Lyman or RCBS Turret Press???

I was considering a Lyman at one time but the number of posts outlining the slopy construction caused me to locate a demo at Bass Pro to look at . I was turned off by the looseness of the mechanism. I ended up with a Redding but an RCBS would have been fine for my purposes. I have since purchased a Lee Classic Turret as well and for hand gun loading I prefer it . I use a Rock Chucker for my larger rifles and if you don't have a single stage I would get one first. It is all I had the first 30 years I loaded.

RCBS customer service is worth considering . I have delt with Lee and RCBS . There is no comparison. That is not to say Lee is unfair but RCBS is no questions ask. Most of my equipment is RCBS green and I don't think you can go wrong.

Lyman Turret presses have worked well for me over the years. I've loaded on a Tru-Line, All-American and a T-Mag II. I still have the Tru-Line, it has been converted to 7/8x14 dies and an interchangeable shell holder I used to use it for the bugs, Hornet and Bee it's in storage for now.

The only thing I didn't like about the Lyman is it didn't hold enough dies. I've switched to the Lee Cast Classic Turret press and have 10 heads set up with 16-17 die sets, best decision I ever made. With it I've been able to eliminate the third press on my bench and put in a shotshell loading station. I still have a Lyman Crusher II single stage for heavy work.

I can't compare the Lyman, cause I have never had one, But I do have a RCBS Turret and I love this thing. I use it for my handgun loading and 223. Nice for switching between dies and not having to spend time adjusting. I have an extra head with six more dies in that, so it helps make loading fo faster. I still use my Rock Chucker for my rifle.

I finally located a RCBS...Kinda cashy,but wat isn't? They wan'td $275.00,but with a $50.00 rebate isn't so bad. Other places had them for around $215.00,but all on back order and no idea when they would get any. Spending that much maybe I should have got the Redding??? I'm new to the hobby so I'll play with this one first.
smile.gif

Thanks guys for the input!

Gene

I use a Lyman T-mag II and so far it has performed great. The primer feeder leaves a lot to be desired though but from what I understand there really isn't a good primer feeder off a turret press.

They both are good brands, buy the one that melts your butter and move forward.
smile.gif

The Lyman is nice to use for bullet seating if you load multiple calibers. There is an adjustment on the back side to elimate the travel / slop. I believe it would be alright for resizing of smaller calibers and kneck sizing but if you are spinning the turret around all the time then it would likely loosen up. I prefer to use a single stage for sizing and seat with the turret press.

I had my doubts about the Lyman when I would window shop at Bass Pro but found a lightly used one at a gun show and have been very happy with it.

I think the Redding appears to be a well made press and a stronger choice of the three from what I can tell and would likely add one of those to put the resizing dies in. I think it has primer catch tube on the bottom of the ram which would be a plus.

To add to my previous post as i stated I have a Redding T-7 . The good news is it is massive and stable , the bad news is it takes a lot of deck on a small bench . I only load 22Hornets and 223's on it and it is great. I find most reloading equipment to be serviceable if used correctly. I liked the Lyman originally because of it's small footprint. Bigger rifle shells go on my Chucker.

Back