Thoughts on the Ruger SR22

H82Miss

I'm considering buying an SR22 and would like some opinions from my most trusted group of fellow firearms enthusiasts.
Here's some background and the reason for the interest:
I have 2 beautiful,young daughters, ages 7 & 9. Both enjoy hunting, fishing, and the outdoors. My youngest has taken particular interest in shooting handguns. She loves to shoot my Browning Buckmark. Problem is, she is tiny and has very small hands. She manages, but I think a smaller gripped, lighter pistol would be easier and more fun for her.
Here's a pic and vid of her shooting the Buckmark.

I've looked around and found the SR22 to be just about exactly what I've been looking for.
My daughter and I went to the local gun store and found an SR22 with a raspberry frame, she loved it.

So.....do I buy it? Is it reliable? Is $330 a fair price for it?
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
The SR-22's are a great little gun! Cycle nearly all types of ammo and have a good price point. $330 is a great deal.

If I were to buy a non-target .22 that would be the one!

My 15 year old daughter loves shooting mine/hers, she's pretty sure it will be hers. Cycled about 50 rounds of Remington crap without a problem the other day because it's the only new ammo I could find. That first trigger pull is pretty long and they have to stay with it, slow and steady. I'd say go for it.

Neat gun, they feel like a quality product, unlike some small .22LR semi autos. Go for it and if the girls like raspberry, go along with it. They're the ones you're wanting to please. Don

Buy it.
It'll match her head gear.
smile.gif

Ruger seldom makes junk and they stand behind their product as well if not better than any.

Originally Posted By: hunt-m-upMy 15 year old daughter loves shooting mine/hers, she's pretty sure it will be hers. Cycled about 50 rounds of Remington crap without a problem the other day because it's the only new ammo I could find. That first trigger pull is pretty long and they have to stay with it, slow and steady. I'd say go for it.

If you pull hammer back with thumb before 1st shot,trigger pull is same as the rest.
Ive put over 500 rds of differant bulk ammo thru mine.So far cycled everything ive tried.

My wife and 9 year old daughter have the exact gun you pictured. They have sent close to 1K through it with not a single issue that was the guns fault. I say go back and buy it today! Your daughter will love it and you will have created another lifetime shooter. Enjoy the time at the range with them!

I have one, shoot it all the time. Very reliable and can shoot any ammo through it with no problems. Buy it you wont be sorry.

Excellent feedback! Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to buy it next week. l'll post pics of the girls shooting it next time we go shooting, if we can find some ammo.
Thanks again!

Well, we went to go buy the raspberry SR22 today and it was gone. They expected to get 2 on the truck today, but got 2 stainless models instead.
The girls and I were a little bummed. We had even got the green light from mom to buy it.
The man behind the counter gave me his card and told me to call next Wednesday, he thinks they may get another raspberry model or 2 next week. Fingers crossed.
We did however score 500 rounds of 22LR for $.08/rnd. Not a great price, but the best price I've seen in a while.

I have had one for a little while , not one single issue. My wife likes it so well we are going to go get her one tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: bobeanoOriginally Posted By: hunt-m-upMy 15 year old daughter loves shooting mine/hers, she's pretty sure it will be hers. Cycled about 50 rounds of Remington crap without a problem the other day because it's the only new ammo I could find. That first trigger pull is pretty long and they have to stay with it, slow and steady. I'd say go for it.

If you pull hammer back with thumb before 1st shot,trigger pull is same as the rest.
Ive put over 500 rds of differant bulk ammo thru mine.So far cycled everything ive tried.

Agreed, but in my daughters case there's another motive, I want her to be comfortable with the DA trigger also in case I want her to carry it or a .380/9MM in a few years. I was pleased with how this little pistol cycled everything right out of the box without a break-in period.

Originally Posted By: hunt-m-upOriginally Posted By: bobeanoOriginally Posted By: hunt-m-upMy 15 year old daughter loves shooting mine/hers, she's pretty sure it will be hers. Cycled about 50 rounds of Remington crap without a problem the other day because it's the only new ammo I could find. That first trigger pull is pretty long and they have to stay with it, slow and steady. I'd say go for it.

Agreed, but in my daughters case there's another motive, I want her to be comfortable with the DA trigger also in case I want her to carry it or a .380/9MM in a few years. I was pleased with how this little pistol cycled everything right out of the box without a break-in period.

My wife used this for her CCW class vs one of the 9mm's that we have for her. It is a great training tool and has been mentioned cycles anything we have sent through it.

Sorry it was gone when you went back but hopefully they get one in next week for you.

Originally Posted By: H82Miss
Well, we went to go buy the raspberry SR22 today and it was gone. They expected to get 2 on the truck today, but got 2 stainless models instead.
The girls and I were a little bummed. We had even got the green light from mom to buy it.
The man behind the counter gave me his card and told me to call next Wednesday, he thinks they may get another raspberry model or 2 next week. Fingers crossed.
We did however score 500 rounds of 22LR for $.08/rnd. Not a great price, but the best price I've seen in a while.

Nothing will bum you out quite like that, especially after having the 'go-ahead'. Hopefully you track down a raspberry one quickly!

Back