My first coyote

geenhead93

So we finally found time between my JV football and my little brothers sports to go on a family camping trip to our family camping spot, which is just outside of Chester, CA. (My grandpa actually lived here in a tent while my great grandpa was a logger in the 30's). My family has a strong hunting background but I am the first to get into predator hunting.(I am fifteen and just started predator hunting this year.) Anyways we had just got to our camping spot and had cooked and ate dinner. Then I convinced my thirteen year old brother to do a little predator hunting with me and the two of us headed to a large meadow just outside of camp. We walked probably 3/4 of a mile before we setup at 6:25 at the edge of the meadow with a crosswind going from our left to right. I turned on my foxpro spitfire and played lightning jack on full volume for only a minute before switching to DSG cottontail. After approximately two minutes into the DSG sequence this male coyote came trotting towards the call in front of us. He hung up at 90 yds where I shot him square in the chest with the 100 gr. Federal vital shock from my Remington 700 in .243 Win. He spun then ran approximately 20 yards where we found him dead. The bullet entered the right side of the chest and exited near the right hip leaving a nasty exit. I was very excited and calling it in on my own with just my younger brother made it that much more exciting.
Here is the spot where I shot it. The caller was about where my little brother is and I shot the coyote about 20 yds in front of the bushes behind my brother.
Here is a picture of me with the coyote
Here is a good pic of just the coyote
And lastly a picture of me my brother and the coyote

Sorry for the long post. I was really wanting to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats.
thumbup1.gif
The first one is the toughest.

Last edited:
Congrats. My first was using a decoy.

A John Deere 9410R and 24 row planter.
thumbup1.gif
Dummy came right to me, probably hoping for a mouse to spook toward him I guess. He spooked lead instead.

Good hunt. I have shot a ton of coyotes around & north of Chester & Westwood over many years when I lived in Chico.
Try the Stevens Meadow area near Silver Lake.

Hey gh93- that is super and what a great write up and story for a 15yo. Makes me have a bit more faith in the younger generation-wish more were like you. Anyway coyote hunting is an exciting and challenging hunting endeavor. Congrats on your first call in and kill. Nice pics and scenery for Kali. Congrats again.

That is awesome brother! Well done!
I will 2nd what TnTnTn said, you bring back a little faith in the next generation!
Great hunt and a well written report! And for it all to happen i will a place with family history, even better! I would be will to bet this will be a story told to more then one generation!
wink.gif

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congrats on your first!!!! That area looks familiar, I live near Chester, my guess would be Hummbug or bear flat area. Congrats again.

Back