DPMS AR-15 Rifles and Accessories

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2526323 - 08/02/13 05:31 PM Savage B-mag range report......finally!!
NYyotekiller Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Van Etten, NY
Well I finally managed to track down some .17 WSM ammo for my new Bmag after staring at the gun for two weeks with no ammo for it. I ended up finding it at Dick's sporting goods and got the 20, and the 25 grainers to try. the first thing I noticed was how this little guy didn't really feel like I was shooting a rimfire. It just felt like a smaller caliber centerfire because of the sound and recoil it has. First I shot from 50 yards with the 25 grain bullets.

Next I tried from 100 yards.

Next I shot the 20 grainers to see how they would shoot.

They shot quite differently surprisingly like I had heard that they do from others. The only issue I have with the rifle is a very small amount of creep in the trigger. Hopefully with use this issue will resolve itself. Next up for the Bmag is going to be some crow sniping to see what this caliber will do on some game. The local crows in my area better keep their heads on a swivel.

#2526345 - 08/02/13 06:52 PM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: NYyotekiller]
Esau Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I've had my B-Mag for a few weeks, and to be honest, it hasn't impressed me at all. I'm starting to believe there's more hype than I imagined.
Hope yours does better than mine has so far.

#2526378 - 08/02/13 08:27 PM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: Esau]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Esau
I've had my B-Mag for a few weeks, and to be honest, it hasn't impressed me at all. I'm starting to believe there's more hype than I imagined.

If it ain't to much trouble, maybe you could expand on what it is that hasn't impressed you.

#2526385 - 08/02/13 08:42 PM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: NYyotekiller]
Smackem223 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Iowa
I have a few Savages and have never had a problem. Good to see you didn't mention extracting issues. Only seen the Bmag in pictures but will probably need one.

#2526536 - 08/03/13 07:58 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: NYyotekiller]
NYyotekiller Offline
Die Hard Member

I have had zero of the issues like others have had with extracting. Actually the rifle works flawlessly like it was intended to do. I don't believe that this rifle is a tack driver like my other savages, but where this caliber should shine is when used on game. It should be deadly on varmints and can't wait to see how she does.

#2526551 - 08/03/13 08:34 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: NYyotekiller]
Furhunter Online
PM senior

Loc: Western Colorado
It should be noted the extraction issues have been on the model 25's in 17Hornet not on the B Mag rifles in 17WSM.

I used to think the lowest life form on earth was a lawyer. Recently, after some thought I realized I was wrong, it's the politician.

NRA Life Member
RMGO.org Member

#2526557 - 08/03/13 08:44 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: Furhunter]
Tim Neitzke Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: South of the U.P.
Originally Posted By: Furhunter
It should be noted the extraction issues have been on the model 25's in 17Hornet not on the B Mag rifles in 17WSM.

I know of one 17WSM locally that has extraction issuses . Here is one on PM....
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...824#Post2521824

Get the good stuff at.....
www.no-off-season.com

*** Looking to buy .172" (30gr) Berger match BT. PM with info ***

#2526559 - 08/03/13 08:49 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: NYyotekiller]
Tim Neitzke Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: South of the U.P.
Originally Posted By: NYyotekiller
I have had zero of the issues like others have had with extracting. Actually the rifle works flawlessly like it was intended to do. I don't believe that this rifle is a tack driver like my other savages, but where this caliber should shine is when used on game. It should be deadly on varmints and can't wait to see how she does.

Glad to hear they got one right.

Should be a wicked varmint round.

Get the good stuff at.....
www.no-off-season.com

*** Looking to buy .172" (30gr) Berger match BT. PM with info ***

#2526561 - 08/03/13 09:03 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: Esau]
brained Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: SE Texas

Have you shot any game with it? I'd like to know how the round itself performs on game...

A guy can wait for a CZ or Ruger...

I have my ideas but real world performance tends to be more valuable. Particularly in coyote sized game.

#2526587 - 08/03/13 10:19 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: Esau]
NYyotekiller Offline
Die Hard Member

I'm also curious as to what hasn't impressed you about your B-mag?

#2526593 - 08/03/13 10:38 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: Tim Neitzke]
Furhunter Online
PM senior

Loc: Western Colorado
Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke
Originally Posted By: Furhunter

I know of one 17WSM locally that has extraction issuses . Here is one on PM....
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...824#Post2521824

I'm not saying they don't or wont but overwhelmingly it's been the 25's since very few have reported even being able to find ammo or rifles to shoot the new round thru.

I used to think the lowest life form on earth was a lawyer. Recently, after some thought I realized I was wrong, it's the politician.

NRA Life Member
RMGO.org Member

#2526649 - 08/03/13 01:24 PM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: brained]
calling4life Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Circle Pines, MN
Originally Posted By: brained

Have you shot any game with it? I'd like to know how the round itself performs on game...

A guy can wait for a CZ or Ruger...

I have my ideas but real world performance tends to be more valuable. Particularly in coyote sized game.

Just watched a tv show where they shot the new 17wsm, I think it was Winchester legends. They were hunting yotes and stopped to kill some pdogs. One yote was killed using just the 17wsm, shot looked to be a little bit behind the optimal spot, but the yote dropped. It was thumping the pdogs pretty dang good.

Guy was shooting the 17wsm in a rolling/falling block single shot, which was amusing.

I can only imagine how much the fox hunters will enjoy this round

#2526660 - 08/03/13 01:41 PM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: calling4life]
NYyotekiller Offline
Die Hard Member

Originally Posted By: calling4life
Just watched a tv show where they shot the new 17wsm, I think it was Winchester legends. They were hunting yotes and stopped to kill some pdogs. One yote was killed using just the 17wsm, shot looked to be a little bit behind the optimal spot, but the yote dropped. It was thumping the pdogs pretty dang good.

Guy was shooting the 17wsm in a rolling/falling block single shot, which was amusing.

I can only imagine how much the fox hunters will enjoy this round

I know I can't wait to try this round out on some varmints. I think it's gonna be a winner winner chicken parm dinner!!

#2527447 - 08/05/13 10:52 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: NYyotekiller]
MGYSGT Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Arizona
How much $$$$$$ is the Ammo?

IF YOU DIDN'T VOTE, DON'T COMPLAIN.

#2527458 - 08/05/13 11:09 AM Re: Savage Bmag range report......finally!! [Re: NYyotekiller]
NYyotekiller Offline
Die Hard Member

I paid $15.99 for the 25 grain, and $14.99 for the 20's. Right around the same price for 17 HMR ammo.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Jack Roberts, OldTurtle, venatic 

Forum Stats
48107 Members
83 Forums
286605 Topics
2709394 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
dbcooper, deerassassin, esmith4211, First Timer, goble, gonzmg, jhg101, jim8377, kgutjahr, Magnum 22, Mapes, The Kentucky Predator, VirginiaHunter, yoteman2

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.