Savage B-mag range report......finally!!

NYyotekiller

Well I finally managed to track down some .17 WSM ammo for my new Bmag after staring at the gun for two weeks with no ammo for it. I ended up finding it at Dick's sporting goods and got the 20, and the 25 grainers to try. the first thing I noticed was how this little guy didn't really feel like I was shooting a rimfire. It just felt like a smaller caliber centerfire because of the sound and recoil it has. First I shot from 50 yards with the 25 grain bullets.

Next I tried from 100 yards.

Next I shot the 20 grainers to see how they would shoot.

They shot quite differently surprisingly like I had heard that they do from others. The only issue I have with the rifle is a very small amount of creep in the trigger. Hopefully with use this issue will resolve itself. Next up for the Bmag is going to be some crow sniping to see what this caliber will do on some game. The local crows in my area better keep their heads on a swivel.

I've had my B-Mag for a few weeks, and to be honest, it hasn't impressed me at all. I'm starting to believe there's more hype than I imagined.
Hope yours does better than mine has so far.

Originally Posted By: EsauI've had my B-Mag for a few weeks, and to be honest, it hasn't impressed me at all. I'm starting to believe there's more hype than I imagined.

If it ain't to much trouble, maybe you could expand on what it is that hasn't impressed you.

I have a few Savages and have never had a problem. Good to see you didn't mention extracting issues. Only seen the Bmag in pictures but will probably need one.

I have had zero of the issues like others have had with extracting. Actually the rifle works flawlessly like it was intended to do. I don't believe that this rifle is a tack driver like my other savages, but where this caliber should shine is when used on game. It should be deadly on varmints and can't wait to see how she does.

Originally Posted By: NYyotekillerI have had zero of the issues like others have had with extracting. Actually the rifle works flawlessly like it was intended to do. I don't believe that this rifle is a tack driver like my other savages, but where this caliber should shine is when used on game. It should be deadly on varmints and can't wait to see how she does.

Glad to hear they got one right.

Should be a wicked varmint round.

Originally Posted By: EsauI've had my B-Mag for a few weeks, and to be honest, it hasn't impressed me at all. I'm starting to believe there's more hype than I imagined.

Have you shot any game with it? I'd like to know how the round itself performs on game...

A guy can wait for a CZ or Ruger...

I have my ideas but real world performance tends to be more valuable. Particularly in coyote sized game.

I'm also curious as to what hasn't impressed you about your B-mag?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: FurhunterIt should be noted the extraction issues have been on the model 25's in 17Hornet not on the B Mag rifles in 17WSM.
I know of one 17WSM locally that has extraction issuses . Here is one on PM....
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...824#Post2521824

I'm not saying they don't or wont but overwhelmingly it's been the 25's since very few have reported even being able to find ammo or rifles to shoot the new round thru.

Originally Posted By: brainedOriginally Posted By: EsauI've had my B-Mag for a few weeks, and to be honest, it hasn't impressed me at all. I'm starting to believe there's more hype than I imagined.

Have you shot any game with it? I'd like to know how the round itself performs on game...

A guy can wait for a CZ or Ruger...

I have my ideas but real world performance tends to be more valuable. Particularly in coyote sized game.

Just watched a tv show where they shot the new 17wsm, I think it was Winchester legends. They were hunting yotes and stopped to kill some pdogs. One yote was killed using just the 17wsm, shot looked to be a little bit behind the optimal spot, but the yote dropped. It was thumping the pdogs pretty dang good.

Guy was shooting the 17wsm in a rolling/falling block single shot, which was amusing.

I can only imagine how much the fox hunters will enjoy this round

Originally Posted By: calling4lifeJust watched a tv show where they shot the new 17wsm, I think it was Winchester legends. They were hunting yotes and stopped to kill some pdogs. One yote was killed using just the 17wsm, shot looked to be a little bit behind the optimal spot, but the yote dropped. It was thumping the pdogs pretty dang good.

Guy was shooting the 17wsm in a rolling/falling block single shot, which was amusing.

I can only imagine how much the fox hunters will enjoy this round

I know I can't wait to try this round out on some varmints. I think it's gonna be a winner winner chicken parm dinner!!

The hype I was making reference to was how well it was suppose to shoot. I'm waiting on more bullets, all I have right now are the 25 grain Winchester. (That's all I can find right now)
Hopefully that will make a difference. The first couple of shots do fair, within an inch at 100 yds, but anything after that isn't good. Yea, I know the barrel gets hot, but, maybe I expected more, we'll see.

And No I've not shot any game yet. Don't have that much ammo. Nor have I had any extraction issues, I have had some shells not fire. Which I was told it was because the brass was thicker than normal.

Last edited:
My father just bought one and we both bought ammo. It took some calling around but we found 6 boxes of 20gr at $14.99. I read the post about the ejection problem so I told my dad to just for kicks before we leave to put some bullets in and make sure it ejects we were on a trip 300 miles from home at Cabela's. Well it didn't eject. With some examination we found that the piece of metal that kicks the bullet out was broke off he was fortunate that Cabela's let him exchange it for another that works fine. I thought about buying one but with my dads problems and after holding it I didn't get that have to have it feeling, it felt a little cheap but it is a fairly inexpensive gun. I'm excited about the caliber I think its going to be a great round but I think I'm going to wait and see what other rifles come out. I just hope it doesn't take that long. Now I have ammo but no gun to shoot it. I will say my dad has shot a box of ammo and he really likes the gun so far no issues with it shoots good not great but he's happy with it.

It may be along time before we see any other bolt rifles in this caliber. If you can't use an existing rifle and have to develop a new one that's going to take time and money. The B-mag is up in price with the Axis and Ruger American. When the 17 HMR came out if your company made a 22 mag it was an easy conversion. But for the 17 WSM you need to design a whole new rifle that currently only uses one caliber. I'd be more interested in a 22 WSM, mainly because I hate cleaning 17 rifles.

Originally Posted By: EsauThe first couple of shots do fair, within an inch at 100 yds, but anything after that isn't good.

I haven't shot mine yet past 100 yards, what kind of groups did you get at the farther distances?

Back