17 Hornet ammo update

17freak

This may be old news to some but I spoke with Hornady this afternoon regarding the availability of 17 Hornet ammo. What I was told is that they are waiting on their supplier to send them their cases so that they can begin loading the product. Hornady does not make the cases for the 17 Hornet. What happened to create the primer issues with this round is that the primer pockets were not made uniform in diameter causing the primers to blowback along with gases. The temporary solution was to stake the primers as is being done with military ammo that's used in full auto weapons.
I could not get a date when the cases would be delivered. I also imagine that there will be some exhausting tests before they go into production in order to avoid the staking issue.
The best I could get was sometime this fall.
Hope this helps answer the why for those of us that didn't know what was going on.

I know where there is some 17 Hornet ammo in OH. I can get you the 2 gun shops #'s and you can go from there.

Mark

I appreciate the update, I've been getting it from a local gun store. On gun broker there is some ammo for sale but the bids usually get well over a dollar/bullet from what I've seen.

Originally Posted By: 17freak What happened to create the primer issues with this round is that the primer pockets were not made uniform in diameter causing the primers to blowback along with gases. The temporary solution was to stake the primers as is being done with military ammo that's used in full auto weapons.

That is the first I have heard about any primer issues. Where did you hear that?

I first heard about it on Saubier site and then had it confirmed yesterday by the Hornet rep. There has been some damage caused to bolt faces. Not all lots of the ammo experienced the problem which the rep indicated was caused by the manufacture of the cases.

Additional information was received from Hornady today detailing staked ammo.
Hornady began staking the 17 Hornet on May 10 of this year. If you see ammo with a lot # of 3131320 or higher you will be purchasing staked ammo. That means you should not experience any primer issues.

They have not received the new cases so there is still no new ammo being produced. Again I was told that I should not reload cases that have been staked.

Originally Posted By: 17freak Again I was told that I should not reload cases that have been staked.
IMO due to this the ammo that is staked and with useless brass ought to be at least $6 lower!
The primer pockets were made to loose in the staked stuff..

Sorry I'm not any help. I'll have to research this more. This is the first I've heard about any issues. I'm glad I stocked up on loaded ammo, brass, and bullets when the rifle was being built!

If you have a press, dies and a trimmer It ain't rocket science to make your own from 22 hornet brass. Guys shooting the 17AH have been doing it for like..... 30 years now.

I gave up on buying a .17 Hornet Rifle,Savage was having issues and no one had any CZ Rifles in stock or pleaded insanity about even ordering one of them....been to several Guns Stores and no .17 Hornet Ammo in Stock either?

I ended up ordering a Savage .17 WSM instead....got. 6 boxs of Ammo bought up and just waiting on the Rifle to magically appear now? LOL
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockHornady will be making another run of .17 Hornet ammo after the 1st of the year...

Sure hope your right. Do you know if the primers will still be crimped ( pinned )?? Or will it be useable for reloading with out swedging (reaming)?

Take care, Willie

Originally Posted By: wdenike
Sure hope your right. Do you know if the primers will still be crimped ( pinned )?? Or will it be useable for reloading with out swedging (reaming)?
Take care, Willie

I have never heard of the 17 Hornet being crimped. I dont think any of the ammo I have is. Sportsmans Warehouse here has it on the shelf

This is the first Ive heard of any issues as well. My calling partner has one so I told him to check his ammo, sure enough his lot numbers are higher that what was posted here and his primers are in fact crimped. I told him to get a hold of hornady and see what they tell him. I actually just purchased some more ammo from a fellow member via the classifieds for him so ill have to take a look at it when it shows up.

Originally Posted By: 5spdOriginally Posted By: 17freak Again I was told that I should not reload cases that have been staked.
IMO due to this the ammo that is staked and with useless brass ought to be at least $6 lower!
The primer pockets were made to loose in the staked stuff..

I agree. If this brass is garbage hornady should be providing a steep discount or at the very least sending out replacement brass for those shooters who bought factory ammo just to shoot up for the brass.

I'm at a friend's house and he had read the thread. He has ammo with a lot # 3132241, and the primer pockets are definitely crimped/staked.

The staking is not as prominent as you'd find on military 5.56 ball ammo, but again it is definitely crimped.

Back