Pleasant Surprise Whistle Up

vicfox

I haven't been calling as hard this year and even had a couple of locations that I'd not visited this
year although Sunday I had a family commitment to meet but on the way I stopped off around 2.30 pm to
give one such place a call.
I set up down wind and windy it was but I'd always done well there in the past just a bit late in the
year for whistling which clashes with the fox mating season which usually spell the end of much interest in any response to a distress sound.

My confidence wasn't high but I'd set the camera up and started off the whistling with the Tenterfield
trying to remain optimistic watching the area ahead of me which was a fenced gully holding lots of cover
amidst sheep country.
My attention was quickly drawn to something running my way along a the fence line
but it dashed into the cover. Reviewing the footage later relieved it to be a rabbit although I was
sure it was a fox, minutes passed without it reappearing.
I gave a few minutes between whistles that only ever last a couple of breaths anyway and without time
to squeeze in another stand location before my meeting my 3.30 pm appointment I persevered where I sat.

I had the camera recording for most of the session so maybe I was more confident subconsciously than I recall but just as well because at the exact place I saw movement earlier I see movement and this time it was clear that it was a fox. Again cover was the chosen avenue so needed to wait anxiously for it's
reappearance.
It wasn't long before The Fox popped out of the cover seating itself to survey the situation before
badging in. To prompt it in I implemented the technical lip squeak but battling the wind I had to up
the volume to draw a result and once the pitch cut through the wind the Fox raced towards me

For the rest of the story you'll have to watch the clip as my one finger typing has my pointer down to the second knuckle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmzPN6eUj64&feature=share&list=UUGwOHwi3N8IFxh_e6-Gkg8w.

Last edited:
thumbup1.gif

Thanks to those who went to the trouble to post a comment. Seems we are all getting complacent when it comes to posting topics and comments these days but always encouraging to see interest in a topic.

Back