Beagle for rabbit hunting. Male or Female?

EOD23

picking up a young beagle in a couple months. My dad has had 2 beagles when I was younger living at home, both females and seemed to move the rabbits just fine. Will be hunting with just the one dog usually. Wondering if you guys have had better luck with males over females or the other way around as in jumping rabbits, tracking, training and obedience. Any information would be helpful, thanks.

I hunted beagles extensively (and coon hounds.. and bird dogs) and IMHO... it's a crap shoot. "On average" I would say females start and handle more easily and males make more aggressive hunters. There is nothing set in stone in that statement.

I will say this.. three of my last four bird dogs have been males (mostly luck of the draw). I have had them neutered *before* the age of five months. The benefits have been numerous and if I start anymore male pups I will do it again. . . in a heartbeat.

thanks for your experiences, right now i'm leaning towards a female. not looking for a dog that will smoke a rabbit trail, just move it along. If the dog turns out I'd like to breed her eventually. I've hunted with the parents and both of them did great, just hoping I don't get the black sheep that won't hunt lol

i prefer males but run two females in my kennel for breeding and simply bc there good rabbit dogs lol.. just remember females come in heat twice a year so your laid up for a month there and if your luck is anything like mine its right at the beginning of rabbit season lol... males pizz for 10 minutes before every hunt lol so you have to tolerate that but its all in what you want.. a good dog is a good dog regarless of gender!!!

yeah I did a lot of rabbit hunting when I was younger and would like to get a few dogs for it in the future. I'm just getting set for when I get out of the Army. Shortly before I left(a little over 5 years ago now) there were pockets of rabbits but were pretty scarce. The coyote numbers were high, which we have dogs for but you cant get them all. I did some research online and a few websites made it seem like there are clear cut lines between males and females, which I don't think is the case. Figured I'd get some opinions from some people with experience with multiple dogs.

I like female dogs. They always seem more obedient and less peeing and marking stuff. My female beagle has so much hunt I couldn't ask for more. She will run them till she drops over dead.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I like female dogs.

Me too. It comes down to what works for you. I've had better luck with female beagles. Good Luck

thanks for the input guys, decided to go with a female. I'll let you know how it works out, got one lined up when I get home in October.

We have had both males and females that were stars. Have females that were the sweetest dog till you get her in the woods, then they are machines. Have had both and male and female that were "aggressive". Best thing to do is build your pack with hounds that compliment each other. It's not what's between their legs that tells what kind of hunter they are, it's what is between their ears.

Originally Posted By: LedgewoodhunterIt's not what's between their legs that tells what kind of hunter they are, it's what is between their ears.

Gotta be referencing their nose and not their brain.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SwiftOriginally Posted By: LedgewoodhunterIt's not what's between their legs that tells what kind of hunter they are, it's what is between their ears.

Gotta be referencing their nose and not their brain.
lol.gif

Good ones have both....a dog with too much nose and not enough brain will make for a long day if it's constantly cold trailing on rabbits you'll never get a chance to get a shot at.

I preferred females and most of the good dogs I have owned were females. Having said that the BEST dog I ever owned, or even hunted with for that matter, was a male!

Originally Posted By: down but not outI preferred females and most of the good dogs I have owned were females.

ditto

Welcome to the Fire dbno!

Back