is covered up in hogs that have never been hunted. The owner decided to let me hunt because I am friends with one of his buddies and he knows I hunt alone. I went up to meet the caretaker that watches the property and we hit if off pretty good. As I was about to leave he told me the guy with the adjoining 400 acre farm had an even worse hog problem. He was going to call him and get me permission to hunt that also. I left with a key to the gate and another 400 acres to boot.

It takes persistence and time but you just have to keep at it. You also have to get used to hearing the word "NO" and not take it personal. Just say thanks anyway and move on.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesQuote:

$5 Can of wasp and hornet spray,

Yep, that stuff works extremely well. Shoots a good distance too.

A lot cheaper than pepper spray and shoots farther too. Spray an attacker in the face and he'll stop cold.

Typically 20-25 ft. so as to be able to reach the peak of the gable ends of the house on ground floor. Two story typically requires a ladder. Most cans will tell you on the label how far they reach. If it says it foams, don't buy it, that stuff usually only shoots 12 - 15 feet, and you wind up needing the ladder under the eaves, half the time. Raid and Black Flag are probably the best in respect to distance. I want to say Black Flag has the better distance of the two.

We spray more than our share of yellow jacket nests in the way of PR, having lived here in our small town ND location for 49 years next summer. Likewise, deal with more than our fair share of honey bee swarms in bushes, trees, walls, etc. etc.

The fact that a bunch of gun toting, good ol boys (who are presumably conservative) have such a liberal view of private property rights is nearly comical.

Gaining access to a property that does not belong to you for any reason is a privilege, not a right. Anyone with such an entitlement attitude would never be welcome on anything I own or have access to.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some of you guys would be happy if Obama issued a mandate that private property should be open to use from the public for the "greater good". But then again, surely you don't think that is a good idea...

I like to hunt hogs mainly with dogs. The easiest way to get land to hunt is from farmers during crop season. I picked up 8000 acres of high fence this year that has corn, rice, and milo growing in it, along with a whitetail breeding program. The farmer that farms this property has a helicopter fly it twice a week, they thermo hunt at night and still can't put a dent in the hog population. The hogs run for the brush and timber when they here a helicopter and they can't stay out all night with thermo and be able to work the next day. So we bring in the dogs and kill hogs for free and it is a win win situation for everyone.

Here is a small one of of that property.

6996c14825e32c8af95d9a3372efee8f_zps695d3efb.jpg

This contact also led to another ranch he runs cattle on. Here is a couple from that property.
d78c8e267ac48d8fec02bfcd7283baab_zps8a8e1436.jpg

60082a646ba27b12eefd8378e30cd7d5_zpsfe86ee15.jpg

The nest was inside the wall of my house and I could only get to the entrance hole they were going in and out of. I could not get to the actual nest. Other companies would not come out and kill them, they wanted to tear the siding off my house and remove the queen. I went through five friggin cans of wasp spray, used dish soap and water in a spray bottle, Murphy's Oil Soap in water, Ammonia and actually sprayed WD40 in the hole. It all worked till it dried up. Then they would come back cuz I couldn't get to the nest and kill the queen. I tried for two weeks to kill them or make them move and failed. So, ya, $250 and ten minutes and it was over. As far as the rodent problem goes, I used every store bought method to get rid of them, poison pellets, smoke bombs, granules of some sort that soak into the ground that make them move but non of that worked so I again had to have a professional come in and get the job done. But by the opinions that are shared by some of the members here about pest control and nuisance critter management, I should have charged them to destroy the wasp nest and tunneling rodents. After all, its my land and I have every right to charge somebody to help me.

I erased this because I shot my mouth off without knowing what the heck im talking about. I want to go on a hog hunt, that's all I know.

Last edited:
Quote:The nest was inside the wall of my house and I could only get to the entrance hole they were going in and out of.

Yep! That does present a problem. Hard to get the spray where it needs to go inside the wall.

While I would agree with you to a point on the landowner situation, a great deal of the problem with landowners is bad hunter experiences in the past, coupled with fear of liabilities incurred in granting access.

Back