Keyholing suddenly! Ahhh! 17Rem...

Keep us posted after you get it cleaned good and a trip to the range. I've been watching this thread and have my ideas, but would like to see what actually works.

I kinda suspect a carbon ring has built up, deforming the bullets and causing slight keyholing. We'll see. I will deninately post my methods and the results.

SCRUB!

HARDER!

SCRUB!

HARDER!

grin.gif

Travis

Originally Posted By: deflave

You vultures just remember I called dibs in case he says good bye to the .17 world.

Travis

What??!!
glare.gif
You already have to many 17's, this I believe should be mine.
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: K22Originally Posted By: deflave

You vultures just remember I called dibs in case he says good bye to the .17 world.

Travis

What??!!
glare.gif
You already have to many 17's, this I believe should be mine.
tt2.gif

I agree and personally think it should be mine, it's the right thing to do.

You don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.

Have no idea what might be causing key holing. But I can say that a 17 Cal even a 17 HMR can be a real booger to clean the carbon out of. I made the mistake of shooting a ruff count of 1200 rounds through my 17 HMR with out cleaning, accuracy had went to [beeep] in a hand basket.It took me a couple of days of scrubbing and soaking to get a patch to come out with out any black on it. what a chore, now I'll clean about every 250 rounds.If I had ,had a chamber plug so I could fill the barrel and really let it soak it would not have taken so long or would not have been so much work me thinks.

Originally Posted By: JeepyjerYou don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.

Just curious has to how brass causes keyholing?

Originally Posted By: BeluebowOriginally Posted By: JeepyjerYou don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.

I was wondering that too???

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: BeluebowOriginally Posted By: JeepyjerYou don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.

I know how. But it's one of those deals where if I tell ya, I have to kill ya.

I know nobody wants to die over a lil old keyhole issue. My lips are sealed.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: BeluebowOriginally Posted By: JeepyjerYou don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.

If you put 44mag brass over the end of the muzzle of a 17hmr it will make the bullet tumble when it comes out...

Originally Posted By: coleridgeIf you put 44mag brass over the end of the muzzle of a 17hmr it will make the bullet tumble when it comes out...

That's why I only use 45 Long Colt brass.

Duh.

Travis

Originally Posted By: JeepyjerYou don't need to scrub that bore so much run sweets tell the blue go's away and your done.Try some new brass I think the problem might be in the brass or bore.I hardly clean my guns even my 17hmr can run a few hundred before it needs cleaning.
lol.gif

Lots of silliness here.

Especially the brass issue and then comparing the cleaning needs of a 17 HMR to that of a CF 17 Remington. Its all kind of like comparing the speed of a Yugo to an Indy race car for tire changes.
w00t.gif

Back