My Brother's First Coyote!

Traveling Trapper

I have done a lot of coyote calling, and have got quite a few coyotes to come in, but I have only shot one, and missed the rest, lol. Don't get excited when shooting, or YOU WILL MISS THEM! I have done some calling since last October when I got mine, and have seen quite a few coyotes, but my brother, Alden, and I, finally found what they were doing, which is why we never saw them. They would either come in behind us, or would be on hills. In mid July, we went hunting one morning, and were on our second set. We both had guns, mine being a .22, and his was a scoped AR-15. I was doing the calling, started with a howl on the Primos Lil' Dog, and then went to rabbit distress with it. Alden was about 30 feet to my right, with virtually no wind, the gnats were terrible, so you can imagine us trying to be still. After about 5 minutes, Alden quietly whistled, and pointed up a hill. We were sitting on the edge of a sparse juniper tree line, with a 50 foot clearing in front of us, with a 4 wheeler trail running through it. It was the perfect place for coyotes, as long as you can see them. The map below may give you a better idea of where we were.

As you can see, right to left, the trail goes along through the clearing. I was hoping coyotes would use it to get to us. The hill where the coyote was, was bigger than it looks on the map. When Alden whistled and pointed, I looked up the hill, but it was behind a tree from me. I just waited for him to shoot. The .223 boomed, echoed, and died away. We both stood up, and started walking towards it. He said he was watching a bird, when it flew past the coyote on the top of the hill. When he saw it, she was getting up, stretching, and was turning to go, when he shot, and wasn't sure if he hit her. I don't know why she wasn't coming our way. Turns out, when we got up there, she was pretty close to dead, she was still quivering a little, so I finished her off. There was very fresh manure beside her, so we concluded that she was taking a siesta, and we woke her up. She must have been annoyed, so she relieved herself, and went, literally and fiscally. The first picture is Alden with the coyote, and the other is both of us.

We went a little while ago, and had one sneak up behind us and on a hill. Alden missed that shot, so I think we need to set up back to back and watch the hills. Hope you all enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesTwo youngins out tromping around in the hills hunting together and brothers to boot. Don't get much better than that. Nice going guys.

You're right, as brothers, we have a closer relationship than just 2 guys. Thanks all.

Nice work and good post.

Tomorrow I hope to join the club with your brother on first coyote! My brouther and I started this coyote adventure together but he has yet to get out and sight in his rifle.someday I hope! Life has a way of getting to busy. Way to spend some time with your bro. Happy hunting.

Bob

Congratulations to You and Your Brother for getting a nice Coyote.

Looks like You have some pretty tough terrain to Call and Hunt in? Maybe if You pick the highest spot and as You mentioned sit back to back to watch the area better the Coyotes won't see You before You see them!

Back