17 TAC brass forming issues

Originally Posted By: The VirginianAnd my new Pro-Shot 17 cal cleaning rod showed up today compliments of USPS... A scholar sent it in a bag.

Who did you buy it from???

I bought it from Amazon which subbed it out to Harris Outdoors out of CT. Here's the conversation.

Here's me message to the seller:
Return reason: The shipping box or envelope and item are both damaged
Buyer comments: Who would send a 17 cal cleaning rod in a bag? It's bent like a boomerang...
frown.gif
Here's a picture;

Their reply:
1 of Pro-Shot 32 1/2-Inch Rifle .17 Caliber with Jag [ASIN: B005BSOQ7Y]

------------- Begin message -------------

Throw it away and I will send a new one Monday. I am going to flog someone in the meantime.
Bob
lol.gif

17 tactical is the .223 case necked down to 17 caliber and fire-formed to a 30 degree shoulder. The 17 Practical is just a straight neck down of the .223 to 17 with same 23 degree shoulder I believe.

Originally Posted By: The VirginianI bought it from Amazon which subbed it out to Harris Outdoors out of CT. Here's the conversation.

Here's me message to the seller:
Return reason: The shipping box or envelope and item are both damaged
Buyer comments: Who would send a 17 cal cleaning rod in a bag? It's bent like a boomerang...
frown.gif
Here's a picture;

Their reply:
1 of Pro-Shot 32 1/2-Inch Rifle .17 Caliber with Jag [ASIN: B005BSOQ7Y]

------------- Begin message -------------

Throw it away and I will send a new one Monday. I am going to flog someone in the meantime.
Bob
lol.gif

lol.gif

Ok, I haven't touched this AR 17 TAC since last fall. We had a 60 degree day today and I hit the corn field. Shot about 50 rounds with no FTF or FTE. I'm using Dakota 20 TAC brass necked down to 17 and had better results today.

Gere are a few targets and I'll post my thoughts at the bottom.

Using Varget and shooting 25 gr. bullets. Terrible results...

Using RL-15 and 30 gr. Bergers. Much better results as I was creeping up in the size load.

Best group of the day. at .409" for a 5 shot group.

My thoughts are the following:

- My upper likes RL-15 much better
- My upper likes BR4 primers
- 30 gr. bullets are where it's at.

I'm getting closer to getting this bad boy dialed in but the real challenge is acquiring 17 cal. 30 gr. bullets. To my knowledge. Todd Kindler at woodchuckden.com is the only one that makes them at this time. 60 degrees today and we have a foot of snow coming tomorrow. Boooo!

More to follow... Critters will get hammered with this rig when I get done!

Eric

What scope are you using? Are you shooting from a very solid rest? Also what is your trigger pull? Dtechs will shoot very well if you have quality components. A questionable low power or poor quality scope with a bad rest and a rough trigger, also add to the equation.

Mike probably has a list of "good" loads for his built uppers.

jrnm,

VX3 4.5-14x40, Protektor sand bags, trigger is a two stage Rock river at about 4.5 lbs. I should have mentioned that I was fireforming this brass this set of shots.

Eric

Back