scope power for coyotes

alder

What power of scope would you recommend for coyotes
I am thinking of a 4x12x40.
Hunting would be on open areas with shots to about maximum 300 yds.
Will be using electronic caller and decoy
Thanks

I would say that a 4-12 is a good choice for what your looking for. Chances are with the wide open area your hunting the coyotes will be lured in to the decoy so your shots will not be that long. Also something to think about are the ones that won't come in to the decoy and stay out there just teasing you out on the fringe. I know some guys that want those higher power scopes like a 24x to reach right out there when they're out there a ways. Just my two cents.

4-12 or 4-16 is perfect and that will have no issue to 600 yards or more.
I run 6-18 or 6-24 down here in WY and always its on 6x when I shoot them.

That is what is on my .220 Swift.. It is one of my favorite coyote killers.. That or a 4-14..I like the higher power for longer shots.. I haven't called that much in the last 15 years.. We had so many coyotes and so many contests that calling was tough.. We got into good areas and glassed and took shots as they came.. Now coyote populations have dropped so I may try calling this fall.. There I would probably turn the scope down to the lower powers..

No matter what scope I am looking through weather it is night or day, it always seems to stay on 6X. Unless I happpen onto sunning or sleeping coyote in the field, 6x has alwyas worked for me. I would love to see a good fixed 6x42 mildot scope with a 1" tube out there for yote hunters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChupathingyI'm going to go in the other direction, my favorite is the 2-7x power range. I never feel underscoped.

Chupa

+1

There's a reason 3-9 is the most frequently purchased scope...
I don't know what the reason is. But it gives me a tingly feeling whenever I point it out.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesThere's a reason 3-9 is the most frequently purchased scope...
I don't know what the reason is. But it gives me a tingly feeling whenever I point it out.

Certainly ain't no flies on the 3-9x, but the more field of view I have, the more I want more. I guess I've never taken a shot at a coyote and thought I needed more magnification on that one. Early in my calling "career", I once used a fixed 10x and didn't know that I didn't need it, and thusly did fine with it.

Chupa

It's nice to have extra power on the scope for sighting in at the range but when you hunt coyotes you really don't need more than 6-8 power. I like 2.5 x 10 x 56.

I have a pair of 4.5x14's that have done a good job for me over the years. Both have custom dot reticles that I like. They stay on 6x unless I get one hung up way out there and then there is always time to ramp up to 14x. I'd love to see Nightforce up the max power in their NXS 42mm objective compact to 15 or 16x. With the Velocity 600 reticle it would be hard to beat for predators.

If you are ONLY considering coyote hunting in the equation on the lower end of the magnification 1X to 4X is as high as I personally like. On the upper end even if you shoot them way out yonder under hunting circumstances not much need for anything over 14X to 16X.
I have two 5-20X50mm that I use here and there and they work just fine but they stay on 5X 98.4% of the time when hunting.

+1 on the 2x7s-that is what I use on my ARs. The 7x works for sightin and I generally hunt with the scope set at 4 to 4.5 or so. Of course I hunt in the East where a 300 yd shot would be very long for me. I like the smaller size and lighter weight of the 2x7s.

My favorite coyote scope in a nokon monarch gold 1.5X6X42 I run it on my 6.8MM,20yrds running or 200yrds standing no problem.
scope is always set on 1.5 or 2 power.

Originally Posted By: GerbsA wise man told me the perfect coyote scope was the 3.5-10x40 Leupold VX-3.
That's exactly what I figgered as well....until this one showed up.....

Back