Help New Howa 1500 Build

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunIf you do a little research, specs on scopes, rails, rings are all readily available.

Not all 20moa rails are same height, neither are all makes of rings, whether highs or lows.

I'd pass on the DeadNutz myself.

With an average height 20moa rail, I doubt you would need high rings.

I'd pass on the Deadnuts too.

Low rings have worked for me on every 50mm scope I've mounted over Varmint contour barrels.
I have 2 sets of medium rings, and both sets are on 56mm scopes over Varmint barrels.

You know Jeff, they may even be lows in the pic. Or, may be mediums installed to get B&C flip-ups on.

Either, they are definitely not highs......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunYou know Jeff, they may even be lows in the pic. Or, may be mediums installed to get B&C flip-ups on.

Either, they are definitely not highs......

Yep, base height and flip-ups will definitely make a difference!
All of my scopes in the low rings are so close to the barrel that I have to notch the rubber bikini covers for them to fit over the objective.

If im not pleased with the dednut set up or if its to high, what rail would you say to put on there? This setup will be heavy and recoil wont be much, so can i get away with an aluminum rail? Those Burris you have shown ive heard are extremely good.

I have used Badgers, Mark 4s, and several other more expensive rails.

I have also used several EGW rails and have no complaints. They are moderately priced and work just fine IME.......

Online ive read that the remingtion 700 rails fit the howa. Did a little more digging and i found somewhere that the 700 short action rails wont fit the howa short actions. Have you had howas to know what rail to get? I called midway and they were no help figuring this setup out

I've always used Seekins rails and rings because they were the first I tried and I liked them.
I've heard nothing but positive comments on the EGW that 2mg mentioned, and they are a lot less $$ too.

Mind stating where you bought the barreled action from? The "dealers" I've asked about one from around here act like they don't want to bother with ordering one. Can't even get a firm price quote on a stainless varmint (.243), just hints they probably won't go below SRP.
Probably won't have to bed that in a B&C Medalist. Only reason I would is if the heavy barrel touches when the forend is supported; then only the action to get more clearance without having to open up the channel more.
Shoudn't have to go with high rings, especially with that 30 mm Millett tube. Personally, I'd go with a Vortex Viper instead; an arguably better scope for not much more $. More magnification wouldn't hurt, either, as you can always crank it down. Also, Remington 700 bases interchange with those Howas.
Keep us posted!

Originally Posted By: TcmOnline ive read that the remingtion 700 rails fit the howa. Did a little more digging and i found somewhere that the 700 short action rails wont fit the howa short actions. Have you had howas to know what rail to get? I called midway and they were no help figuring this setup out

The 700 long action and Howa long action will take the same rail, but the short action is different, the only one I have ever found for a short action Howa was the EGW and there's nothing wrong with the EGW there perfect

Back