Are the .17cals really All That?

Funnel, CRT, all the way you will like it a lot.

Nice rifle, I want to get a CZ in the 17HH.

Which loopy is that?

Harmon

Last edited:
6mm06,

Remington 7 1/2's, 25grainers, and IMR 4320 go together like Marines and booze. No need to bother with anything else.

Bettin' it clocks right around 4 grand out of your CZ.

Travis

Originally Posted By: deflave6mm06,

Remington 7 1/2's, 25grainers, and IMR 4320 go together like Marines and booze. No need to bother with anything else.

Bettin' it clocks right around 4 grand out of your CZ.

Travis

This^
4320 really starts to shine at 24grs.
I shot it for years before I found N140.
760 gives good accuracy too but it's dirty and slow.

24.0 grains is my go-to in the .17 Rem. Not too slow, not too fast, but juuuust right.

760?? You're showin' your age Pete...
grin.gif

Travis

I only shot two groups as posted above, so I'm just getting started with 4320. I'll work up to 24 gr. and give that a go.

I don't have any Remington primers, only CCI 400s and also some Winchester small rifle primers. I may have a few Federal Match primers.

A local gun shop has, or at least recently had some N140, but as I recall it was pushing $50 a pound, slightly under. That's pretty stiff, but if it would shoot tiny groups, I wouldn't hesitate.

I'll chronograph my 4320 loads later, but I was figuring it would be somewhere around 3800 fps, maybe even a tad bit less, that according to data in a Hodgdon manual. Would be a nice surprise if it shoots faster.

I'm hoping to try this bullet / load combination on a coyote soon (got one coming regularly to my bait site) combined with a home-made night vision outfit I put together this summer. I admit to being a bit nervous over the idea of taking a coyote with a small 25 gr. bullet. I'm a bit like Elmer Keith in that I tend to go higher rather than lower, so the .17 is taking some getting used with the thoughts of that tiny bullet.

Bobtails, yea, that's what I hear and what I am hoping for. Good fortune has been with me so far and I haven't lost a single coyote that I have squeezed the trigger on, which isn't many, but enough - something like 15. I sure would hate to break my record.

Deflave, yea the CZ has a 24" barrel.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I don't have any Remington primers, only CCI 400s and also some Winchester small rifle primers. I may have a few Federal Match primers.

I'd get some 7.5's or even BR4's if you can find some.
JMO

Oh,,, and don't worry. That little pill will kill a Coyote and then some unless you hit em bad.
Then it'll just make em wish they were dead.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Deflave, yea the CZ has a 24" barrel.

22" barrel gives me 4,050 ish with 24.0gr's of 4320. My 24" BDL was 4,100ish.

I have always used the Bergers on dogs. Kills them dead.

Travis

Back